Garden Security

• 39 replies
Garden Security
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
I saw them beefing up with under 2 min to play but holy moly they leveled some students. Not saying the students are right to storm the court however it's college basketball and these things happen. What is everyone's thoughts on what happened?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Garden Security
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »
it was complete bs. even after the one side broke through, the security on the pepband side was still going crazy.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
For those at the game or even charged the court, can you give us a descriptipn of what went on?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
I watch countless games in which young fans storm the court following a big victory and they are not bothered.  I know that this is not SJU security but the same garden security that works the Knicks, Rangers and Rod Stewart concerts so I'm sure that's the heart of the problem right there.

A paying tenant, SJU,  should be able to have some clout in security matters.  Perhaps, it could somehow be conveyed that we want the end of a victorius SJU/Duke game to be handled differently than the end of a victorius Knicks/Celtic game?  Perhaps what is a perfectly normal college basketball occurance that follows a huge win could be identified as such instead of as a Kent State like uprising.

We must have a garden security guard or a friend or relative of one posting on this board.  I would like to hear a garden security guards side of this.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:53:24 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Nick K

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
Carmine is 100% right the heart of the problem is that it is Garden Security. I agree that when the Knicks and another professional team are on the floor fans should be kept off the floor. But when your university has it biggest win in almost 10 years the students should be allowed to celebrate on the floor with the players who are their CLASSMATES.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »
I was pretty close, and I saw security acting like thugs. Not the fans. One of these days, a 60 year old security guard is going to get seriously hurt. Maybe they would have actually stopped someone if one of those losers was under 60.

The Garden has it's policy, and it's pretty clear that they are interested in keeping a clean court, and getting everyone out of there immediately. Keeping the Garden safe is not there priority or they wouldn't have such a pathetic security system in place outside the Garden.

What's to stop a student from bringing a knife to the next game? The answer? Nothing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:16:18 PM by Poison »

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
When St Johns beat GTown in the NIT championship I had a seat near courtside. As soon as the game ended, I ran out of the garden, not onto the court. People get crazy in crowds

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »

Any chance there'll be a writeup on this in the student newspaper?

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/johnnies_fans_msg_security_used_mkLLKzhgd6obAnUn3cwvbN

LOL they got the sleeveless guy for quotes. I've been vocal for years about my displeasure with the Garden in the way they handle the student section.

I understand they are supposed "stop" people from coming onto the court but it's no excuse to get grabby or forceful. I've juked a few ushers in my day to get onto the court.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/johnnies_fans_msg_security_used_mkLLKzhgd6obAnUn3cwvbN
LOL they got the sleeveless guy for quotes. I've been vocal for years about my displeasure with the Garden in the way they handle the student section.

I understand they are supposed "stop" people from coming onto the court but it's no excuse to get grabby or forceful. I've juked a few ushers in my day to get onto the court.
Glad that Robbins, a real professional, didn't let this issue slip by amidst a historic win.

Hopefully, The Sleeveless Guy will stick to his guns.
There should be consequences if the wannabe bouncers were excessive in their force.

BTW, I spoke with several Duke fans, who said they were very impressed by how classy and enthusiastic the St. John's fans were.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
This was a topic discussed on 1050 today.  The talking heads decided that the garden security was justified in keeping students off the court and that it's the price you pay as a university for wanting to play in a 20k spectator arena?  Said if you wanted to rush the court than you should play in your own on campus arena?  Said the garden has insurance and lawsuit issues to consider if anybody gets hurt?

When a caller said that the garden security were acting as goons pushing, throwing down and striking students in the heads from behind,  the talking heads said they didn't see and weren't aware of that.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure I saw Realfan from BEB get Tasered on the floor by security. Or maybe it was me that tasered him.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I saw Realfan from BEB get Tasered on the floor by security. Or maybe it was me that tasered him.

:)

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »
It's hard to say if the students should be allowed to storm the court. On one side this is a college game and traditionally after a big upset the home fans storm the court. On the other side though this is MSG and the security and other personnel treat this as if it were a professional game and are told to not allow any people on the court. I agree that some of what I have heard and read is excessive like punching or choking someone but I cant really fault the security guard whose job it is to keep people off the court when they grab some kids and push them back. I don't think we are ever going to be allowed to storm MSGs court so it's on MSG and the SJU Athletic Dept. to think of a better solution then this because if excited students are getting manhandled it looks bad for everyone. If i had it my way we would be able to storm the court but I can see why MSG would want to avoid that situation.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:02:12 AM »
It's hard to say if the students should be allowed to storm the court.

No it's not.  "The students should be allowed to storm the court."  In arguments between the will of the people and authority figures, always side with the people and you can't go wrong.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
In the Post article above, Mark Fratto mentioned compliance with Big East and NCAA rules.  What are these????

boo3

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
 Honestly, from that video, i didn't see anything.  Not saying anyone wasn't out of line, i'm just not seeing it there.  I wasn't there so i'll take your words for it.

Hopefully this doesn't start to over shadow the victory because that would be a shame.