Rutgers post game

• 48 replies
Rutgers post game
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
Thank God for Brownlee. MVP

Re: Rutgers post game
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
I'm getting sick of the shot clock offense.   Why are we not isolating Brownlee before the final 5 seconds?  This team has little margin for error and starting the offense with 15 seconds left on the shot clock is not helping.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:29 PM »
I'm getting sick of the shot clock offense.   Why are we not isolating Brownlee before the final 5 seconds?  This team has little margin for error and starting the offense with 15 seconds left on the shot clock is not helping.

We have noone to break down the defense. Lavin got owned by Rice tonight

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »

Not on the last play.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »

Not on the last play.

Oh definitely. Poindexter Dunlap hooked that play up! Rice didnt have much to play with, not next year though. Rutgers is no doormat

redslope

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!

a repeat of the Bonnies and Rams, only a better outcome.  Lavin said this was one of the teams weaknesses that needed to be improved; however, they have not been consistent.  90% Hardy goes 4 for 8.  Thank God Justin Burell goes 6 for 6.

a game in the 50's should have been the expected result and it was.  a win is a win.  not being easy may help the motivation for UCLA.

How about the antics of "fried" Rice.  he was a bit Bobby G.  The act may work with mid major players but top tier players will turn him off.  he should learn from  coach Lavin.  I don't think he "owned" Lavin--23 turnovers to 10 and no defense on Brownlee's drive to win the game with his BAD hand.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:03 PM »

a repeat of the Bonnies and Rams, only a better outcome.  Lavin said this was one of the teams weaknesses that needed to be improved; however, they have not been consistent.  90% Hardy goes 4 for 8.  Thank God Justin Burell goes 6 for 6.

a game in the 50's should have been the expected result and it was.  a win is a win.  not being easy may help the motivation for UCLA.

How about the antics of "fried" Rice.  he was a bit Bobby G.  The act may work with mid major players but top tier players will turn him off.  he should learn from  coach Lavin.  I don't think he "owned" Lavin--23 turnovers to 10 and no defense on Brownlee's drive to win the game with his BAD hand.

Rice seemed to call the right play at the right time the whole game minus the first few minutes. We should have won by 15

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:29 PM »
And BTW WTF happenned to DJ Kennedy, did he transfer out with Quincy Roberts or what?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »
We played a lousy game. Our defense was okay, but Rutgers can't hang onto the ball. It's the only reason we didn't lose by 20 tonight. Sometimes you win when you don't deserve to. Losing this game would have been a back breaker.

We got lucky today. Missed a ton of free throws late. Rice is getting all he can out of those kids. Good for him. They're gonna steal one before the season is over. Still, some of those threes were crazy shots at the end of the game.

Next season RU will probably be a pretty good team.
I don't get why we keep running the Eugene Lawrence wait until the clock is about to expire before you dribble into a double team offense. What gives?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:05:47 AM by Poison »

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »

Free throws will always be an issue for this team.  THe only positive is we do consistently get to the line more often than our opponents.  BUt it will cost us again sooner or later.

I also am not a huge fan of the offense, we get caught at the end of the shot clock with nothing happening on a lot of possessions

Props to the staff and team for starting out the game ready to play. 

DJ looks disinterested, another game where he shoots the ball 3 times.  I guess he really cant play without the ball.

Paris didnt shoot well but brought great energy on the defensive end.  Keep giving him 30 mins plus.

Defensive energy was sustained for the most part in the second half until the three started raining, but sometimes you have to tip your cap to the hot player.

Mike Rice is entertaining to watch with his reactions.  He has the quickest hook for a player who screws up a play.   It doesnt look like anyone gets a second strike with him. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:07:12 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:07:11 AM »

Which is why we need more time to run our offense...better to have 25 seconds to move the ball around to hopefully get an open look then wait until 8 seconds left...glad this one is over...onto UCLA!

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
Another thing I'd like to see this team learn: if a player on the other team hurts your feelings, close your mouth, walk away, and get your head back in the game.

They act like children sometimes. 3 technical fouls in 2 games in pathetic.
They think they're tough, and now every team is going to try and rile them up.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

Free throws will always be an issue for this team.  THe only positive is we do consistently get to the line more often than our opponents.  BUt it will cost us again sooner or later.

