Stith

• 60 replies

gonzalo

Stith
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:20:38 AM »
It looks like he won´t transfer.

See the difference:

Nov 17, 2010: "This class, which will become one of the largest signed in collegiate basketball, comprises the foundation of the St. John's program moving forward," said Lavin. "The arrival of the 2011-12 class, along with an elite returning talent in Dwayne Polee II, is the core group that will carry the Johnnies into the future."

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111010aad.html

April 20, 2011: "The 2011-12 recruiting class will comprise the foundation of the St. John's program moving forward," said Lavin. "The arrival of this group, along with a returning starter in Dwayne Polee II and junior guard Malik Stith, will carry the Johnnies into the future."

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042011aab.html

kjd01067

Re: Stith
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
I have never been sold on Stith.  I don't think he is talented enough to play at this level.  I think it would have been wise for him to transfer but I am hopeful that he is going to work hard and be a role model for the younger guys.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
Stith doesn't want to. He could have left when Omari did but he weathered the storm.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Stith doesn't want to. He could have left when Omari did but he weathered the storm.

I think the storm he has to weather is this coming year.  As an athlete it is easier on the ego to see Seniors play in front of you, than watch younger guys take your PT.  The real test is going to be when 10 freshman with a lot more talent walk on campus.  I am interested to see what his reaction will be.  I am hoping he can accept his role like boothe did this year.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
I have never been sold on Stith.  I don't think he is talented enough to play at this level.  I think it would have been wise for him to transfer but I am hopeful that he is going to work hard and be a role model for the younger guys.

Phil Greene's commitment spells less and less time for Malik as the season progresses.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »

That was last year though.  Who knows what the end of this semester shows.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »

Phil Greene's commitment spells less and less time for Malik as the season progresses.

Or Malik Stith's development means less time for Phil Greene early on. Two ways of looking at it. I tend to agree with yours more though (at least I'm hopeful that's the case)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
Let's not put dirt on Stith's grave yet.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
Let's not put dirt on Stith's grave yet.

It's funny every time I do he rises up. Arizona State game.... Then he gets a monster and1 in the Big East tourney when he got in....

I like Stith in small doses. He bounces the ball and takes poor shots a little too much for me for him to get extended minutes.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
  I'm not as down on Stith as many here are.  In doses, i think he's valuable.  Will never be a 35 minute a night guy, but we don't need him to be. I think he showed improvement from his freshman to soph year and i'd expect him to make similar strides.  If he tightens up his ball handling a bit i like what he brings.  Everyone raves about the staff and they are miracle workers, doesn't that apply to Stith as well?

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
Although he may not as much talent as the guys coming in, he will get time just because he is the only point guard on the team that knows the plays and system that Lavin has implemented so far. Everyone else has to start from scratch.

Also, lets see how a full off season of being able to work with Hines turns out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:02:55 AM by Johnny4Life »

Moose

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Although he may not as much talent as the guys coming in, he will get time just because he is the only point guard on the team that knows the plays and system that Lavin has implemented so far. Everyone else has to start from scratch.

Also, lets see how a full off season of being able to work with Hines turns out.

But these players coming in were brought in because they fit the system.  Stith was hammering a square peg into a circle no matter how you slice it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
In the past we were victimized by quick penetrating guards and that was with Boothe on the floor a lot.  If Stith develops enough defensively to handle quick 6 foot zone breakers he'll play.  Any points he delivers are gravy and he's not that bad on offense. Stith's defense is his key IMO though because the bigger guys can handle the offense capably.   

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
Stith is fast enough to play Lavin's zone  and pressing defense. I won't be surprised to see more playing time for Malik.  Like his hustle and Big East experience. ::)

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
Sure coaching can improve a player but IMHO his talent level is below where it needs to be and opening up a much needed schollie would be more valuable that what he can provide to this team. That being said he can help-in small doses-next years team-but by not transferring this year it most assuredly means he will be back the following year when that schollie becomes even more valuable due to our lack thereof.

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »
Stith is fast enough to play Lavin's zone  and pressing defense. I won't be surprised to see more playing time for Malik.  Like his hustle and Big East experience. ::)
I don't know that he matches up all that well in the zone but he seems to hold his own in man.  Either way if a big gun comes along I don't think Lavin would blink an eye.  Ask Meikle about that.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »

He's going to make you eat your words, book that.  I'll repost this when Stith leads us into the Sweet 16 his senior year--maybe not as a starter, but as a contributor and winner.

Players like Stith have so much value that can't be quantified. 

kjd01067

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »

He's going to make you eat your words, book that.  I'll repost this when Stith leads us into the Sweet 16 his senior year--maybe not as a starter, but as a contributor and winner.

Marillac I hope I am wrong but I just don't see the talent when it comes to Stith.  He is 5'8, he makes horrible decisions with the ball, and he is a below average shooter.  Like I said I hope he can fill a similar role as boothe did this year (which in my opinion was a huge factor in this years success).

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »

Marillac I hope I am wrong but I just don't see the talent when it comes to Stith.  He is 5'8, he makes horrible decisions with the ball, and he is a below average shooter.  Like I said I hope he can fill a similar role as boothe did this year (which in my opinion was a huge factor in this years success).

I see where you and everyone else are coming from.  I think he'll be a good shooter from both deep and midrange.  What worries me is his handle...he's really got to tigthen it up.  But he's more that fast enough to play in Lav's system.  It's more of his handle in the half-court that I don't like. 

There's just something about this kid that makes me want to put off burying him.  He reminds me of the second PG that Providence had next to Shamgod  when they made the Elite 8 and lost in OT to the eventual national champs.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
It's more of his handle in the half-court that I don't like.

Yeah....  It's also his outside shot and his tentativeness.