« on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
http://twitter.com/#!/STJ_Basketball/status/109619992579936257

http://instagr.am/p/L7Yj6/

Did Lavin recruit Kobe back in the day?
Remember who broke the Slice news

mkras99

Re: Kobe Bryant on Campus!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
Cue 10,000 word post from Crgreen in 3, 2, 1...

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Maybe he was playing with the player formerly known as Ron Artest
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Damn, it would've been awesome if Kobe visited when Kyle Anderson was on his visit. I'm sure Lavin has some nice things planned though for next week.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Today is Johnny Thunderbirds 2nd birthday. Kobe is obviously just here for the celebration :D

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
Damn, it would've been awesome if Kobe visited when Kyle Anderson was on his visit. I'm sure Lavin has some nice things planned though for next week.

Wouldn't be allowed to interact anyways.

kob24

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET IN TROUBLE OOOOOOOOOO.

NYCoffey

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

Why would he not be allowed to interact if the visit was today? Kyle was hanging with a bunch of NBA players at UCLA. Not doubting you, but just curious what the rules are.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

Why would he not be allowed to interact if the visit was today? Kyle was hanging with a bunch of NBA players at UCLA. Not doubting you, but just curious what the rules are.

That is what I don't understand.  It was widely reported that Kyle was playing games at Pauley with the likes of Kevin Love and Carmelo Anthony.  Nobody seemed to have any issue publically mentioning this nor has there been any uproar.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:22:41 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »

That is what I don't understand.  It was widely reported that Kyle was playing games at Pauley with the likes of Kevin Love and Carmelo Anthony.  Nobody seemed to have any issue publically mentioning this nor has there been any uproar.

Video on it, as well, according to a Bruin board.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »

Don't get it.  Cal pulled some bs like that with Larry Brown a few years back.  I'm not sure of the exact extent of the rules, but this portion seems to prevent this type of contact.

Bylaws define a representative of an institution's athletic interests:  A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:13:49 PM by bball purist »

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »

Kobe was picking up an NBA paycheck before Steve Lavin became a head coach.    Hard to believe, but Kobe was drafted by Charlotte all the way back on June 26, 1996.  Traded to the Lakers, he signed his first contract in July that year.   Since he didnt't turn 18 till August 23, 1996, his folks had to cosign!.   

Steve Lavin didn't become the UCLA interim Head Coach until that  November 6th...

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

Kobe was picking up an NBA paycheck before Steve Lavin became a head coach.    Hard to believe, but Kobe was drafted by Charlotte all the way back on June 26, 1996.  Traded to the Lakers, he signed his first contract in July that year.   Since he didnt't turn 18 till August 23, 1996, his folks had to cosign!.   

Steve Lavin didn't become the UCLA interim Head Coach until that  November 6th...
cr once again with the solid nuggets...this time short and sweet - lol

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »

I would think that Harrick was recruiting Kobe and thus Lavin as well...Was it a foregone conclusion that Kobe was going pro?  Were colleges recruiting him anyway?

NYCoffey

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
So Kevin Lowe was not a representative of UCLA but Kobe Bryant(who has probably never been to Jamaica before) is a representative of St. Johns. Doesn't make any sense (Kyle wasn't here so I understand that we do not have to worry about the whole rule thing with Kobe). You're telling me that all those ex ucla players just happened to show up when Kyle is there by mistake, and have never been to a game that they hadn't paid for tickets and  that they never promoted the university.  And most importantly aren't boosters in any way. Kyle is going to go where he is going to go, and I hope its here, but it seems like that UCLA pick up game was a bit out of the rules of recruitment. That is if I'm reading the rules correctly.

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »

Don't get it.  Cal pulled some bs like that with Larry Brown a few years back.  I'm not sure of the exact extent of the rules, but this portion seems to prevent this type of contact.

Bylaws define a representative of an institution's athletic interests:  A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

So, pray tell, how does this apply to Kobe Bryant who is not an alum, a benefactor or even a fan of St. John's????

crgreen

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »

I would think that Harrick was recruiting Kobe and thus Lavin as well...Was it a foregone conclusion that Kobe was going pro?  Were colleges recruiting him anyway?

Well, I was TRYING not to be verbose...

Kobe was a lock for Duke and Coach K had he elected to go to college.   Any number of stories about that as they partnered for the gold last year.

As for Steve's recruting Kobe.  Hard to believe, but Steve wasn't really one of the recruiting assistants for the Bruins.   He might have been marginally involved, but Lornzo Romar and Mark Gottfried were the lead Harrick recruiting assistants, and when they left in '96, Michael Holton became Harrick's lead recruiting assistant.   Funny, as remarkable as he proved to be at it, had he BEEN lead recruiter, Steve might still be an assistant.  I don't believe Lavin as lead recruiting assistant would have allowed Harrick to make the mistake at the recruiting dinner for the Collins twins that eventually got Harrick fired.   But that's just personal opinion.

Always strikes me as funny how soon Bruin fans forgot.   Steve wasn't known as a recruiter - he was an Xs and Os coach for Harrick - in fact he was Harricks defensive coach, FULLY credited by Jim for developing and implementing the multiple switching defense the team employed in 1995 to win the National Championship.   THAT'S the criteria that got Steve named interim Head Coach when Harrick was replaced.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 01:38:51 AM »
Why was he there?

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 01:43:32 AM »
Guys playing pick up at UCLA is pretty norm. I think this was the message that Mark Fratto was trying to convey through the student news paper that this will be the norm because St. John's fans (of recent) aren't as used to this as other programs who are top 10 wins all time like St. John's.

However no matter how norm it may be for pro's, celebs, etc to be on campus their interaction with a potential student athlete could put the school at risk for a violation. I know St. John's is very conscience almost to an extreme about this kind of stuff (kudos to Norm Roberts for that seriously he did an awesome job of turning that around with academic support/compliance).

So it's better to be on the cautious side than to have a tweet blow up your spot for a violation.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »

Well, I was TRYING not to be verbose...

Kobe was a lock for Duke and Coach K had he elected to go to college.   Any number of stories about that as they partnered for the gold last year.

Nah.
Word was he was gonna join pops at LaSalle.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.