Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies
Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Maybe, it is time to sever ties.

Overreact much?

I also stated, Hicks wasn't mentioned in any wrongdoing, considering Shapiro was interviewed for more than 100 hours.  Maybe, nothing comes of this.  We shall see.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
I just think it looks bad. 

Moose

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »

I might look bad but it was 2 yrs prior to Hicks working for STJ.  I think that needs to be emphasized.  Its not like he did it under our watch.  The investigation has been going on for almost a year now, no?  We have solid compliance officials and I would like to think that Hicks was forthcoming with Lavin and our staff did its due diligence.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »

I might look bad but it was 2 yrs prior to Hicks working for STJ.  I think that needs to be emphasized.  Its not like he did it under our watch.  The investigation has been going on for almost a year now, no?  We have solid compliance officials and I would like to think that Hicks was forthcoming with Lavin and our staff did its due diligence.

If it is found out or even implicated that one of Hicks' kids from Rice was paid and he was on a trip to Miami with coaches and boosters, it doesn't matter how long ago it was.  We shouldn't be dealing with guys like that on our staff.  I doubt anybody would be forthcoming if they were involved in something like that.  Nobody expected Shapiro to talk.  Listen, I'm not accusing Hicks of anything, but Shapiro mentioning Hicks by name is really not good considering Durand chose Miami over Uconn at that time.  I just have been enjoying the success we're seeing lately and don't want to see it spoiled by this nonsense. 

Moose

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »

If it is found out or even implicated that one of Hicks' kids from Rice was paid and he was on a trip to Miami with coaches and boosters, it doesn't matter how long ago it was.  We shouldn't be dealing with guys like that on our staff.  I doubt anybody would be forthcoming if they were involved in something like that.  Nobody expected Shapiro to talk.  Listen, I'm not accusing Hicks of anything, but Shapiro mentioning Hicks by name is really not good considering Durand chose Miami over Uconn at that time.  I just have been enjoying the success we're seeing lately and don't want to see it spoiled by this nonsense. 

But you were also ready to kick Hicks to curb after Harkless played just 2 AAU tournaments with him, no?

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »

But you were also ready to kick Hicks to curb after Harkless played just 2 AAU tournaments with him, no?

I've not been convinced that it was a great hire because of the fact that weve had to deal with the harkless nonsense.  With regard to the Harkless thing, I don't think hicks did anything wrong.  I just thought that the association hurt us more than it has helped us.  This Miami this is at a different level though.

ras

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:33 AM »
Just because a staff member of any Univ. went out to dinner with a bad apple doesnt make it a wrong doing.

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
We dont even know if Hicks was there with a recruit.
Was his flight/hotel paid for, or was he on self paid vacation ?
The article had scathing problems for many mentioned.

The mention of Hicks @ a club by itself could be fine.
Is anything wrong with a booster picking up a dinner check when dining with a HS coach ?

I assume the St. Johns admin. has been questioning Mo since this broke.
Lets remember he's one of ours. I want him here unless much worse comes out.
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
The mention of Hicks @ a club by itself could be fine.
Is anything wrong with a booster picking up a dinner check when dining with a HS coach ?

Boosters cannot be involved with anyone (Players, recruits, coaches of recruits).  They should just write checks to the University and that's it.  If Durand Scott never went to Miami I would be less concerned. 

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »
So if a dinner and a nightclub bill was picked up. Bad for Miami.
(From the article Miami's screwed 100X over)
Does the HS coach get censured ?
If thats what happened and nothing more,
could that really cost Mo his job here ?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:33:45 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
Maybe, it is time to sever ties.

Overreact much?

According to what I read, Hicks went out to dinner. Likely scenario: Hicks takes Durand to Miami, Haith sends Hicks out to dinner with dirty booster, which dirty booster tells Hicks what benefits are available to him and his players. If thats what happened its not even a venial sin. And if that's not what happened, then either Lavin knew or should have known - which seems impossible, since TGAPL is both pure and infallible.

What's described in the article happens everywhere, and has been happening eveywhere since the days of peach baskets and leather helmets. Sure, things are more heinous nowadays, but then our culture is more heinous. Nowadays even a petty tortured little dwarf like Nevin Shapiro can engage in debacheries that make the Marquis De Sade and Aleister Crowley look like parish priests. Okay, maybe not priests, that was a bad analogy. Pikers, look like pikers. Ours is a repulsive and vile society and the NCAA is but a microcosm of that. Obviously things are particularly awful at football schools, and sure, the SEC is a particularly fetid sewer, and yes, the availablity of cheap cocaine makes even small time criminals in Miami particualy brazen and seamy.   

