2002 McDonald's All Americans .... where are they now

• 4 replies

dR3w

2002 McDonald's All Americans .... where are they now
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15421905/class-of-2002-serves-as-a-cautionary-tale-for-todays-allamericans

"There are others that were just flat overrated -- and shouldn't have been ranked anywhere near McDonald's All-American status. Guys like Elijah Ingram, Sean Dockery, Travis Garrison and Michael Thompson. "

crgreen

Re: 2002 McDonald's All Americans .... where are they now
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
The writer's done some serious spinning.  He got a quote he liked from Evan Burns "hype went to my head" - and uses him as a cautionary tale with his "Burns played one year at San Diego State after failing to qualify for UCLA", and  "Burns never played a day in the NBA".   

Evan Burns DID qualify for UCLA.  But the clearinghouse refused to certify him till after classes started at UCLA - and since UCLA has a rule against partial qualifiers, there was no scholie for Burns till the clearance came.   San Diego State DID accept partial qualifiers on scholie, so Evan enrolled there.   Two weeks later, he was given his clearance by the NCAA.   (there was no problem with grades.  The problem was the NCAA questioned one of the core classes - a history class - that he took during his junior year.   That class had been used to qualify by 14 other past athletes at the school, and Burns class schedules had been prepared by the school guidance counselor.  The class has subsequntly been used numerous times by qualifying atheletes from the school.  There's never been an explanation from the NCAA as to why the class was questioned in this single instance).

But what the writer really fails to mention, in making Burns look like a total failure, is that during that one year at SD State, he was the Conference Freshman of Year.   But after putting up a 27pt 14 reb performance in the next to the last regular season game,  Evan shredded his knee (ligment and tendon).  He spent a year off recovering - doing full-time rehab and unfortunately letting his schoolwork slide, so after that year, he put his name in the draft.   Jerry West had him in for a workout with Memphis, and commented that it was a shame - if he'd declared straight out of high school, they'd likely have taken a shot on him, but he'd lost his lateral quickness to the injury - he'd be Dleauge at best now.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
What I took away:

"Obviously, my dream is to play in the NBA," said Buckman, a former Texas forward who spent parts of last season in three countries -- Germany, Croatia and Turkey. "But life in Europe is pretty amazing. I've had a blast."

"Basketball over here is good," added ex-Wake Forest big man Eric Williams. "It's not as easy as people think and guys get multi-million contracts. I've made tons of money and the best part is it's all tax-free. Life isn't all that different than being in the NBA -- except you're in another country."
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
Good read.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »
I like this:

Burns, who can be found playing down at the local YMCA these days, sometimes finds himself caught reflecting back to that week in New York City, what seems like yesterday, and a vivid conversation he shared Redick.

"J.J. knew exactly what he wanted," Burns said. "He was humble and worked. We were all talking about the NBA and how quickly we were going to get there and he was talking about playing at Duke for four years and getting an education. That's what he told me and look at him now."

The crazy aspect is that Redick wasn't necessarily preparing himself for the NBA. He said he took an Italian class his junior year because his plan was to play overseas.