Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

LJSA

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Is it the Felix Balomou kid from OSNA?

As far as I can tell, he's most package worthy, so hopefully it is him. Not sure staff would want anyone else from that team.

« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
shelton and greg jones were a package deal and it was worthwhile.

Poison

« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
Can you elaborate on package deal?

Jesus. He knows nothing. Hello!

MCNPA

« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Is it the Felix Balomou kid from OSNA?

As far as I can tell, he's most package worthy, so hopefully it is him. Not sure staff would want anyone else from that team.

Even Balamou is really marginal for this level.  He's a good athlete and runs well, but is really raw and not really doing himself a service if he is interested in packaging himself with Obekpa.  I don't know if that is the case, but just responding to the idea it might be Balamou.  Really would love Obekpa here.  Hopefully we get that done without a package deal.  Obekpa would be a great fit for SJU and SJU would be a fantastic fit for him.  Our African connection up front would have some real athleticism and skill.  Obekpa's shotblocking is only matched by Nerlens Noel.

« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

it's a syracuse expression.  the assistant coaches there have to check out your package before they offer.

« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

it's a syracuse expression.  the assistant coaches there have to check out your package before they offer.
I needed a good laugh.

« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
Staying on topic, he was at the game last night.

kjd01067

« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
I think Obekpa could be a nice addition for us. It would be nice to have a shot blocker looming at the back of the zone like the kid from lousiville. Even if he is raw offensively he could help out the zone by allowing others to overplay like lousiville does

Moose

« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »

Awesome that he got to see that display.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »

It's the perfect setting actually.  What he saw was a team that needed him badly.  Contrast that with Dieng on the court for Louisville and how can he not say "I can do that for SJU".  No better recruiting pitch than showing him how badly we need an inside presence like him in the paint next season. 

Moose

« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »

It's the perfect setting actually.  What he saw was a team that needed him badly.  Contrast that with Dieng on the court for Louisville and how can he not say "I can do that for SJU".  No better recruiting pitch than showing him how badly we need an inside presence like him in the paint next season. 

Is the sun always out where you live? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »

Is the sun always out where you live? :)

I was halfway joking, but didn't put a winky face there.  If I'm a player, I personally would want to go where I can play.  How could a player like him not be excited at an opportunity at immediate PT in a game where there was a glaring need for his services?  That's all that I'm saying.  I feel the same way about Gathers.  If he likes SJU already, he only needs to take a quick look and see that the PF spot is waiting for him to step right in to.  No-brainers IMHO.  Oh, and Moose, it will only be sunny if we land these guys. 

« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
How could a player like him not be excited at an opportunity at immediate PT in a game where there was a glaring need for his services?

This here is wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #213 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »

How often have we landed a good recruit because we showed them that we needed them? See Samardo Samuels. See Lance Stephenson. See Edgar Sosa. See Corey Fisher. See Kemba Walker. See anyone over the last 10 years, except last year. Kids want to jump on bandwagon. Not be a savior. Balls like that are rare.

« Reply #214 on: January 04, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »
the student section was chanting "we want..."?  i couldn't catch the name.  does anyone know?

MCNPA

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »

How often have we landed a good recruit because we showed them that we needed them? See Samardo Samuels. See Lance Stephenson. See Edgar Sosa. See Corey Fisher. See Kemba Walker. See anyone over the last 10 years, except last year. Kids want to jump on bandwagon. Not be a savior. Balls like that are rare.

Please don't reference recruits from the Norm Roberts era as an example.  People wanted to stay away from here.  Lavin has a good track record, exciting style, history of putting players in the NBA and a different presence entirely.  Regardless of yesterday's score, and kid can see the exciting style we play and how good we will be with more bodies and experience.  Nobody has to come in and be a savior.  We already have 2 freshmen scoring 15+ ppg.  If I'm a guy like Obekpa, Gathers, Sampson, I'd be thrilled to see a roster with only lone senior God's Gift to compete with, no logjam and a cast of other talented young players.  IMO a guy like Gathers would be nuts not to want to step in here and be a double-double guy next to Harkless and Obekpa/Gift from day 1. 

Forget seeing kids like the ones you mention.  See Mo Harkless, D'Angelo Harrison, Sir'Dom etc.   Those guys don't need a bandwagon.  A few more of those types and others will jump on the bandwagon.  If Lavin adds 5 top notch recruits this season, the bandwagon will begin next year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:00:12 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
MCN, I was responding to last night's performance creating recruiting opportunities for us. It won't. Lavin gets healthy, and gets back out there, we'll probably start to get recruits again. That's what we need more than anything. Scoring 58 points at home against an overrated Louisville team doesn't show opportunity to anyone.

« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
the student section was chanting "we want..."?  i couldn't catch the name.  does anyone know?

We were chanting "We Want Higgins"  in reference to the awful reffing.  We were not aware of any recruits at the game.

« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Unlike Gathers and Pelle, the NYC connection of Obekpa is important, and not only in the way we see it with Harkless.  He is Nigerian.  He came from Nigeria in Sept 2010.  Probably could have gone to high school anywhere but wanted to be in NYC.  NYC offers an opportunity to be a part (and remain a part) of the African community.  Just like God's Gift, who incidentally comes from the same region of Nigeria as Obekpa.  And just like the top 30 recruit landed by the SJU women's team, Sandra Udobi-Ofogu, who comes from this same region of Nigeria.  Lots of social upside to Obekpa staying right where he is, since NYC has the largest Nigerian community in North America (Atlanta, DC, and Houston -- think Hakeem O -- have the other sizeable Nigerian immigrant populations).  SJU has a huge number of Nigerians in the student body who also have a reputation for being among the top students at the university and are well organized.

Let's hope that Obekpa follows his country-man, GG, to SJU -- as well as fellow NYC prep star Harkless!

« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »
If he wanted to be in NYC what's he doing in Centereach?   (I can say that, I'm from out that way)   ; )