Which being said, the minute a whiff of big time college athletics wafts under the door of the mom and pop store: panic!

Well, you can have either have a squeaky clean losing mom and pop program, in which case Coach Norm Roberts, or you can have bigtime winning program, in which case TGAPL. There's no in between: even the Mormons are fornicators. The bright side is that the NCAA is too busy investigating illegal summer conditioning workouts at Southeast Missouri State to notice a convicted felon pimping for the entire Miami football team on the yacht he bought bilking poor widows and orphans out of a hundred million dollars. So probably as long as Lavin keeps winning and no one's convicted, there's not a lot to worry about and no need to throw anyone under the bus.
A very solid diatribe.  Ironically, it ends with your photo of weasels being teabagged - lol
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:59:31 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »
It is possible that Hick's was out with the Miami Coach's at the club. How would he to know who is a Miami booster.

Public area it is not like he went on Nevin Shapiro  boat.

Moe Hicks coached HS Basketball for how long and some people are willing to throw him under a bus for one quote from a man in Jail.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
It is possible that Hick's was out with the Miami Coach's at the club. How would he to know who is a Miami booster.

Public area it is not like he went on Nevin Shapiro  boat.

Moe Hicks coached HS Basketball for how long and some people are willing to throw him under a bus for one quote from a man in Jail.
It seems on the surface to be a non-issue.  On the other hand, poor Coach L may be screwed. He and Golden are both squeaky clean type coaches who may not see the light of a tourney appearance for years to come.  And Mrs. Hewitt now gets to say thx to Coach L.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:52:21 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
it's common knowledge there's dirtiness going on re: aau basketball.  you can research the articles yourself.  let's not be naive.  the aau made jarvis and roberts what they are today.  it has that power.  that's why hicks was brought in here.
that being said...shapiro is another sam gilbert...you remember...the booster who got john wooden into the hall of fame as a coach and a prestigious trophy named for him.
in other words, this will blow over.

i'd like to see kob's or choz's takes on this.

crgreen

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
it's common knowledge there's dirtiness going on re: aau basketball.  you can research the articles yourself.  let's not be naive.  the aau made jarvis and roberts what they are today.  it has that power.  that's why hicks was brought in here.
that being said...shapiro is another sam gilbert...you remember...the booster who got john wooden into the hall of fame as a coach and a prestigious trophy named for him.
in other words, this will blow over.

i'd like to see kob's or choz's takes on this.

John Wooden had 3 NCAA Championships before Sam Gilbert got involved with the program.  (And since Alicindor was already there, one could argue 5 Championships).  I'm sure "you remember"....

wpc77

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Mo was doing what every other AAU or big time inner city coach does.  That is, mlik these boosters for free stuff. Has been going on for decades.  Means nothing. Let's not, as another poster on here said, be naïve about the state of college ball.  SJU is clean, unlike cuse, uconn wva and others, but it still needs to and now does have a line with the aau slime.  Not viilations, but open communication. Viilations are what others do.  All in the game

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »
Mo was doing what every other AAU or big time inner city coach does.  That is, mlik these boosters for free stuff. Has been going on for decades.  Means nothing. Let's not, as another poster on here said, be naïve about the state of college ball.  SJU is clean, unlike cuse, uconn wva and others, but it still needs to and now does have a line with the aau slime.  Not viilations, but open communication. Viilations are what others do.  All in the game

Hicks was a CHSAA HS coach, not just an AAU coach.  If Bob Hurley were down getting benefits, going to clubs and dinners with X school's boosters shortly before one of his kids committed to X school, would you feel the same way?? 

wpc77

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »
You didn't read what I wrote - said "or big time inner city coach". To answer your question, yes. There is only one big east coach that does not deal with street agents and aau guys heavily - brey.  That's why his peers adulate hom w/ COY honors

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
Hey, maybe it will blow over, what do I know?  Hope so.

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
I think it's a whole lot of nothing, but if we keep talking about it, someone will undoubtedly send the link to this thread to the NCAA.