Hardy, Brownlee, Kennedy Honored but snubbed of Haggerty Award

• 18 replies
Really thought Hardy was going to get it.

http://johnnyjungle.com/columns/over-the-airwaves/st-john’s-hardy-kennedy-brownlee-honored-by-mbwa-but-jenkins-wins-3rd-haggerty-award/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

Re: Hardy, Brownlee, Kennedy Honored but snubbed of Haggerty Award
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »
Hardy got robbed, he brought college basketball back to NYC.  No offense to Jenkins he is a great player but what Hardy did this year was special.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:15:22 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
Ferry over Lavin too for COY. Hard to argue against 27 wins but what Lavin did with this team was nothing short of amazing.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
Ferry over Lavin too for COY. Hard to argue against 27 wins but what Lavin did with this team was nothing short of amazing.

Taking a team that was 6-12 in the Big East to a team that was 12-6 in the Big East is better than anything Ferry will ever do in his career with all do respect.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
St. John's was clearly robbed. First it was Lavin for BE coach of the year, then it's Hardy for the Haggerty award.

Who votes on the Haggerty award writers or coaches?

DFF6

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
St. John's was clearly robbed. First it was Lavin for BE coach of the year, then it's Hardy for the Haggerty award.

Who votes on the Haggerty award writers or coaches?

The Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association votes on the award. 

Jenkins is a special player and arguably had a better college career than Hardy, but Hardy obviously had a landmark year for SJU and NYC basketball.  Based on this year's performance alone, I think he should have gotten the award.

Gumby

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »
I would have liked to see our own Dwight Hardy gain this prestigious award, but I can see writers voting for Jenkins as well.

Dwight had a great, but a bit inconsistent year.  Before Coach Lavin found the right role for him, he was just so-so in the beginning of the season.  I also think he sort of died a bit at the end after his fabulous run.

Jenkins was, I believe the sixth highest scorer in the NCAA, so he deserves some credit for that.

I can see us dominating this category in the future.

You know Coach Lavin had it pegged right from the start on COY honors.  He said that he had to pay his dues first before being considered for BE COY honors.  I guess the same can be said for MET NY COY honors.  There is no question in my mind that Coach Lavin will earn both COY awards within a few years.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
Jenkins had a great year but this award should have gone to Hardy hands down. 

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
Machado and Glover on 1st team. Oh and they owned Jenkins

Moose

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »

Who deserved award in your opinion?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
Lavin for sure!  What top 25 teams did the LIU coach beat this year? Did he smack the eventual NCAA champions around on national TV?

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »

Who deserved award in your opinion?

Its an individual award right? meaning stats? Jenkins I guess.

It would have been nice if Jenkins and Hardy(as PG's-and I use that word loosely) made the players around them better.  I could probably go 8-22 from the field too with 21 points

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Lavin got absolutely robbed.  He was in discussion for national COY but he doesn't even win local COY?? What a joke.

Also to note that Tim Higgins (of the Rutgers game debacle fame) got the "Distinguished Service" award from the same group of people that voted for Coach of the Year and Player of the Year.  I guess that not doing your job until the final buzzer of a postseason game earns you a pity award.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
It's hard to tell how good Jenkins really was. I'm not saying he didn't earn it but if you know you're getting 25 shots per game every game it's pretty much a given you're gonna score.

Hardy did more than just score in bulk, he matched up with game's best.
Jenkins took to it Georgia State on more than one occasion, but who was watching?

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
jenkins is an excellent player...but he was guarded by guys who'll be selling insurance next year.  i'd like to see how he'd fare in the big east.

lavin was COY hands down.  he resurrected a dead program in only one year.

redslope

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
It is hard to get love when you are the big dog among all the cute little puppies.  i thought the award also had something to do with the courage that Haggerty displayed in WW II not just his basketball skills.  Coach Lavin kept his cancer to himself so as not to have it be a burden/distraction to his players.  Also didn't Coach win a COY award for this district/region?

Foad

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
It's hard to tell how good Jenkins really was. I'm not saying he didn't earn it but if you know you're getting 25 shots per game every game it's pretty much a given you're gonna score.

Jenkins took 49 more shots than Hardy over the course of the year. That's less than 2 shots a game on average. He shot 51 percent from the floor to Hardy's 44 percent; 42 from three to Hardy's 35; 82 from the FT line versus Hardy's 84. More points per game (22/18), assists (5/2), rebounds (3/2), TOs even (2). Jenkins had a better year and its not even particularly close.

sju89tr

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »

Jenkins took 49 more shots than Hardy over the course of the year. That's less than 2 shots a game on average. He shot 51 percent from the floor to Hardy's 44 percent; 42 from three to Hardy's 35; 82 from the FT line versus Hardy's 84. More points per game (22/18), assists (5/2), rebounds (3/2), TOs even (2). Jenkins had a better year and its not even particularly close.

Not taking anything away from Jenkins but I would like to see what Hardy could have done playing in that conference

Foad

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »
Not taking anything away from Jenkins but I would like to see what Hardy could have done playing in that conference

And I'd like to have seen what SJ could have been with a real point guard instead of a converted 2 with a negative assist to TO ratio. And I'd also like to have seen what Jenkins might have done surrounded by other scoring options and other players who were almost as talented as he is, in a situation where the other team didn't design their entire game plan around stopping him. But you can't have everything. As for Hardy, at Hofstra he likely would have been the same one dimensional player he was in the BE. And anyway, they don't as far as I know give out awards for what players might have done had they not done what they did and instead did something else.