Gathers vs. Anderson.

• 23 replies

jr49

Gathers vs. Anderson.
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
Prior to Gathers committing, did any out there think he might be a better fit then Anderson?

kjd01067

Re: Gathers vs. Anderson.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
Prior to Gathers committing, did any out there think he might be a better fit then Anderson?

In a previous thread a debate was raised of which recruit one most wanted. My response was Gathers.  I think Gathers brings another dimension to this team.  I love Kyle's game but if I had to choose one (which thankfully I don't) I would choose Gathers.  That being said I am anxiously awaiting 9/20

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »

I guess I looked at it, as both of 'em being a good fit to our roster.  Gathers is a big, strong athletic kid who is gonna be our "bully on the block."  I'll say that figuratively and literally.  I see him posting terrific rebound numbers, as well.  He'll also make a living at the free throw line.  Lastly, he's a guy who is capable of putting the ball on the floor and leading the break.

Anderson is one of those lengthy, rangy kids that Lavin loves to have on his teams.  Anderson may not be as athletic, as many of the kids on the team, but he's not a shabby athlete either.  Anderson is also capable of playing a myriad of styles, and considering we'll play different styles then he certainly fits what we're gonna do.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:00:07 PM by mjdinkins »

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »

jr49

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
The thread i was referring to in my post... http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=5536.msg70462#msg70462
Thank you kjd. I enjoyed reading the thoughts of those here from back then. Enthusiasm for Gathers was high, but I guess all the talk focuses on the player we have yet to lock up. 

ras

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
KA is supposed to be a program changer,a 6'8 PG with excellent court vision. Whereas, Gathers provides muscle and rebounding ,complimenting our thinner wings.

crgreen

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
KA is supposed to be a program changer,a 6'8 PG with excellent court vision. Whereas, Gathers provides muscle and rebounding ,complimenting our thinner wings.

One is a player who could be dominant at the 4 position for SJU.  The other is a player who could be dominant at 4 POSITIONS for SJU. 

I'd want the 4 positions guy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:02:21 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
I put gathers in the previous thread but I think ive changed my opinion and would rather have KA which is no slight to Gathers
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »

One is a player who could be dominant at the 4 position for SJU.  The other is a player who could be dominant at 4 POSITIONS for SJU. 

We dont need a player to play 4 positions. We are in great shape at the 2 and 3 positions. We need players who can compliment our 2011 recruits, which they both do.

crgreen

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »

We dont need a player to play 4 positions. We are in great shape at the 2 and 3 positions. We need players who can compliment our 2011 recruits, which they both do.

Please don't take this wrong, but "we are in great shape and dont' need?" - shows a very youthful naivete.   Houston rockets set at the 5 so they reinforce the 4.   How'd that work in the real world when Yao went down?  My UCLA Bruins might have won 10 straight championships (and might never have heard of Texas Western vs. Ky), but mono wiped out 4 teammembers for half the season. 

Also "In great shape at the 2 and 3"  without a single player who's eve stepped foot on the court for St. Johns?  Without a kid ranked as a top 30 recruit coming in?  Versus the #2 (or possbily #1 by the time he gets to college) player in the country?

It's not that Anderson could play 4 positions.  It's that he could be ELITE at 4.  Unless it's for an Alcindor, Russell, Chamberlain or Walton, NEVER turn that down.  NEVER.

Gumby

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
Thankfully, we do not have to make a "pick one, either or" decision.  The Bayou Bull is with us now, and, hopefully, KA will be in 19 days.

I agree with you CR, KA is a program changer.  You need such a dominant player to make a good program, a great program. 

And yes, our incoming 9 recruits have not played a minute of college ball (I am discounting JC ball for this post.), but neither has KA.  However, I believe most of us feel that KA is something special, as is the Bayou Bull, and the guys joining Coach Lavin this year.

Both KA and the Bayou Bull will bring something different to our program.  And that is good!  We will have a well rounded, highly skilled team.   KA and the Bayou Bull will make major contributions to the future of Red Storm basketball.

Bring on 9/20!

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:05 AM »
Thankfully, we do not have to make a "pick one, either or" decision.  The Bayou Bull is with us now, and, hopefully, KA will be in 19 days.

I agree with you CR, KA is a program changer.  You need such a dominant player to make a good program, a great program. 

And yes, our incoming 9 recruits have not played a minute of college ball (I am discounting JC ball for this post.), but neither has KA.  However, I believe most of us feel that KA is something special, as is the Bayou Bull, and the guys joining Coach Lavin this year.

Both KA and the Bayou Bull will bring something different to our program.  And that is good!  We will have a well rounded, highly skilled team.   KA and the Bayou Bull will make major contributions to the future of Red Storm basketball.

Bring on 9/20!

Just meant that in the last 10 years, you can literally find hundreds of recruits ranked #30-#80 who had limited or no impact as frosh or sophs.   The percentage of #1 or #2 s who didn't is infinitisimal....Carmelo, Amare, Luol Deng, Lebron, Shaun Livingston, Dwight Howard, Monta Ellis, Josh McRoberts, Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Kevin Love, OJ Mayo, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holiday, John Wall, Derrik Favors, Kyrie Irving, Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes.    MAYBE you could claim McBob, but he's starting for the Pacers now, and as a Duke frosh was 9pts 5rebs 61% Fgs.   Also for Holiday, who had to play out of position as a frosh, but in what would have been his SOPH year, he was the starting PG for the 76rs...

The experts almost NEVER can screw up on those top 2 recruits.   

ras

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
Nobody is disputing KA is a special talent.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
Honestly I think it is in poor taste to start a thread about one of our recruits fighting a potential recruit but I will play along.
This would be a gigantic mismatch. From the pictures I have seen that Gathers kid is Diesel. Anderson would have to utilize his jab and stick and move but I do not know how long he would be able to keep Gathers off him. I say Gathers by KO in the 6th.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
Honestly I think it is in poor taste to start a thread about one of our recruits fighting a potential recruit but I will play along.
This would be a gigantic mismatch. From the pictures I have seen that Gathers kid is Diesel. Anderson would have to utilize his jab and stick and move but I do not know how long he would be able to keep Gathers off him. I say Gathers by KO in the 6th.

LOL  I don't think the OP didn't intend to pit them against one another.  At least, I believe that wasn't what he was attempting to do. 

Funny post, nonetheless. 

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »
Nobody is disputing KA is a special talent.
I called RG and KA the final pieces to completing the squad for deep runs.  It's almost done - KA is the last piece

kob24

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
not a fan of gathers. i hear he is a beast but is soooo undersized. and nothing is wrong with that he could still dominate but my vote is with "Mr. Anderson"( the guy from the matrix voice)

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
not a fan of gathers. i hear he is a beast but is soooo undersized. and nothing is wrong with that he could still dominate but my vote is with "Mr. Anderson"( the guy from the matrix voice)

He's about 6'7" 245.  He's powerful and has good agility, as well.  You're correct, as he is a "beast."   I believe he'll be fine.

I'm greedy, as I want both!

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
I think I lean towards the guy whose going to be around for 4 years

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »

Undersized or not, he seemed to do pretty well against Mr. Drummond.  Charles Barkley was undersized as well............  Gathers has a big heart and a big work ethic.  He is not cought up in big press conferences but seems content to get the job done on the court.  Cant wait to see him play.