St. John's makes student tickets free

• 29 replies
St. John's makes student tickets free
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
http://www.stjohns.edu/campus/queens/clubs/Johnnies_Club/tickets.stj

as a student season ticket holder I don't know what to think.  It basically means I spent 99 bucks for only the MSG games and that kind of bothers me but I like that we will have more energy in the arena.

Re: St. John's makes student tickets free
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
http://www.stjohns.edu/campus/queens/clubs/Johnnies_Club/tickets.stj

as a student season ticket holder I don't know what to think.  It basically means I spent 99 bucks for only the MSG games and that kind of bothers me but I like that we will have more energy in the arena.

Yea, this is something that should have been decided a lot earlier than now.  As someone who isnt a student, i dont mind spending an extra few bucks to offset the revenue to get a better atmosphere at the games.   

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »
interesting...I hope students take advantage...although I'm sure tons will have no idea about this

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
What is the maximum number of students they will do this for? Does anyone know?

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
It's about time! I've only been saying this forever. It's funny too I had a talk with the new director of the tickets and I mentioned some of these things and she had a pre-prompted response for everything and didn't want to hear what I had to say. Next thing you know things change. Good.

I do feel for season ticket holders. They do this to regular season tix holders too when they do these buy one get one promotions in the middle of the year. Whats the reward of being a season tix holder?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
It's about time! I've only been saying this forever. It's funny too I had a talk with the new director of the tickets and I mentioned some of these things and she had a pre-prompted response for everything and didn't want to hear what I had to say. Next thing you know things change. Good.

I do feel for season ticket holders. They do this to regular season tix holders too when they do these buy one get one promotions in the middle of the year. Whats the reward of being a season tix holder?

We get courtside at MSG and Big East Tourney Tickets (maybe, who knows after last years MVP-point based debacle) and priority in the student sections behind the baskets, but they have no way of enforcing that.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
I made a mention that there really is no student section at MSG and she completely disagreed with me. I said instead of having both ends of the basket to just buy out one section.

It's silly to spread the the seats out because then people who have tickets there don't want people standing in front of them.

At each baseline there are 2 sections. We'll say Left and Right. Instead of selling the first 4 rows in Left and Right just sell 8 rows in left. This way non students can sit on one side and students in the other. This is assuming you want to maintain students at each basket.

IF NOT

Then sell the away side bench to just students so they can pack it in and be even more vocal in the 2nd half of games.

She blamed students for selling their tickets on stub hub which happens but still the spread of the tickets is just ridiculous. I know students who had Row B while others had row H and if they wanted to sit together the ushers gave them a hard time. If you buy the block of tickets and make it general admission for this eliminates all problems.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
I made a mention that there really is no student section at MSG and she completely disagreed with me. I said instead of having both ends of the basket to just buy out one section.

It's silly to spread the the seats out because then people who have tickets there don't want people standing in front of them.

At each baseline there are 2 sections. We'll say Left and Right. Instead of selling the first 4 rows in Left and Right just sell 8 rows in left. This way non students can sit on one side and students in the other. This is assuming you want to maintain students at each basket.

IF NOT

Then sell the away side bench to just students so they can pack it in and be even more vocal in the 2nd half of games.

She blamed students for selling their tickets on stub hub which happens but still the spread of the tickets is just ridiculous. I know students who had Row B while others had row H and if they wanted to sit together the ushers gave them a hard time. If you buy the block of tickets and make it general admission for this eliminates all problems.
Exactly, that is my biggest gripe.  It's such common sense to make it GA or just check student ID's.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
There just has to be a better way to do it. I know that St. John's is trying to make strides and I applaud them for trying but better results need to occur. This will become a much bigger problem with the team projected to win more.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
David, who is "she"?

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
i agree the student section at msg is non existent for a number of reasons stated above.  however i would say part of it is the students too.  i see too many of them sitting instead of standing up and cheering.  leaders of the student section must spread themselves out to force the students to stand.  section 6 of carnesecca have that problem too occasionally.  bring back the "We are St. John's!" chant.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
David, who is "she"?

New ticket director who took over for Dennis Myron. Her name escapes me. I want to say Melissa something.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »
i agree the student section at msg is non existent for a number of reasons stated above.  however i would say part of it is the students too.  i see too many of them sitting instead of standing up and cheering.  leaders of the student section must spread themselves out to force the students to stand.  section 6 of carnesecca have that problem too occasionally.  bring back the "We are St. John's!" chant.

If I go to the game with 3-4 people and other students are 6 rows away from us are we going to stand by ourselves like an island?

If I go to the game with 3-4 people and sit in a section with 30 people standing will I be more inclined to stand with them? Absolutely.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
There just has to be a better way to do it. I know that St. John's is trying to make strides and I applaud them for trying but better results need to occur. This will become a much bigger problem with the team projected to win more.

I have an idea, don't hand out MSG tickets before the season and make a student will-call table at the game for season ticket holders, first people there get the first rows and if you go to the table with friends you can sit together.  It would alleviate the problems of having numbers and sections on the tickets, reselling, people moving their seats and would have all the students who show up compact in one section. 

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
manbearpig went to a college outin the woods. small college of about 2,000. we had more students show up pretty much for every home game. and this is a program no where near the level of the big east.  tickets were free for us. i hope this attracts a lot of crazy broke college kids who dont shut up. manbearpig out

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
Wow free tickets for students and online ticketing in the same year, big steps in the right direction. As a student I love this move because that $5 for student tickets at CA was ridiculous. Students are paying a ton in tuition and they should be able to attend on campus games for free. This will help get students to the games.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
David, who is "she"?

New ticket director who took over for Dennis Myron. Her name escapes me. I want to say Melissa something.

It is Melissa. Use to play softball at SJU. Been there for years.

gonzalo

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:12 AM »
I think that it is a good decision.

I have always said that there is very important to have a very strong fan support.

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
It's about damn time!  FANTASTIC decision - I hope the students take advantage of this great opportunity!
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
Just the push I've been looking for to commence my post-graduate studies!