Big East shakeup

• 88 replies
Big East shakeup
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:32:52 AM by fordham96 »

Logen

Re: Big East shakeup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »
Gee, what a way to treat our student athletes. Desmond Howard has it right on....................

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
Bottom line, I'm sick of this speculation. This has to be settled once and for all. My preference has been to stay in the Big East. My loyalty to the rest of the bball only schools is waning. G'town, Nova and us are a level above the rest. If those 3 could stay united and stay in the current BE I would like that over a complete bball only league.

We are showing signs of competing on a high level in the current BE, I'd hate to lose that now.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Still shakin my head that lousy football is gonna disrupt great bball.

A shame in the most extreme.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
This might sound crazy, but they could create a conference made up of only teams that are actually in the East, and call it the Big East.

Logen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Still shakin my head that lousy football is gonna disrupt great bball.

A shame in the most extreme.

Unfortunately, the people that run the NCAA, including the BE, don't care about lousy football or great bball, they only care about green money.

ras

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
I could never understand the BE taking Marquete and Depaul in the first place. Football has always been the weakness. If they didnt take those schools, it would have allowed the addition of a couple of football schools without jeapodizing the existing BB schools. But, as they say, that is water under the bridge.

ras

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
Seton Hall is vulnerable. They are not the cream of the crop. They compete with Rutgers in NJ,but RU has football. Unfortunately, SJU has some vulnerability because of no football. SJU .however, is on the rise and has the best media market in the world. The BE would not miss a beat if they asked SH to join the Atlantic 10. But I feel allegience should be given to the original members.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
Thank God for Steve Lavin, if Norm was allowed to coach us in year 7 and we were at best an NIT bubble team, we would be in the conversation with the Hall, PC and DePaul.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
But I feel allegience should be given to the original members.

No doubt.
Loyalty is loyalty.
You stay wit yo boys.
But I'm sure some of those wit less nostalgia than me is gonna have a diffnt opinion. Way it goes.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
I've never watched a Big East football game.  How is it?

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

atlantic 10 quality.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »
i put this on BEB...

you have to understand the new york post to know the article is bogus speculation.

if the writer had said to one of the athletic directors...i bet you'd love to have miami, boston college and virginia tech back...and the a-d jokingly said "believe me, the thought has crossed my mind"...the headline would be "big east looking at return of the three acc teams."

the body of the article would be exactly the same.

it's more likely the league would add another team(s)...and split into two or more workable divisions with a playoff at the end.

the league with the best basketball in the country isn't going to damage that product in favor of atlantic 10 quality football.

SJU85

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
BE Football has seen better days with the loss of Miami, Va. Tech and BC.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

atlantic 10 quality.

I'm with Choz.  How's that worth ruining the greatest conference in College basketball?

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 05:32:40 PM »
BE basketball is a heritage of excellence that was developed and nurtured, that became the standard long before expansion.

BE football is a straight up national joke. Always been. Always be. Bunch of programs that think they ready to turn the corner but neva do. So then they poach other schools like Miami and Va Tech and now TCU to get some repct.

They think they knockin on the door. But lemme tell y'all: Jim Brown aint walkin thru that door.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Syracuse football lost to Akron at home a couple of years ago. They had a coach worse than Norm Roberts. That's right. I said it.

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »
I hate to say it, but survival of the fittest.  Call me criminal but I'd rather see the league get rid of one or two of the non-football schools and replace them with football schools than see the whole thing break up.  I'm not attatched to a school like DePaul or Marquette.  As sad as it is, I think Seton Hall ranked one of the worst performing D1 sports schools in a BCS conference by one rating.  I'm selfish and would rather see us maintain a powerhouse bball conference, even if it means we lose one or two.  It won't be SJU.  I know it might be unpopular, but if we need to compete in a lesser conference, this conversation is over anyway. 

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
Big East football is a joke and it will never work.  There are going to be super divisions sooner rather than later and a few of the lucky Big East schools will be poached.  The basketball in those divisions will suck. 

With the growing concern of the health of athletes, it is going to cost much more to keep a program going.  Big East football will not survive another poaching. 

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »
I hate to say it, but survival of the fittest.  Call me criminal but I'd rather see the league get rid of one or two of the non-football schools and replace them with football schools than see the whole thing break up.  I'm not attatched to a school like DePaul or Marquette.  As sad as it is, I think Seton Hall ranked one of the worst performing D1 sports schools in a BCS conference by one rating.  I'm selfish and would rather see us maintain a powerhouse bball conference, even if it means we lose one or two.  It won't be SJU.  I know it might be unpopular, but if we need to compete in a lesser conference, this conversation is over anyway. 

Thing is this: UConn sucked it fo the first decade of the BE. What if they was kicked out fo underperformin?

The League stuck wit its own. And UConn turn into the most successful program in BE histry.

Now I aint sayin the Hall or Providence is gonna have that glory road. But they could. And I aint one thats gonna throw away a relationship that been built up fo 30 years.