Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies
Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
i love how a one sentence reference to moe can turn into a 5 page thread based on complete speculation.

as anyone stopped to think about why a person would suddenly decide to spill the beans on a program after being sent to jail, and most likely will have to pay back some of the losing parties of his ponzi scheme.

hmmm....can you say book deal. this whole story is being blown out of proportion to make for good book sales. i highly doubt that anything will come from this, for us that is. for miami, that is a completely different story.

not to mention mncpa's drive to discredit hicks. aka the main reason this thread is still active. Look, the dude is better than any of the assistants that we have had in the past 6 years, and this dude isnt even an assistant. I'd like to think he knows better than to associate with shady characters. (jock strap sniffers, as jimmy johnson so eloquently put it)

Personally i believe its a non issue. and nothing will happen as a result.

Firing Hicks now, would be completely irrational, and cause waves in the local recruiting scene.

The story is still unfolding, lets wait till more facts are out before we start bringing out the fire moe mob.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2011, 07:35:01 AM »
as anyone stopped to think about why a person would suddenly decide to spill the beans on a program after being sent to jail, and most likely will have to pay back some of the losing parties of his ponzi scheme.

hmmm....can you say book deal. this whole story is being blown out of proportion to make for good book sales.

can you say Son of Sam Law?

Fla. Stat. § 944.512

A lien prior in dignity to all others shall exist in favor of the state upon royalties, commissions, proceeds of sale, or any other thing of value payable to or accruing to a convicted felon or a person on her or his behalf, including any person to whom the proceeds may be transferred or assigned by gift or otherwise, from any literary, cinematic, or other account of the crime for which she or he was convicted. A conviction shall be defined as a guilty verdict by a jury or judge, or a guilty or nolo contendere plea by the defendant, regardless of adjudication of guilt. The lien shall attach at the time of the conviction in county or circuit court. In the event of an appeal, the funds will be held in the Revolving Escrow Trust Fund of the Department of Legal Affairs until the appeal is resolved.

Foad

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »
get my drift?

Yeah, evidently you think Choz's wife is a whore.

MCNPA

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »
i love how a one sentence reference to moe can turn into a 5 page thread based on complete speculation.

hmmm....can you say book deal. this whole story is being blown out of proportion to make for good book sales. i highly doubt that anything will come from this, for us that is. for miami, that is a completely different story.

not to mention mncpa's drive to discredit hicks. aka the main reason this thread is still active. Look, the dude is better than any of the assistants that we have had in the past 6 years, and this dude isnt even an assistant. I'd like to think he knows better than to associate with shady characters. (jock strap sniffers, as jimmy johnson so eloquently put it)

Personally i believe its a non issue. and nothing will happen as a result.

Firing Hicks now, would be completely irrational, and cause waves in the local recruiting scene.

The story is still unfolding, lets wait till more facts are out before we start bringing out the fire moe mob.

I am on no drive to discredit Hicks.  This IS an issue and not one that I created on this message board.  Zags is writing about it as is yahoo and other media.  Blaming me for Mo's associations is downright stupid.  My loyalty is with SJU and this stuff IMO is embarrassing for the program and causing somewhat of a black eye.  It's unfortunate and as I said hopefully not detrimental to us in the future.  To call it a "non-issue" is something I don't believe to be correct.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:53:06 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
get my drift?

Yeah, evidently you think Choz's wife is a whore.

I said it was a hypothetical.  Pretty sure you and choz understood that it had nothing to do with anybody's wife but more about perception.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:47:15 AM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I said it was a hypothetical.  Pretty sure you and choz understood that it had nothing to do with anybody's wife but more about perception.

I have a trenchant hypothetical that involves your kids getting leukemia that I think would clear up your confusion. Interested in hearing it?

MCNPA

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:43 AM »

I have a trenchant hypothetical that involves your kids getting leukemia that I think would clear up your confusion. Interested in hearing it?

If it makes yo more comfortable, use my wife in the hypothetical or even the neighbor's wife or "some dude's" wife. It doesnt really matter and had little to do with my point.  It was fictional.  My apologies to Choz if it was taken that way.  It was just a parable about perception.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:37:43 AM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
If it makes yo more comfortable, use my wife in the hypothetical or even the neighbor's wife. It doesnt really matter and had little to do with my point.

In the first place, your hypothetical was lame, because there's no evidence that Hicks has done anything wrong. The proper hypothetical would be that a guy comes home and finds his wife fully clothed and the pool boy's in the back cleaning the pool fully clothed and the guy assumes that his wife and the pool guy have just had it off because he deep down he just knows that all women are harlots and especially his wife. And in the second place, you could have made your lame point without dragging the guy's wife into it and calling her a whore.

