Polee

• 21 replies

kjd01067

Polee
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
What do you guys expect from him this upcoming year?  A lot has been said about the incoming freshman and there has been a lot of recent discussion about Stith but a lack of conversation on Dwayne.  I think he had a decent freshman year but I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw.  He certainly has the tools. I think it all comes down to how long he spends in the weightroom and working on his jumper.  I was really expecting to see more highlight reel dunks this year but he seemed to favor the dribble drive and elevate over his defender for the baby jumper.  I think he could become a great player for us but only time will tell.  What do you guys think...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Polee
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
A lot of tools. Needs a lot of work. Working on his profile for the Rumble site right now and... he's athletic, but needs to shore up the deep jumper. Likely a better fit at small forward, but it'd be great if he could play a reasonable shooting guard (i.e., dribble a bit, shoot a bit, hang with opposing ballhandlers).

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
That first game we played against St. Mary's he was an absolute stud and I was convinced he may have been our best player.  After seeing him play the whole year I think he will probably play around 20 minutes a game and average around 7 points per game.  His biggest contributions need to come on the defensive end by utilizing his length and athleticism.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
We're loaded with 3s and that's probably Polee's best position too.  He has the hops to play some 4 and that wil get him some minutes.  To me Harkless is the guy to beat at the three.  Pointer can probably play some 2 but I don't know about Garrett.  Practices will be interesting and minutes will be at a premium.

crgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
We're loaded with 3s and that's probably Polee's best position too.  He has the hops to play some 4 and that wil get him some minutes.  To me Harkless is the guy to beat at the three.  Pointer can probably play some 2 but I don't know about Garrett.  Practices will be interesting and minutes will be at a premium.

He's got 27 starts (including the NCAA tournament) on a roster whose other 13 players will have combined for ONE.  He WILL be a starter next year as well.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
My projected rotation for next season. Now I must warn you that I have only really seen Polee and Stith play, so this is pretty much just based on  what I have read. So basically these projections are worthless but since I still have an hour left before I can leave this godforesaken(not to be confused with our newest recruit) place I call work I will trudge ahead with them anyway.
Starters:
C Gods Gift
PF Polee
SF Harkless
SG Harrison
PG Lindsey

Bench
C Pelle
PF Sampson
SF Garret
SG Pointer
PG Green / Stith

I figure Lavin will try to play 10 at least to start the season. Green and Stith will battle it out for backup PG spot.
Lindsey will lead the team in scoring and assists. Polee in rebounds. We win 18 and have a nice NIT run.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:11:13 PM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
Polee looked like  a stud his first and last games...because he just played.  He was a distant second (fifth?) fiddle to the seniors.  He was overthinking everything most of the season, but the two games he just played (1) St. Mary's when he just expected to star like high school and (2) Gonzaga when the rest of the team looked like deer in headlights and he had to rise up....he looked great in both. 

He looked like a budding superstar at the end of the Gonzaga game.  That four year starter and pre-season Naismith nominee could not stay in front of Polee.

I expect 9-10 pts and 6 boards from him this year.  He'll be a part of a nasty long group of long athletes. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:15:26 PM by Marillac »

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
I hope our new guys play better then Polee did this year. If not it is going to be a long season. He may have started but not because he was one of the best 5 we had. He gained valuable experience this year and I think he will improve but I wouldn't have played him down the stretch. He is very athletic but doesnt seem to have the skills to play the wing. I see him as an energy guy coming off the bench. Hope I am wrong.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
I hope our new guys play better then Polee did this year. If not it is going to be a long season. He may have started but not because he was one of the best 5 we had. He gained valuable experience this year and I think he will improve but I wouldn't have played him down the stretch. He is very athletic but doesnt seem to have the skills to play the wing. I see him as an energy guy coming off the bench. Hope I am wrong.
I agree regarding his skills.  Harkless seems to have the edge at this point and Sampson seems more physical.  Still, he had his moments last season so we'll see.  If Evans and Burrell had played more together though I think we might have won another game or two.  Lavin had to play him to help attract recruits IMO.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
Is Polee hurt?

kjd01067

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
Is Polee hurt?

There were reports by posters on one of the boards that he was walking around school with a limp after the ncaa game but nothing was ever corroborated and the university never released anything.  Hopefully that means he is fine and if it was true than it wasn't too serious.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »
I saw him walking in marillac on tuesday and he looked perfectly fine.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »

He's got 27 starts (including the NCAA tournament) on a roster whose other 13 players will have combined for ONE.  He WILL be a starter next year as well.
I happen to think you're right CR but I think the question of his position remains unanswered.  He won the majority of the tipoffs this season and gained a lot of experience.  It will be up to the freshmen to supplant him and I doubt that it will happen too quickly.  If it does though it will be a very good sign.  Defense will be the key overall and practices will be like war drills.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
People are sleeping on Amir Garrett. He is a stud. Go to You Tube and check him out. He is going to get minutes next year. Most important, he is a great kid. If you remember when he committed last year he said he wants to come in and play and compete with other good players.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
People are sleeping on Amir Garrett. He is a stud. Go to You Tube and check him out. He is going to get minutes next year. Most important, he is a great kid. If you remember when he committed last year he said he wants to come in and play and compete with other good players.
Garrett and Pointer are "lock down" defenders and will be very valuable. Lavin had some very high praise when announcing Amir's signing. Offense will come with some experience.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
Garrett and Pointer are "lock down" defenders and will be very valuable. Lavin had some very high praise when announcing Amir's signing. Offense will come with some experience.
Agree 100% with you on Amir.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »

Well I think Garrett is hungry to compete yet understanding to fit a role. He's a complimentary player on Findlay and does a great job of doing that. Everyone will play some time here and there.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
From what I've seen even God's Gift is pretty darm mobile and able to hit mid range jumpers.  We're going to come at teams in waves and let our depth do them in. In close games specialized talents will dictate our deployments.  Should be fun.

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »

Well I think Garrett is hungry to compete yet understanding to fit a role. He's a complimentary player on Findlay and does a great job of doing that. Everyone will play some time here and there.

But Amir is very capable of being "the guy" as well.   As a junior at Leuzinger High (same school as Russell Westbrook), he led the school to an unexpected CIF State Championship, and was named CIF Player of the Year...In a recruiting story after the title, but before he'd decided to switch to Findlay Prep, he was descripbed as a cross between Shawn Marion and Demar Derozan.   http://www.calihighsports.com/articles/60

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

But Amir is very capable of being "the guy" as well.   As a junior at Leuzinger High (same school as Russell Westbrook), he led the school to an unexpected CIF State Championship, and was named CIF Player of the Year...In a recruiting story after the title, but before he'd decided to switch to Findlay Prep, he was descripbed as a cross between Shawn Marion and Demar Derozan.   http://www.calihighsports.com/articles/60

Absolutely love Garrett been singing his praises since day one.