Big East shakeup

• 88 replies

Moose

Re: Big East shakeup
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »
There are a lot of teams , Maybe ND should be told to join with football or hit the road.

ND brings value as a bball member.

When a split goes down, I want them in wit the other Catholic schools.

I agree.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
i was in nebraska a couple of summers ago and all everyone talked about was husker football.  i was in cincinnati last september and not one person talked about cincinnati football.

that's the state of big east football today.  adding army, navy, temple or air force won't change this.

the acc took our best football teams and they still suck.

Sorry for a grammar correction, but that should be  "the ACC took our best fotball teams and IT still sucks"  - Yours is implying Virginia Tech football "still sucks"!   :)

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
There are a lot of teams , Maybe ND should be told to join with football or hit the road.

ND brings value as a bball member.

When a split goes down, I want them in wit the other Catholic schools.

No doubt.  If it went down, I'd love to see the Big East go two divisions:

East 
St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Providence
Seton Hall
Xavier

West

Gonzaga
St. Louis
Depaul
Marquette
Dayton
Notre Dame/Creighton

I really think, though, that basketbal could be a powerhouse for the Big East and they really need to market the conference as such.  Big East football will NEVER be anywhere near as good as Big 10, Big 12, SEC, or Pac-10.  We have a monster rep for basketball...use it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:26:01 PM by Marillac »

ras

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
I would hate to see a split from the football schools. No more SU,UConn rivalries. But, if its going to happen you want SJU playing alongside ND like Choz said.

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »
I really don't see the football schools going anywhere.  There's just nowhere to go to make them much more marketable.  The money in this league is tied to the fact that we have a soon to be 17 school bball league, where more than 60% of the teams are uber competitive.  Big East football makes less money than the basketball side of things.  There's simply nowhere for the league to go, unless some other conferences want to cherry pick a school or two.  Even still, most of the big football leagues are pretty much formed. 

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
I really don't see the football schools going anywhere.  There's just nowhere to go to make them much more marketable.  The money in this league is tied to the fact that we have a soon to be 17 school bball league, where more than 60% of the teams are uber competitive.  Big East football makes less money than the basketball side of things.  There's simply nowhere for the league to go, unless some other conferences want to cherry pick a school or two.  Even still, most of the big football leagues are pretty much formed. 

Pitt and Rutgers are as good as gone.  Possibly Syracuse as well.  The big 10 will poach to get to 16.

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
If Pitt goes so does WVA IMO

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 01:37:14 PM »
I maybe don't understand the economics, but why would big ten want to add rutgers or Pitt. Nebraska made 12 and they got their title game. Two more teams take two more slices out of any profits.

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

Pitt and Rutgers are as good as gone.  Possibly Syracuse as well.  The big 10 will poach to get to 16.

I disagree! Rutgers and Syracuse will NEVER be Big Ten quality football schools! Pitt is viable but Penn State does not want them. Pitt goes to Big 10 the BE poaches State! In addition, both Rutgers and Syracuse will see their BB star power dimished, especially post Boeheim! The ACC poached its 3 best football schools and the BE just became stronger! I ask you: after Pitt, WV and now TCU, where is the Big East football star-power???? Let's get a grip here!

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »

I disagree! Rutgers and Syracuse will NEVER be Big Ten quality football schools! Pitt is viable but Penn State does not want them. Pitt goes to Big 10 the BE poaches State! In addition, both Rutgers and Syracuse will see their BB star power dimished, especially post Boeheim! The ACC poached its 3 best football schools and the BE just became stronger! I ask you: after Pitt, WV and now TCU, where is the Big East football star-power???? Let's get a grip here!

Pitt and WVU may got the legacy and infrastructure to do better, but they's hardly a star.

Just a bunch of mediocre programs that one year my have one decent team nationally. Otherwise its just tuuurrible.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »

It's not about star power.  Half of the Big Ten sucks almost every year:  Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, and even Purdue to a degree.  It's an arms race and it's about survival to them.  Rutgers is a decent school academically and it has the New York market.  They are confident that joining the conference will lift the level of play of Rutgers.  Pitt is a very solid program.  Penn State would NEVER go to the Big East...it's a dying conference. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:09:17 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
Yes, TCU and the 8 dwarfs.

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »

It's not about star power.  Half of the Big Ten sucks almost every year:  Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, and even Purdue to a degree.  It's an arms race and it's about survival to them.  Rutgers is a decent school academically and it has the New York market.  They are confident that joining the conference will lift the level of play of Rutgers.  Pitt is a very solid program.  Penn State would NEVER go to the Big East...it's a dying conference.

Dying Conference!?!?
The Big East was the top-earning men's basketball conference last year. Even when you break the revenue down to a per-school formula the BE was in the top 4. The Big 10 has it's own TV network. The SEC is the most profitable football conference. Texas is the top football earner with Penn State second and Notre Dame third. In other words, east of the Mississippi, Penn St and Notre Dame are the richest football schools. The Big East could offer Penn St a Notre Dame-like arrangement. ND has its own TV deal for football. They will never give that cash cow up. The BE can weaken the Big 10 by promising Penn St it could keep 80% of its FB revenue instead of sharing it like in the Big 10. Adding Penn St would elevate all the BE FB team's earning power and make any TV deal easier to negotiate. But the BE may not need them if they negotiate a lucrative TV deal with NBC or ESPN. THAT is where the money is!

