Norm Roberts to Monmouth?

• 21 replies
Norm Roberts to Monmouth?
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »
That job will be open. They have a brand new facility which is much nicer than Carnesecca, beautiful campus, and great location. Do you see Norm being interested in that position and if so will he see success there?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Norm Roberts to Monmouth?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
That would be wild if him and Phil Wait were reunited again.  Monmouth has been a very good NEC team for numerous years and I think it would be a great fit.  However, I don't think Norm would go there.

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
If Norm wants to coach he should go back with Bill Self and be an assistant.  Norm is a class act but he isn't a head coach.  If for some reason someone decides to hire him, he should take a lesson from Lavin and hire great assistant coaches.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
I think it would be a good fit.  He'll have a bunch of seniors.

I think that level might work for him, honestly. He can coach a little (though not enough), and I think he's been decent at identifying guys who can do one or two things, and are athletic. He could use some offensive coaching help, though!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
Maybe in 3  to 5 years, after realization that there is not or little interest by teams in the major conferences
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:25:32 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

Poison

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Why would they hire him?

He did a horrible job here.

If I was Norm, I'd recognize that it's time to get out of the coaching business forever.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
Why would they hire him?

If I was Norm, I'd recognize that it's time to get out of the coaching business forever.

Besides Polee, who has the deer in headlights thing going on, these are Norms guys who got St Johns back on the NCAA map. For the most part he brought in good kids who were in over their heads but played hard and its paying off. In some players, he did find some diamonds in the rough. Give the guy some credit

Poison

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
Like I said before, if you go to the store and buy the groceries, then your wife makes a delicious dinner, you should get some of the credit.

As far as coaching goes, where do you think Dwight Hardy and Justin Brownlee would be if Norm was still here? If anything, this season's success further proves just how bad Roberts really was.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
Why would they hire him?

-NEC isn't the BIG EAST.

-Coming from Big East he's a big name

-1 player last year was suspended for drugs, another 3 this year for academics, they need discipline

-Location wouldn't need to move his family

-Has enough local ties for recruiting area NY/NJ/PA

I think it makes a lot of sense. Also to say he did a horrible job here isn't fair either. He did a good job here but good doesn't cut it in the Big East. I know his name is being tossed around for the job but not sure he'd go after it.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
Dave, I'm sorry, but as a season ticket holder for 25 years, I can say that the product on the floor was horrible because I flat out saw it with my own eyes.

Horrible coach
Horrible recruiter
Horrible result

He coached talented players, and they regressed. He found sleepers and they didn't wake up until he was gone.

He was for lack of a better word, poison.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Dave, I'm sorry, but as a season ticket holder for 25 years, I can say that the product on the floor was horrible because I flat out saw it with my own eyes.

Horrible coach
Horrible recruiter
Horrible result

He coached talented players, and they regressed. He found sleepers and they didn't wake up until he was gone.

He was for lack of a better word, poison.

So for 6 years St. John's players weren't good enough now they were good and Norm regressed them? Come on.

Like I said the landscape of the Big East isn't the same for the rest of the conferences across the country. Its a different beast. Norm in his first division 1 head coaching job brought St. John's from D to B-.

So you don't think Norm would be able to win in the NEC?

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
Dave, what do you mean 6 years? Cedric Jackson ring a bell? Norm was the problem. It was never the player's effort, and now we something to compare him to and it ain't pretty.

You can't say Norm gets a B-.
he went 6-12 with a roster loaded with upperclassman.

Why? Because he didn't know how to make an in game adjustment.
In the NEC, he won't be getting DJs and Burrell's.
I think that any college dumb enough to hire him will get the result they deserve.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
He'd be fine at Monmouth's level.
WRT recruiting, as long as there isn't much scrutiny and his hands aren't tied, he'll be able to get players-as he did at his three prior stops.

I was talking with two writers this weekend about him. For St. John's, it's probably best if he gets back into coaching over the next 1-2 years.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
What prior three stops? He's had one job where he recruited players.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »
He'd be fine at Monmouth's level.
WRT recruiting, as long as there isn't much scrutiny and his hands aren't tied, he'll be able to get players-as he did at his three prior stops.

I was talking with two writers this weekend about him. For St. John's, it's probably best if he gets back into coaching over the next 1-2 years.
For St. John's? I don't understand, what does this mean?

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
His results would be the same as here. He was a terrible coach.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
The reason everyone hates Norm even more now is because how good we are this year. If we were going to be like 8-10 in the BE everyone just would have been like ohhh the players are terrible, fine. But...we're gonna go 12-6 this year with the SAME EXACT players as last year. You cannot tell me that's all based on the normal junior to senior improvement. At this point, it's obvious that Norm just couldnt coach basketball.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
Roberts has "no interest" in the Monmouth job. Likes his gig on TV.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Monmouth lucked out. I was kind of hoping he'd leave. I can't stand looking or listening to him.
After he said that Dwight Hardy "didn't understand the speed of the game" I went from not wishing any ill will on him, to hoping he leaves the college basketball business forever. His rep as a nice guy is bs.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Monmouth lucked out. I was kind of hoping he'd leave. I can't stand looking or listening to him.
After he said that Dwight Hardy "didn't understand the speed of the game" I went from not wishing any ill will on him, to hoping he leaves the college basketball business forever. His rep as a nice guy is bs.

Not true. If you don't like him as a coach then fine but don't slander the guy's name. I actually think he does a great job on TV. Covering St. John's can't be easy for him. Don't be surprised to see him on ESPN soon, very soon.