MCNPA

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
If it makes yo more comfortable, use my wife in the hypothetical or even the neighbor's wife. It doesnt really matter and had little to do with my point.

In the first place, your hypothetical was lame, because there's no evidence that Hicks has done anything wrong. The proper hypothetical would be that a guy comes home and finds his wife fully clothed and the pool boy's in the back cleaning the pool fully clothed and the guy assumes that his wife and the pool guy have just had it off because he deep down he just knows that all women are harlots and especially his wife. And in the second place, you could have made your lame point without dragging the guy's wife into it and calling her a whore.

If the point of your stories is to demonstrate that you're a dick, then you're spot on.  We already knew it though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:43:28 PM by MCNPA »

mkras99

« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »

hmmm....can you say book deal. this whole story is being blown out of proportion to make for good book sales.

can you say Son of Sam Law?

Fla. Stat. § 944.512

A lien prior in dignity to all others shall exist in favor of the state upon royalties, commissions, proceeds of sale, or any other thing of value payable to or accruing to a convicted felon or a person on her or his behalf, including any person to whom the proceeds may be transferred or assigned by gift or otherwise, from any literary, cinematic, or other account of the crime for which she or he was convicted. A conviction shall be defined as a guilty verdict by a jury or judge, or a guilty or nolo contendere plea by the defendant, regardless of adjudication of guilt. The lien shall attach at the time of the conviction in county or circuit court. In the event of an appeal, the funds will be held in the Revolving Escrow Trust Fund of the Department of Legal Affairs until the appeal is resolved.

Sounds like the Florida "Son of Sam" statute may not apply then, given that Shapiro was convicted for a $930mm ponzi scheme, rather than buying hookers for college kids.

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
Law can be so much simpler when one can understand what they have read!

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »

I am on no drive to discredit Hicks.
  This IS an issue and not one that I created on this message board.  Zags is writing about it as is yahoo and other media.  Blaming me for Mo's associations is downright stupid.  My loyalty is with SJU and this stuff IMO is embarrassing for the program and causing somewhat of a black eye.  It's unfortunate and as I said hopefully not detrimental to us in the future.  To call it a "non-issue" is something I don't believe to be correct.

You are not on a drive to discredit Mr. Hicks?? You could have fooled me! You have been using the terms "embarrassing", "black eye", etc. If that is not discrediting I am confused??!!?? There are zero implications in this story for St. John's but that does not seem to satisfy your artistic broad-brush approach to tarnish our program. This story has as much effect on SJU as Pitino humping hoars in restaurants.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:17:58 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »

You were ready to throw him under the bus for the Harkless thing(which was nothing).

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

You were ready to throw him under the bus for the Harkless thing(which was nothing).

This stuff is frustrating.  I didn't throw him under the bus for it, just questioned whether the hire was worth it.  The Harkless stuff wasn't his fault.

Foad

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
Sounds like the Florida "Son of Sam" statute may not apply then, given that Shapiro was convicted for a $930mm ponzi scheme, rather than buying hookers for college kids.

Clearly it would depend. Question: can he recount the story of his boosterism w/o mentioning the crime that generated the money with which he boostered? I suppose he could. Would a publisher give him a contract to write about his penny ante boosterism and let someone else publisbh the story of the $100 million? I suppose one might.

Anyway the jokes on me, he was convicted in Jersey, not Florida.

§ 52:4B-28. Proceeds from contract regarding reenactment with person accused or convicted of crime; deposit in escrow account; civil action for damages

Every person, firm, corporation, partnership, association or other legal entity contracting with a person convicted or accused of a crime in this State or an agent, assignee, beneficiary, conservator, executor, guardian, representative, relative, friend, associate or conspirator of a person convicted or accused of a crime in this State, with respect to the reenactment of the crime, by way of a movie, book, magazine article, other literary expression, recording, radio or television presentation, live entertainment or presentation of any kind, or from the expression of the person's thoughts, feelings, opinions or emotions regarding the crime, shall submit a copy of the contract to the board and shall pay over to the board all moneys which would otherwise, by terms of the contract, be owing the person convicted or accused of a crime in this State or an agent, assignee, beneficiary, conservator, executor, guardian, representative, relative, friend, associate or conspirator of a person convicted or accused of a crime in this State.

He plead guilty to fraud and money laundering. Can his boosterism be discussed absent a discussion of his thoughts about the money he laundered?

I don't think his motive is pecuniary. He was ordered to pay ~ 85 million is restitution. He's not going to make that writing a book about Warren Sapp going to a strip club. IMO the confession plays to the same sort of tortured dwarf BMOC psychodramatics that got him in trouble in the first place.

« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
The report by Yahoo! Sports on Shapiro's claims includes two photographs of the disgraced booster with former coach Haith -- one at a swanky Miami Beach restaurant and the other showing the pair with Miami president Donna Shalala at a bowling alley accepting what Shapiro said was a $50,000 donation to the school's basketball program.............I have not read anywhere where Miami is embarrassed by Donna Shalala being pictured with Shapiro in the bowling alley and asking for her termination but some here think we should fire Moe Hicks because there is a picture of him at a bar with other coaches! BTW, WHO were the other coaches? How many HS and AAU coaches were "entertained " by Shapiro over the six years in question? I want names.  I want heads to roll! I want Miami football killed off. I want Va.Tech investigated since none of their football players can read nor write. I want to know how top 50 academic programs like UNC and GaTach can admit football players in the bottom 25% of their graduating class. I want to know how FlaSt can field a football team made up of former special Ed students!  I want the ACC investigated. I want them dead, DEAD!
See......I just made this into an ACC thing instead of a St. John's thing!  Responses are welcomed.

Logen

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Lets get right to the heart of the allegation and not beat 'round the bush like some y'all is doin.

Some y'all is accussin Moe of sellin Durand Scott to The U.

Ridic in the most extreme. And heres why:

Durand has been gettin letters since he was a biddy. By the time summer of '08 was in swing, he was settlin in on three schools that was on him hardest: UConn, Pitt and Miami.

Reason he didnt choose Pitt:
Lamar Patterson gave a an early verbal to Pitt, but that didn't pay no attention wit Durand who thought he was better. But then Lamar started blowing up over the summer of '08. Eventually transferred hisself to St. Bennies in Newark wit Danny Hurley from some small school. So that cut Pitt.

Reason he didnt choose UConn:
Kemba was workin him like y'all wouldnt believe. Then Nate Miles goes bye-bye so Durand think this may be the spot. But Kemba then starts practicin and bein the whippin boy for Jimmy C and Kemba aint talkin up the program like he did. Then UConn got itself a verbal from James Coombs-McDaniel and so UConn wudn't what it looked to be. Gloss wearin off.

Reason he chose Miami:
Jorge Fernandez had been scoutin Russ Smith fo years and then discovered Durand when both was playin for the Choz back in '05 or '06 (I think, years melt t'gether these day).  Russ wasnt developin like some thought and so Jorge started recruitin Durand hard. Then they get Malcolm Grant to transfer in from Nova. The sell from Haith was: you and Malcolm and the backcourt is your's for years. Do yo NYC thing down here against Duke and Carolina and Maryland night in and out.

Look at the players that come outta Rice and outta the Choz fo the last decade or so. They aint no one school they being shipped to. Thats cuz Moe did things the right way. Wudnt no shoppin round. Wudnt no gifts. Kids and fams made the decisions. That wuz the rule.

Choz, I'll give you this hypothetical.

You and all the neighbors see the pool boy running out of your house in the middle of the afternoon while your wife is home with his pants at his ankles.  Regardless of the list of reasons to the contrary, you're going to have a hard time convincing yourself and everybody else in the neighborhood that he was just at your house because your wife was hemming his pants.  get my drift?

Where is there anything in this remotely resembling a guy getting caught with his pants down? Would it be better if Hicks were not in the picture at all,  yes. Is it anything at all at this time except 21st century techno-nonsense which breeds nuclear over-reactive imaginations, no.

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
Regardless, I think the thought that he's been more trouble than he's worth keeps coming to mind.

jr49

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
The report by Yahoo! Sports on Shapiro's claims includes two photographs of the disgraced booster with former coach Haith -- one at a swanky Miami Beach restaurant and the other showing the pair with Miami president Donna Shalala at a bowling alley accepting what Shapiro said was a $50,000 donation to the school's basketball program.............I have not read anywhere where Miami is embarrassed by Donna Shalala being pictured with Shapiro in the bowling alley and asking for her termination but some here think we should fire Moe Hicks because there is a picture of him at a bar with other coaches! BTW, WHO were the other coaches? How many HS and AAU coaches were "entertained " by Shapiro over the six years in question? I want names.  I want heads to roll! I want Miami football killed off. I want Va.Tech investigated since none of their football players can read nor write. I want to know how top 50 academic programs like UNC and GaTach can admit football players in the bottom 25% of their graduating class. I want to know how FlaSt can field a football team made up of former special Ed students!  I want the ACC investigated. I want them dead, DEAD!
See......I just made this into an ACC thing instead of a St. John's thing!  Responses are welcomed.
Good job Beach. Can ya get something on BC?

Moose

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
Regardless, I think the thought that he's been more trouble than he's worth keeps coming to mind.

And there you have Marcus' tag team partner in this debate.  Why am I not shocked.
Remember who broke the Slice news