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Mo Hark reneged on football giant UConn.
And Jakarr Sampson didnt sign wit football giant Lville
And Ricardo Gathers didnt sign wit football giant Cuse.
And Dom Pointer didnt sign wit football giant Michigan.
And Amir Garrett and Phil Greene didnt sign wit football giant Oregon.
And D'Angelo Harrison and Nuri Lindsey didnt sign wit football giant Okl State.
And Norvel Pelle didnt sign wit football giant Washington.
And Gods Gift Achiuwa didnt sign wit football giant Kentucky.

Now tell me, who's drivin the BE bus?

Luvin these days.

-Choz4Life

Moose

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Mo Hark reneged on football giant UConn.
And Jakarr Sampson didnt sign wit football giant Lville
And Ricardo Gathers didnt sign wit football giant Cuse.
And Dom Pointer didnt sign wit football giant Michigan.
And Amir Garrett and Phil Greene didnt sign wit football giant Oregon.
And D'Angelo Harrison and Nuri Lindsey didnt sign wit football giant Okl State.
And Norvel Pelle didnt sign wit football giant Washington.
And Gods Gift Achiuwa didnt sign wit football giant Kentucky.

Now tell me, who's drivin the BE bus?

Luvin these days.

-Choz4Life

You are on point these last few days!

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
except for syracuse and kentucky being football "giants" lol
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »

Well you can plug in Texas or LSU for Gathers and Baylor for Jakarr if you want.

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
The Big East shot itself in the foot in 1981 when it rejected Penn State's request for membership in the Big East Conference which at that time lacked football.  The vote was 5 to 3 in favor of admitting PSU however the admission required 80% in favor.  Penn State then opted for the Big 10 and the rest is history.

Fast forward to the year 2011 and you find the Big East Football Conference to be the "Bridesmaid's Conference" because each of the football schools would rather be a member of another athletic conference.  Recall that Syracuse University had its bags packed for the ACC in 1994 only to lose the invite to VaTeck.  Recently rutgers, SU, Yukon, and pittsburgh each unsuccessfully campaigned for Big 10 membership. Likewise SU, west virginia, rutgers, Yukon and USF would jump at an invite to the ACC.  Not one of the Big East Football schools is in the Big East as their first choice. 

There was a time when I feared what the effect of a Big East split would have on St. John's and the other basketball only members of the Big East however I now believe that the “basketball only” schools in the Big East hold the leverage in this matter.

The Big East bylaws still require 80% approval for an all sport addition and  it has been reported that the basketball only schools are not inclined to vote to expand the number of all sport teams from current 17.  There has been some discussion about adding Army, Navy, and Air Force as  "football only" but I doubt that the addition of any, much less all of the service academies will give the Big East football the star power which seemingly delusional Ollie Luck believes it has.

The Big East football schools have no good options for expansion.  The credibility of the Big East football will not be upgraded by adding teams from lightweights ECU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, or Houston.  The fact is that few in the state of Florida even care about UCF since all follow UF, Fla. State, Miami, Georgia and every other SEC team, and USF before they would watch the UCF game between rutgers and UCF.  The same can be said about Houston and the other potential candidates. 

If the Big East really wants to upgrade the quality of its football conference then it would expel bottom feeder rutgers.  Take a moment to look at the lightweight out of conference teams which rutgers has played over the past 7 seasons.  Pitiful.

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »

What? You didnt hear? They ARE giants. All the BE fball programs are. Titans truly. The only thing holdin them back from becomin Florida and Oklahoma and USC and Texas of I-95 is them pesky bball schools that shouldnt have a say one way or another cause the Big East is all about the football.

Might makes right.

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »

What? You didnt hear? They ARE giants. All the BE fball programs are. Titans truly. The only thing holdin them back from becomin Florida and Oklahoma and USC and Texas of I-95 is them pesky bball schools that shouldnt have a say one way or another cause the Big East is all about the football.

Might makes right.

LMAO!!!
There are some here that would rather see the Big East a mediocre football conference than the top basketball conference that it currently is. Some of these folks think football money will, like a magician, turn the Big East football stadiums from half-filled 50,000 seat stadiums into 100,000 seat Texas or Michigan or Tenn or Penn State sold out stadiums. The only thing diluting the Big East BRAND name right now are the football schools! USF, Cinncy, Rutgers, Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse will NEVER challenge a Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Tenn, Ole Miss, Auburn, etc., etc., for football supremacy. They can and do in basketball, however. The schools with sold out 90,000 seat stadiums earn millions more than the BE football schools on ticket and concession sales alone without TV money!  Uconn and Rutgers had zero profit from their programs last year and they are STATE schools! If the Big East football schools ever got the 80% vote to boot any BB schools they would have thrown the baby out with the bath water. Even IF the Big 10 became the Big 16 by cherry-picking the only viable BE football schools UWV and Pitt, the Big East would survive and continue to prosper once the new TV deal is signed.