A Message to the Students from Coach Lavin

• 13 replies
A Message to the Students from Coach Lavin
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

Poison

Re: A Message to the Students from Coach Lavin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
If that is what Steve Lavin has asked of the students and fans, everyone should listen.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
Yea, I'm sure we will listen but I'm going to be honest....beating Duke is the only game we would rush the court for this season.  This message seems to take the side of MSG in the whole security debate and I really wish that an apology from coach would have been issued about the brutality of the guards.

tims19

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
lavin better not appologies for msg security,... completely not his fault,.... as for not storming the court, makes sense,... never get to storm the field at soccer games with all the public safty there, and we witnessed ncaa tournament wins, and late stage big east tornament wins at home over the past few years

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
lavin better not appologies for msg security,... completely not his fault,.... as for not storming the court, makes sense,... never get to storm the field at soccer games with all the public safty there, and we witnessed ncaa tournament wins, and late stage big east tornament wins at home over the past few years

You can't compare soccer games to basketball games.  Nobody in this country cares about college soccer and it is not tradition to storm a soccer field.  Especially since we were the favorites in those games.  It's unfair to relate the two situations when it comes to running on a field. And if Lavin can defend MSG and make the students look like the bad guys which he does in this letter, then he can sure apologize for the way we were treated there.  Although the letter was probably written by Fratto, it is wrong to sweep what happened under the carpet.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
  Where does he take sides?  So your saying Fratto wrote it and signed Steve's name?   You kids are making a huge ordeal out of this.   Get over it.  You stormed the court, which your not supposed to, and it had a few consequences.  Its over.  Like i said earlier, i wasn't there, but did see the video that Dave posted.   looked fairly innocuous.  Of course all the real bad stuff was on the other side.  Can't believe no one had a cell phone on the other side of MSG. 

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
  Where does he take sides?  So your saying Fratto wrote it and signed Steve's name?   You kids are making a huge ordeal out of this.   Get over it.  You stormed the court, which your not supposed to, and it had a few consequences.  Its over.  Like i said earlier, i wasn't there, but did see the video that Dave posted.   looked fairly innocuous.  Of course all the real bad stuff was on the other side.  Can't believe no one had a cell phone on the other side of MSG. 

I don't mean Fratto wrote it as in actually typing it out, although he may have, I mean it in the sense that it was his idea to write this and told him what to write.  Yea, we stormed the court after beating Duke, which most of the few schools who beat them end up doing.  It was against the rules and now we are getting scolded, I understand and they think if it comes from Lavin kids will listen, which they will.  Enough has been said about the brutality coming from security and numerous people were bloodied and bruised, which should never happen.  I understand they have to warn us of these things, but where was the warning over the PA system before the buzzer in the Duke game?  There was no announcement made at all. 

boo3

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
  correct.  that was the biggest mistake.  There was no warning.  MSG should have had a little more foresight.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:07:50 PM »
And if Lavin can defend MSG and make the students look like the bad guys which he does in this letter, then he can sure apologize for the way we were treated there.

I 100% support the student's perogative to storm the court and I'm 100% against the MSG guards and more so their management for heavy-handed security measures.

But please point out the the portion of this letter that 'defends MSG and makes the students look like the bad guys'?

I just don't see it and feel that there is nothing wrong with this letter.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
  correct.  that was the biggest mistake.  There was no warning.  MSG should have had a little more foresight.

Agreed, a reminder announcement might have gone a long way here. As always, hindsight is 20-20.

Thursday night when we beat UConn, lets all break into a chorus of Kumbaya My Lord...

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »

Agreed, a reminder announcement might have gone a long way here. As always, hindsight is 20-20.

Thursday night when we beat UConn, lets all break into a chorus of Kumbaya My Lord...

Do the fans belong on the court? Hey man, I get excited when the A train shows up, but I wont go running on the tracks when it does
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:08:33 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »

Do the fans belong on the court? Hey man, I get excited when the A train shows up, but I wont go running on the tracks when it does

Maybe you should next time.    ;)

kidding aside. is it right? technically no.  Does it happen all the time, all over?  yes.   An announcement would have been the correct thing to do. Tell everyone " Don't go on the court, if you do, prepare to get beat down".   Sounds good to me.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »
I thought that was Lavin saying that the team's going to beat on U Conn Thursday night...

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 12:19:29 AM »
I thought that was Lavin saying that the team's going to beat on U Conn Thursday night...

touche this is the hidden message I got too
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle