Rutgers post game

• 48 replies
Re: Rutgers post game
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 01:03:59 AM »
Theo, wtf happenned to DJ?

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:51 AM »
FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!

a repeat of the Bonnies and Rams, only a better outcome.  Lavin said this was one of the teams weaknesses that needed to be improved; however, they have not been consistent.  90% Hardy goes 4 for 8.  Thank God Justin Burell goes 6 for 6.

a game in the 50's should have been the expected result and it was.  a win is a win.  not being easy may help the motivation for UCLA.

How about the antics of "fried" Rice.  he was a bit Bobby G.  The act may work with mid major players but top tier players will turn him off.  he should learn from  coach Lavin.  I don't think he "owned" Lavin--23 turnovers to 10 and no defense on Brownlee's drive to win the game with his BAD hand.

I agree with everything you said except for Rice/Gonzo comparison. In no way shape or form are these two alike in any way. Mike Rice is a great coach and he gets hot but motivates his players and his players love him. Gonzo was just nuts and arrogant.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 01:07:05 AM »
FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS, FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!

a repeat of the Bonnies and Rams, only a better outcome.  Lavin said this was one of the teams weaknesses that needed to be improved; however, they have not been consistent.  90% Hardy goes 4 for 8.  Thank God Justin Burell goes 6 for 6.

a game in the 50's should have been the expected result and it was.  a win is a win.  not being easy may help the motivation for UCLA.

How about the antics of "fried" Rice.  he was a bit Bobby G.  The act may work with mid major players but top tier players will turn him off.  he should learn from  coach Lavin.  I don't think he "owned" Lavin--23 turnovers to 10 and no defense on Brownlee's drive to win the game with his BAD hand.

I agree with everything you said except for Rice/Gonzo comparison. In no way shape or form are these two alike in any way. Mike Rice is a great coach and he gets hot but motivates his players and his players love him. Gonzo was just nuts and arrogant.

Gonzo burnt every bridge possible

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »
DJ has been so disappointing this season. The more Paris I see the more I want him in the game along with Hardy over DJ. Don't get me wrong, love DJ, but he's just not playing well.

He's been absent minded and timid offensively. We don't need him to be the man anymore but we need him to be one of the men.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
DJ hasnt been good but who else do you want in there? Our best lineup by far is JB1/2, DJ, Paris, Hardy. Sprinkle in Boothe, Evans, Polee and you have enough to get where we wanna go.

Wods317

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »
We played nicely on defense but the offense was pretty stagnant tonight. We did a lot of passing back and forth out the perimeter but no driving or getting ball inside to Brownlee or Burrell. Brownlee and Burrell are very good inside and I think getting them the ball more in the paint is a weapon we need to use way more. Kennedy and Hardy have to start driving more, Horne was the only one to take the ball to the rack a few times. We should have won this game by 10 but that guy Lumpkin hit a good 3 then a few lucky 3's. A win is a win in the BE and I am just glad we got it because this game worried me way more than the games against USF or DePaul.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:45 AM »
DJ hasnt been good but who else do you want in there? Our best lineup by far is JB1/2, DJ, Paris, Hardy. Sprinkle in Boothe, Evans, Polee and you have enough to get where we wanna go.

youre right he has to be there, but damn boy, hold onto the rock

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 02:07:51 AM »
That no look save pass by burrell followed by the horne layup was number one ESPN top plays.  It beat out a ton of good plays.  Didn't think it deserved number one but hey it was pretty sick
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:08:20 AM by Kmart28Jets »

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
WE might me the most athletic team in the Big East, and the worst passing team on the fastbreak. DJ in particular

Burrell's no look one handed behind him was pretty sick though, you gotta admit...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »
The game should not have been that close.  Missed free throws and the inability to finish on the and one cost us. 

At one point, during a media timeout, I noticed Rico Hines getting on Burrell, who had just missed the layup when he was fouled.  Burrell often goes up too soft and tries to avoid contact rather than going up strong and finishing when he is hit.

Paris...all hustle, all the time.  I love his energy.

Rutgers was very dirty.  There were a lot of hacks not called by the refs.  They were really trying to goad us into getting technicals---and it worked once.  One guy even pushed his way through our huddle before someone was about to shoot free throws.  The ref said something to him about it.

Great calls on a couple of inbound plays in the first half, when Hardy curled around and got the ball for easy layups.

Second half defense was great.  With about 3 1/2 minutes left, Rutgers had scored 12 points and we only had 2 team fouls.  Unfortunately, our offense was too stagnant to take advantage of it.  They were also very quick on defense, and it seemed to bother our shooters.

