Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
Calling a well informed and well connected poster's thoughts on a player absurd, that is board leadership right there people.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
Calling a well informed and well connected poster's thoughts on a player absurd, that is board leadership right there people.

Nice Dave  ::)

uwsfan

« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
I really like what i see of this kid Obekpa. Excellent shot blocker & rebounder, just what we need in the post. Hopefully the staff doesnt lose out on him by spending too much time chasing Pelle, who i think they should forget about at this point.

Christopher Obekpa Highlight Reel Class of 2012 Our Savior New American

Moose

« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »
I really like what i see of this kid Obekpa. Excellent shot blocker & rebounder, just what we need in the post. Hopefully the staff doesnt lose out on him by spending too much time chasing Pelle, who i think they should forget about at this point.

Christopher Obekpa Highlight Reel Class of 2012 Our Savior New American

The staff isn't chasing Pelle anymore.  They haven't talked to him in over a month.  He is gone.  Not coming here ever.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
Appears like we would get an official visit. Like our chances if so

boo3

« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
  How tall is this kid?  He looks great.  Like a right handed Pelle.  A bit shorter though , i assume. 

MCNPA

« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
  How tall is this kid?  He looks great.  Like a right handed Pelle.  A bit shorter though , i assume.

Not much shorter.  Pelle is 6'10".  Obekpa 6'8" or 6'9".  Obekpa gets after it more than Pelle.  Pelle had all the ability in the world but doesn't seem to have the drive.

boo3

« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

Not much shorter.  Pelle is 6'10".  Obekpa 6'8" or 6'9".  Obekpa gets after it more than Pelle.  Pelle had all the ability in the world but doesn't seem to have the drive.

Thanks MCNPA!

PIB

« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »
I really like what I am hearing about this Obekpa prospect.

While he may not be a blue chipper, the young man has been getting lots of praise.

He's a top 100 prospect that claims offers from: UCONN, GT, Memphis, Cincy, us, and a few others.

Strengths:
Obekpa has an unbelievable motor that never stops. He is a long and extremely athletic power forward who moves up and down the floor like a deer. When running the floor in transition he can finish the alley-oop with both elbows well above the rim, and Obekpa's hands and quick first jump allow him to rebound the ball in traffic and finish tip dunks on the offensive glass. In the post, Obekpa has work to do, but he was able to score over his left shoulder with a running hook, spin off his defender baseline side and finish on the other side, and step through move. None of his post moves looked comfortable, but with time he could become an efficient scorer in the post. Defensively, Obekpa challenges all shots in the lane and has good timing rotating over from weak side to block shots.

Weaknesses:
Obekpa has raw offensive fundamentals. His footwork, shooting and ball handling need improvements for him to reach his full potential. Obekpa has a decent feel for the game, but with more time playing he will become more comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Obekpa is a high energy, long and athletic power forward. His fundamentals are a little raw at this stage of his career, but when they catch up with the rest of his game watch out. Defensively, he can guard multiple positions all over the court and is terrific on the glass. His best basketball is down the road when his skills improve.

Notes

Travel Team: New York Elite...Native of Nigeria...
Link: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126079/christopher-obekpa

I never knew dude man was a soccer player. He plays "sweeper."

« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
I agree PIB.  If he is a stud on defense I don't really care if all he can do is catch and finish on offense.  I'm hoping we can get him, Gathers, and Sampson in the fold next year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
This is not a typical African prospect...he's so much more fluid and not stiff at all.  He'd be perfect for Lav.

PIB

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
I agree PIB.  If he is a stud on defense I don't really care if all he can do is catch and finish on offense.  I'm hoping we can get him, Gathers, and Sampson in the fold next year.

I will do backflips down the BQE if we landed those three in addition to Wood and Garret.

Lavin needs to make it happen.

derk

« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
This is not a typical African prospect...he's so much more fluid and not stiff at all.  He'd be perfect for Lav.

That's what impressed me from watching the tape. Very fluid around the basket. Very long with a good basketball sense.

« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

That's what impressed me from watching the tape. Very fluid around the basket. Very long with a good basketball sense.
Obekpa reminds me of Obinna Ekezie, another former soccer playing Nigerian.  A little raw on offense, but his fluid movement suggests he could rapidly improve.  Defensive skills look really solid - I like his footwork.

I hope Obekpa's as good with the books as Ekezie - Obinna was a Mechanical Engineering major.

« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
I would much rather have Sidiki Johnson than Obekpa. I would not use all the ships for 2012 but rather go with a 3 man class in 2013. 

That's an absurd statement. I'd take Obekpa in a heartbeat over Sidicki

Based on the video included in one of the early posts, this kid has unbelievable timing...realize the kids he was playing against may not hae had the biggest hops, but he looked damn good...

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »
Really hope we land this kid.  Based on what I've seen, he'd be a tremendous asset for us down low and really free up our scorers to go to work.  And I think it's very important we keep chasing kids in our own backyard.  Keeping locals here in NY is essential to bringing back this program.

« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
Really hope we land this kid.  Based on what I've seen, he'd be a tremendous asset for us down low and really free up our scorers to go to work.  And I think it's very important we keep chasing kids in our own backyard.  Keeping locals here in NY is essential to bringing back this program.

If Gathers slips away, losing Obepka would be a killer.

« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »

If Gathers slips away, losing Obepka would be a killer.

What would you call it if Lavin gets Sampson, Gathers, Obepka, Wood and a point guard transfer that was a McDonald AA?  They would again be the best team in the NYC metro area....as they are this year. But they may be the best team in the Big East.  Only Syracuse would be a close second in the BE.

« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
I would call that a miracle. Unfortunately, I think it would also be a miracle if we get 2 of those beach bum mentioned