I also am not a huge fan of the offense, we get caught at the end of the shot clock with nothing happening on a lot of possessions

Props to the staff and team for starting out the game ready to play. 

DJ looks disinterested, another game where he shoots the ball 3 times.  I guess he really cant play without the ball.

Paris didnt shoot well but brought great energy on the defensive end.  Keep giving him 30 mins plus.

Defensive energy was sustained for the most part in the second half until the three started raining, but sometimes you have to tip your cap to the hot player.

Mike Rice is entertaining to watch with his reactions.  He has the quickest hook for a player who screws up a play.   It doesnt look like anyone gets a second strike with him. 

Paris,Brownlee and Burrell won that game for us. Kennedy has disappeared completely, I wonder if has to do with a chick? Stith balled out

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »

Which is why we need more time to run our offense...better to have 25 seconds to move the ball around to hopefully get an open look then wait until 8 seconds left...glad this one is over...onto UCLA!

I disagee, get shots up quick. We look lost running plays

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
Another thing I'd like to see this team learn: if a player on the other team hurts your feelings, close your mouth, walk away, and get your head back in the game.

They act like children sometimes. 3 technical fouls in 2 games in pathetic.
They think they're tough, and now every team is going to try and rile them up.
If youre going to foul someone, dont let him get the shot off. Make him  earn it, Burrell punched that 1 guy with the afro

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »

I disagee, get shots up quick. We look lost running plays

If a shot is there quick take it...I agree...and Lavin is emphasizing that.  I just don't understand why...when there isn't something there we play 4 corners until 7 seconds left on the shot clock.  Horrible idea if you don't have anyone that can create their own shot.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:26:12 AM »
WE might me the most athletic team in the Big East, and the worst passing team on the fastbreak. DJ in particular

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
Just got home- Lavin was not out coached. Shockingly We missed too many free throws and missed a bunch of layups. Should have won by 10 +. I sat a few rows behind our bench and I think the staff works really well together. Lavin gets input from each coach and all the coaches are coaching up the players.
I think we should play an 8 man rotation and only play Polee, Stith, and Coker in certain situations. Stith played good tonight (played A LONG TIME- TO LONG). Coker wasn't needed (maybe could have played against Cincy and their big lineup though). Polee had a big block- but should not be out there. He plays good perimeter defense but he shouldn't be starting.
Game should have been put away in 1st half

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »
Just got home- Lavin was not out coached. Shockingly We missed too many free throws and missed a bunch of layups. Should have won by 10 +. I sat a few rows behind our bench and I think the staff works really well together. Lavin gets input from each coach and all the coaches are coaching up the players.
I think we should play an 8 man rotation and only play Polee, Stith, and Coker in certain situations. Stith played good tonight (played A LONG TIME- TO LONG). Coker wasn't needed (maybe could have played against Cincy and their big lineup though). Polee had a big block- but should not be out there. He plays good perimeter defense but he shouldn't be starting.
Game should have been put away in 1st half

Game should have been put away in the 1st half? Why wasnt it?

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:34 AM »
Just got back from the game. This one just about gave me an ulcer. At the end of the day, a win is a win and this is one of the 3 or 4 that we HAVE to have, so I'll take it.

It really seemed like we thoroughly outplayed Rutgers for most of this game. Still mystified as to why we were a few inches away from losing this game. That last play by Lumpkin was disturbing, as the basic rule in basketball in situations like that is to switch on ALL screens!!! There must have been a miscommunication that possession or a flat out missed assignment.

I also thought Lavin coached a brilliant game in terms of plays out of timeouts. I also think he did a GREAT job in terms of not letting this be a "trap" game. This team scrapped their butts off today and the effort was most certainly there. The 2 areas I thought he missed on, however, was milking the clock with too much time left in the second half. We got too complacent offensively too early IMO. I also thought he rested a few of our players a bit TOO much. Burrell only ended up playing 21 minutes and I thought he should've played more and I thought DJ could've played more than 28 minutes.

Mitchell was unconscious for Rutgers and that kid Lumpkin gave them a fighting chance down the stretch there. Overall, its a win and I'll take it. The guys played very hard today. On to UCLA....
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap