New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]

• 75 replies
Re: New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »
That is exactly what I'm saying Baldi. That a team of elite freshman could go to the NIT, and I'd be content.

Do I think they'll do better than that? Perhaps I do, but to expect any group of freshman to dance is straight up nuts.

It hasn't happened since the Fab Fab.

I think we need to wait a few years before we call this program "elite." But it sounds like to me that youre talking down to some teams, yet St Johns has sucked and hasnt done anything in a long time.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »
No offense to you and the Iona faithful, but yes, I am talking down to them until they do something worth recognizing.

At this point, it would take several more reasons with at least 20 wins to raise you up to the lofty heights of Hofstra.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:37:30 PM by Poison »

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
No offense to you and the Iona faithful, but yes, I am talking down to them until they do something worth recognizing.

At this point, it would take several more reasons with at least 20'wins to raise you up to the lofty heights of Hofstra.

HAHA, but what the hell has St Johns done? Hofstra is a bad example, the Pride has beaten St Johns 4 out of the last 5 times they played.

Poison

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
No, Baldi, the Pride is a great example. They've had several 20+ win seasons.

You want to play SJU, you'll have to get in line behind the locals who've accomplished more than you have.

And like it or not, Hofstra is one of those programs.

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »
No, Baldi, the Pride is a great example. They've had several 20+ win seasons.

You want to play SJU, you'll have to get in line behind the locals who've accomplished more than you have.

And like it or not, Hofstra is one of those programs.

What have you done for me lately? Youre living in the past with these programs,SJU and Hofstra. Hofstra plays IONA in late December, im not afraid of the Pride at all. 

Your jumping the gun with the St Johns elite talk imo. Take your own advice, win some game first,go to some tourny's.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
We went to the NIT last year with Norm Roberts as our coach.

What did Iona do after losing to Fairfield in March?

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
We went to the NIT last year with Norm Roberts as our coach.

What did Iona do after losing to Fairfield in March?

They got invites but didnt want to pay to play in those other tournys.  Im looking forward to traveling to a NCAA 1st round site to watch the Gaels. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the St Johns NIT game on TV

Poison

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Iona was invited to the CBI. They should have accepted the invite. They were clearly not good enough to dance, or they would have danced.

Sounds like the Iona faithful are a tad delusional. 3 years ago you were the worst team in college ball. At least when we were offered the CBI, we recognized that's where our program was at the time.

The coaches have picked Iona to finish 4th in the MAAC. Why is that cause for such respect? This is a team that SJU should be playing? I don't get it. We played the class of the MAAC at a nuetral site, and we won. And we did despite having a f'n nice person for a coach.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:42:23 PM by Poison »

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
Iona was invited to the CBI. They should have accepted the invite. They were clearly not good enough to dance, or they would have danced.

Sounds like the Iona faithful are a tad delusional. At least when we were offered the CBI, we recognized that's where our program was at the time.

The coaches have picked Iona to finish 4th in the MAAC. Why is that cause for such respect? This is a team that SJU should be playing? I don't get it. We played the class of the MAAC at a nuetral site, and we won. And we did despite having a f'n nice person for a coach.

Cause some coches like St Peters'

Sounds like the Iona faithful are a tad delusional. At least when we were offered the CBI, we recognized that's where our program was at the time.

Cause some coaches like St Peters' John Dunne voted his team #1 but who cares about coaches poll. Hell, St Johns was #1 in Pitino's mind.

Where have I made delusional statements in this thread? I said a few times that whatever MAAC team wins the tourny will be the only team in the dance.

I guess you think St Johns is better off playing Columbia and Fordham?

Poison

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
St.John's is playing St.Mary's and Ball State. Two mid majors that play in a much better conference than the MAAC.

Fordham is a gimme. Not every single game will be a challenge. Look at your schedule. You're playing Bryant. Nuff said.

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »
St.John's is playing St.Mary's and Ball State. Two mid majors that play in a much better conference than the MAAC.

Fordham is a gimme. Not every single game will be a challenge. Look at your schedule. You're playing Bryant. Nuff said.

St Johns wouldnt play Iona, so they got Bryant instead. Both would be W's for the Gaels.

Will you be rooting for the Gaels in the Ncaa's the next 2 years til St Johns becomes an elite program? ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:56:23 PM by Marco Baldi »

Poison

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
I'll be rooting for the Gaels. No doubt about it.

But to ask the question that we asked Norm for 6 years, where are YOUR recruits?

I can tell you that I'll be sitting a few rows behind two top 50 recruits tonight.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 02:10:26 PM »

Poison

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Baldi, i just read that link. Are you serious? That looks like a garbage class.

The only name there that looks a D1 player is Glover. And there is obviously something wrong w him, or he wouldn't have signed on originally to play for Bobby G.

What about next year? Year after?

SJU is set up like Duke, M State, NC and Syracuse on the recruiting front. You gotta recognize that.

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
That is exactly what I'm saying Baldi. That a team of elite freshman could go to the NIT, and I'd be content.

Do I think they'll do better than that? Perhaps I do, but to expect any group of freshman to dance is straight up nuts.

It hasn't happened since the Fab Fab.

last year at kentucky was pretty closs all though they did have a junior in patterson
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
Wow, he turned down offers from Depaul and USF. That must have kept him up all night.

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
Wow, he turned down offers from Depaul and USF. That must have kept him up all night.

South Fla finished above St Johns last year

Poison

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
We beat USF into next week every season.

Are you really bragging about a recruit picking Iona over USF?

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
We beat USF into next week every season.

Are you really bragging about a recruit picking Iona over USF?

No, but I'll take a recruit who had Big East offers anytime