Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies
Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »
if we keep talking about it, someone will undoubtedly send the link to this thread to the NCAA.

You're probably right.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
if we keep talking about it, someone will undoubtedly send the link to this thread to the NCAA.

You're probably right.

This investigation has being going on for awhile though.  I don't think the names are shocking to the NCAA. To the public, yes but not to the NCAA.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »
I'm not worried about this yet and it happened before Mo got here anyway. I don't want to jump to any conclusions and until proven guilty of anything I think Mo deserves the benefit of the doubt

desco80

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
There are numerous current NCAA players and/or coaches mentioned in the article, so it really shouldn't surprise anyone if the NCAA decides to spin-off an investigation into any of the numerous assistant coaches Shapiro mentioned who are now coaching elsewhere; or for that matter coach Haith at Missouri, current players like Jacory Harris, or even players that transferred like Purdue QB Brian Marve.  Hicks definitely will at least be looked at by the NCAA, regardless of what we say on this board.

Moose

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
There are numerous current NCAA players and/or coaches mentioned in the article, so it really shouldn't surprise anyone if the NCAA decides to spin-off an investigation into any of the numerous assistant coaches Shapiro mentioned who are now coaching elsewhere; or for that matter coach Haith at Missouri, current players like Jacory Harris, or even players that transferred like Purdue QB Brian Marve.  Hicks definitely will at least be looked at by the NCAA, regardless of what we say on this board.

But the investigation has been known by the NCAA for a year now.  Who's to say he hasn't been investigated already?

desco80

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »

But the investigation has been known by the NCAA for a year now.  Who's to say he hasn't been investigated already?

Good point.  I would hope that means he's been cleared then.   Seems plausible.   Just thinking aloud - but how many investigators does the enforcement committee have?  Can't be all that big a staff.   So if Mo's name came up in this mess, maybe that's why they took their time clearing the Harkless-matter.   Not that Harkless wouldn't have been cleared to play, but could they have been giving Hicks a closer look? 

Moose

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:18 PM »

Good point.  I would hope that means he's been cleared then.   Seems plausible.   Just thinking aloud - but how many investigators does the enforcement committee have?  Can't be all that big a staff.   So if Mo's name came up in this mess, maybe that's why they took their time clearing the Harkless-matter.   Not that Harkless wouldn't have been cleared to play, but could they have been giving Hicks a closer look? 

An advantage is the football portion is so much more than the basketball part.

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
I think it's a whole lot of nothing, but if we keep talking about it, someone will undoubtedly send the link to this thread to the NCAA.

It's already on all the other boards.  Has been since the article came out. 

LJSA

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »

Are they talking about Hicks specifically, or just the story in general?

SJUFAN

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
The story is about Miami. This is a non issue with regard to Hicks. Some of you may not like the implication, but I say screw the "i don't like what it looks like" and wake me up when there is some proof of some wrong doing. Welcome to Big time college sports and we are now one of the Big boys. Lavin doesn't have a history of doing things the "wrong way" so I trust his decision to bring in Hicks. He is highly regarded and will pay dividends in the future. 

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:44 AM »

Both. 

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

Both. 

Mostly, a couple of Hall fans are talking about Hicks.  Most boards (that I've read) are focusing on the "U."

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »

Both. 

Mostly, a couple of Hall fans are talking about Hicks.  Most boards (that I've read) are focusing on the "U."

Yeah, just don't like this kind of publicity right now.  Not naive that stuff like this happens.  Just hate to see it used as fodder against us.

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
In retrospect, it turned out a goood thing Miami left the conference, especially if they get the death penalty.

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
The scandal has reached New York, with a line in the Yahoo! report that Shapiro once entertained current St. John's director of basketball operations Moe Hicks, the former Rice High coach, along with other coaches at a Miami nightclub in 2008.

"I don't know what that's all about," Hicks said last night. "I was there with a bunch of coaches but I never had any dealings with the man."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/08/18/2011-08-18_ncaa_must_raze_canes.html#ixzz1VO0SyQ1U

Moose

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
I've mentioned a couple times that this investigation was going on for awhile supposedly.  But then new football coach Al Golden claims he never heard of this during the interview process.  That isn't good if true.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
I've mentioned a couple times that this investigation was going on for awhile supposedly.  But then new football coach Al Golden claims he never heard of this during the interview process.  That isn't good if true.

Yes, the investigation has been going on for awhile.  Maybe, Golden knew something about it, but didn't realize the magnitude.  Who knows!?!

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
The scandal has reached New York, with a line in the Yahoo! report that Shapiro once entertained current St. John's director of basketball operations Moe Hicks, the former Rice High coach, along with other coaches at a Miami nightclub in 2008.

"I don't know what that's all about," Hicks said last night. "I was there with a bunch of coaches but I never had any dealings with the man."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/08/18/2011-08-18_ncaa_must_raze_canes.html#ixzz1VO0SyQ1U

Enough said!  Since when is attending a social event, regardless of who is hosting it, a crime? If there was no one-on-one relationship regarding a specific player and since the 100 hours of interviews disclosed zero about coach Hicks then why is this a St. John's issue???

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »

Good news. shows how we should try not to jump to conclusions.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
The hell is this?!?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.