Hope Springs Eternal [Sweet,Sweet,Lavin]

• 16 replies
Hope Springs Eternal [Sweet,Sweet,Lavin]
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
Coming into the 2011-2012 college basketball season, St. John’s boasts 9 new players, 7 of them true freshmen.  The one returning player, Junior guard Malik Stith, played only minor minutes for the Red Storm the previous season.  With this team being the youngest in the 104-year history of St. John’s basketball, there will undoubtedly be a ton of questions that will need answering over the course of the season.

The first and most obvious question is who Steve Lavin will select to be the starting five.  The five starting players on November 17th against Arizona will most likely be different from the players we end up seeing in Big East competition come January, as the most capable players will reveal themselves as the season progresses.  With that in mind here is a projected starting five based on what is known before any basketball is played.

http://sweetsweetlavin.com/2011/08/10/hope-springs-eternal/

crgreen

Re: Hope Springs Eternal [Sweet,Sweet,Lavin]
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Somebody quick!  Get Achiuwa off whatever diet he's on - the story says he's down to 200 lbs!!!!!  :)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
Somebody quick!  Get Achiuwa off whatever diet he's on - the story says he's down to 200 lbs!!!!!  :)

Article says Achuiwa is 240.
Sampson & Pelle are mentioned as 200 lbs.
All as listed previously.

I dont think Pelle Starts. Achuiwa @ 5(but they split mins 50/50 anyway)
Then fwds 2 of Harkless, Sampson & Pointer.
But meaningless as I bet all 10 average 12-15+ min, and none over 25 min/g
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:37:56 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »

But meaningless as I bet all 10 average 12-15+ min, and none over 25 min/g
[/quote]

Agree on that last point.  I think we're going to press fullcourt on D, which means most players probably won't be out there for much more then 5 minutes at a time.

Might hurt offensive continuity at times, but my guess is that the goal is to create fastbreaks, and easy baskets, off of the press.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
I don't see any way GG starts more than a handful of games.  There is too much talent there with Sampson and Pelle--not even getting into a handful of wings that could play the four in the zone. 

ras

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
I believe Lavin will rotate between Pelle.Gift ,and Sampson @ the 4.5 positions Gift provides the muscle that is lacking.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
Agree with Marillac here.  Gods gift will be used mostly in situations where we need some size and strength in our defensive frontline.  Aside from that, Lavin has a lot more time invested in the development and PT needed for some of the 4 year guys.  I don't doubt Achiuwa will share some decent minutes,  but it will be hard to keep guys like Pelle, Amir, pointer and even Greene off the court in favor.   Achiuwa will help with muscle up front and split some time with Pelle in the middle so he can come along at his rate.  I doubt we'll use Gift that much at the 4 except at the same time as Pelle in select situations against big front lines.  I think Jakarr gets lions share of minutes at the 4 split with some other forwards.  Achiuwa mainly a secondary 5 player for us.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:37:26 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »
I really don't know what to expect out of GG.  I think Coker could have put up really, really sick stats at Erie, and Lavin didn't even use Coker to play at all. 

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
I really don't know what to expect out of GG.  I think Coker could have put up really, really sick stats at Erie, and Lavin didn't even use Coker to play at all.

I don't know either Marillac.  I just think we have a lot of top rated athletes that will need time as well, and in a running and pressing system, we will o a bit smaller more often than not when we are able to.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
Marillac has never been a GG fan. I'm going to against the grain and say he will get major minutes and hopefully have a big impact ( in interest of full disclosure I'm basing my admittedly uniformed opinion on a 30 second youtube video)

But what the heck. I have a good feeling about him and if I'm wrong at least I rooted for the catholic

Moose

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »

I don't know either Marillac.  I just think we have a lot of top rated athletes that will need time as well, and in a running and pressing system, we will o a bit smaller more often than not when we are able to.

Coker couldn't play D and therefore couldnt stay on the court long enough to contribute offensively.  In the game I saw Coker he played the entire game and picked up 3 fouls, 1 offensive.  He is light years better than Coker defensively.  Offensively they are pretty much even I think.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »

Coker couldn't play D and therefore couldnt stay on the court long enough to contribute offensively.  In the game I saw Coker he played the entire game and picked up 3 fouls, 1 offensive.  He is light years better than Coker defensively.  Offensively they are pretty much even I think.

Defensively in terms of positioning, shotblocking, both?  I've never seen the kid I just saw his stats from last year at such a low level to be only averaging that few blocks is startling.  Is he a body up type defender that doesn't really go for blocks?  That might explain it. 

Moose

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »

Defensively in terms of positioning, shotblocking, both?  I've never seen the kid I just saw his stats from last year at such a low level to be only averaging that few blocks is startling.  Is he a body up type defender that doesn't really go for blocks?  That might explain it. 

When Redmen gets fully back up it might be worth it to bring back my post from when I saw him play vs. Monroe.  They avoided him at all costs.  He had a couple blocks and they were pretty much the only chances he had to block shots.  And from what I recall the fouls he had weren't blocks that turned into hacks.  They were solid, smart fouls.  Gift serves the perfect purpose for this team the next two years.  And by all indications he's an eager and quick learner and in the hands of Dunlap and Rico the sky is limit for him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »
well Moose it will be nice to do some research again in Redmen.com (God willing), then we can again verify you
as one of the first Steve Lavin advocates. LOL

derk

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
I always thought the purpose of having GG on the tean was for his experience and bulk, and as a way to ease Pelle into BE competition. Sampson and Mo provide a nice offensive compliment up front to make up for an offensively challenged GG.

I think Lindsay and Harrison are too talented not to start. Remember this is only a projected starting lineup so it wouldn't surprise me if Coach wants to establish the leadership of Stith for down the road purposes, and everone is going to play.

Lindsay
Harrison
GG
Sampson
Harkless

crgreen

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
I always thought the purpose of having GG on the tean was for his experience and bulk, and as a way to ease Pelle into BE competition. Sampson and Mo provide a nice offensive compliment up front to make up for an offensively challenged GG.

I think Lindsay and Harrison are too talented not to start. Remember this is only a projected starting lineup so it wouldn't surprise me if Coach wants to establish the leadership of Stith for down the road purposes, and everone is going to play.

Lindsay
Harrison
GG
Sampson
Harkless

And I think Sir Dominic is too talented not to start.   Hey, maybe Steve will bring back his "platoon" lineups from his UCLA days - two separate starting 5s depending on the opposition!   ;)

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
Isn't it much more fun to speculate than a few years ago !

Lavin could easily start the season flipping all 10 as starters
the first 10 or so games, & it would keep all 10 happy.

1st                  2nd
      Lindsey             Stith
      Greene            Harrison
      Garrett            Pointer
      Harkless          Sampson
      Achuiwa            Pelle

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:12:34 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71