Great play called at the end of the game.  Hardy was sent in to the backcourt.  I'm sure Rutgers anticipated the ball going to him.  He took his defender completely out of the play.  The other guys spread out in the front court, creating an opening in the lane.  Brownlee came out beyond the free throw line, got the inbound pass and was one on one with his defender.

xhoops

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
 Anybody aware that Burrell scored 10 consecutive points for the team in a short span in the first half...........but only got one shot in the second half and only played 21 minutes .... huh ??? They clearly  couldn't guard him with out fouling him and he was 6-6 on FTs...........wear that OUT !

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »
He was out of control, and his habits have not changed in 4 years.
He had easy layups that blew by putting it on the floor, throwing it up underhand, or simply not gathering himself.

Should they go to him more? He had one rebound. With his size and strength, he shouldn't picking it off the glass, and putting it back. Brownlee does it. Even Horne does it.

tims19

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
air horn dunk was insane... when hes on the break its always the best dunks our team can throw.... burells foul was great, the ball didnt leave his hands.... and it wasnt a "punch" he's just built like a tank, dj hasnt done much offensivly, some nice d work tho, and we definatly need him out there

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »
Just a good, oldfashioned BE defensive battle.  No easy looks from outside.  If you were  going to the basket inside you'ld better duck your head.  Only unchallenged dunks and layups on breakaways.  Games like this remind me why I don't like the Nba.

- Rutgers defense was very strong.  Ours too. We held them to 12 second half points in the first 17 minutes until they got uncorked from three during desperation time.  Still held them to only 25 second half points.  You'll win a lot of games that way.

- Many of our guns had sub par games - MalikII, Prez, Hilton - but as Hollywood said in the postgame; "we were very fortunate to win".

- Speaking of Hollywood and the postgame; We all know his reputation as a recruiter and not an x's and o's guy but he was sounding like a doctorate holding basketball professor as he was explaining the intracacies of plays, setups, options and various defenses to the media.  They should have given him a white board and a pointer.

- MalikIII provided a much needed spark in his minutes.  The guy next to me kept saying "What's he doing in the game", "he can't shoot", "he stinks" etc., etc. but he kept making plays and we extended the lead out with him in there.  Even the naysayer sitting to my left had to acknowledge his spark.

- My favorite plays were the #1 top ten sportscenter play and Hilton getting fouled while driving and just tossing it up, as your tought to do, without even seeing the basket and having it drop for the oldfashioned 3 point play.

- Our FT shooting seemed worse than it was.  We shot 65%.  Same as Rutgers but Ed Hardy's 4 for 8 made it feel like worse.  How he could go 4 for 8 from the line with that wonderful stroke remains a mystery.

- The JB2 broken thumb was obviously Ok as he finished several times with the left hand including the game winner.   Perhaps he'll supplant D-buckets as the new end of game 1st option? 

- The student sections behind both baskets were great.  We're starting to look like a real college basketball program at home games.   What was the jungle getting into it with the RU bench about during that second half timeout when they came out with the A-hole chant?

- I would like to extend a Hardy "Thank you" to the zebras,  without whose home cooking this much needed victory would not have been possible. 23 fouls on them only 11 on us. 31 foul shots for us only 14 for them.  Several fouls called on RU in the second half looked like they were for breathing on our players.  If I was Rutgers, I'd be furious.

- Felt like there were about 20 second half timeouts and stoppages sucking the excitement out of what turned out to be yet  another  exciting finish and all in all a pretty good basketball game. .

Can't wait for the Ucan't game.  GO ST. JOHNS!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:15:40 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
- The student sections behind both baskets were great.  We're starting to look like a real college basketball program at home games.   What was the jungle getting into it with the RU bench about during that second half timeout when they came out with the A-hole chant?

Rice slammed his clipboard hard on the court.

tims19

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »

no rice slammed his clipboard hard into a player

Poison

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
Stith did make a couple of nice plays, but for every nice play he stands there and bounces the ball for 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:23:38 PM by Poison »

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
Stith did make a couple of nice plays, but every nice play he stands there and bounces the ball for 30 seconds.

Think hes on the roster next year?

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »

no rice slammed his clipboard hard into a player

Wannabee Bobby Knight?

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Stith did make a couple of nice plays, but every nice play he stands there and bounces the ball for 30 seconds.

Think hes on the roster next year?

I hope so.  I got the feeling watching him yesterday that he's a great teammate and a very positive influence on the bench.  I would imagine the same holds for his practice acumen.