Big East schools commit to each other to remain together

• 54 replies
Big East schools commit to each other to remain together
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
The notable exception was UConn who's President didn't attend since they want to $@#$ some ACC @#$%, but a representative was sent anyway. Obviously verbal commitments don't mean much but at least this is positive news. Even with UConn gone, we can possibly add a school like Butler. Also there was an idea thrown around at the meetings to add some military academies to the Big East such as Army and Navy/Air Force.

edited by KJD for language
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:50:16 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Big East schools commit to each other to remain together
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:40:11 AM »
That first line sounds like it came from the mouth of high school punk. :down:

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »
It's a great sign that everybody else is on board.   Need to increase the exit fee to a huge amount and get 3 schools that fit the profile that want to be in this league for the long run.  IMO, with everybody else on board and Uconn not on board, I say Big East boots them out ASAP and we search for 3 new schools to replace.  Uconn will only be a cancer if we wait, and at least they are being up front about it.  I don't think there's any reason we should keep a dissenter around any longer.  Let them find another place to go.

I actually like the idea of Navy and Army or Air Force.  Maybe even all 3 because those all have different motivation than "super conference" nonsense.  They also all play solid football and have some great support and tradition. 

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of talkin wit no substance.

UConn and Rutgers is halfway out the door. The other schools gonna look at the B12.

Turrible if the BE tries to stay the way it is. We in the same place we was before. This model is not sustainable. Schools gonna be looking to go the next go around. Dont need this. Strike out on our own wit like-minded programs.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

dR3w

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »
Sounds like a lot of talk.  Have someone raise the proposition that you have to wait 5 years to leave the conference and pay $500 million dollars and watch who flinches.  They are the next ones out the door.  Schools are doing what is best for them financially.  The school's academic missions are secondary at best.  Oh yeah, and it other news, gravity is still at work today.

Gumby

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
Always look who is at the top of any organization.  We have a Commissioner who is clueless.  We have (had) the lead of the BE Executive Committee who ranks right up there with the biggest traitors in history (okay I am exaggerating some what here).  She had big influence on canceling the TV deal and us not moving forward to merge with other schools.

We need a shark to run the BE in these times.

I said a month or so ago, we need to be aggressive.  Go after schools for both what they would bring for FB and BB.

Throw out existing preconceived territorial ideas.  Remake the BE into something very special again, but this time for both FB and BB.  It can be done.

I would look very closely at some type of deal with the remaining Big 12 schools, which now includes Texas and Oklahoma, thanks to the Pac 12 staying the Pac 12.  If I could bring them in I would try to also bring in Penn State and ND (for FB).  What a football conference that would be.  The BB end of it would not be too shabby either.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »

UConn and Rutgers is halfway out the door. The other schools gonna look at the B12.

Turrible if the BE tries to stay the way it is. We in the same place we was before. This model is not sustainable. Schools gonna be looking to go the next go around. Dont need this. Strike out on our own wit like-minded programs.

The problem choz, is that there's not enough room for all these schools in the super conferences, and at a certain point they don't want more schools.  Uconn might want to go somewhere, but where?  The ACC doesn't want them and has no need for that market.  They already have BC.  Big 12 won't want them either.  We're getting closer and closer to a point where things are settling and these monster conferee are filling up with the schools they really want.  At some point the bball only schools and the lower tier football schools CAN coexist, because there is nowhere else for those programs to go.  It is still probably in the best interest of these football schools that are lower tier like the rest of the current big east and bihpg 12 to have a mega bball conference like we have now.  It's still a big market and lots of money to be made, as the remaining schools are in big bball markets.  We always have time to "settle" for a bball only, lower tier conference.  I still think we need to do the best we can to get like-minded schools in this conference that don't want to bolt and can't do so even if they want to.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
Always look who is at the top of any organization.  We have a Commissioner who is clueless.  We have (had) the lead of the BE Executive Committee who ranks right up there with the biggest traitors in history (okay I am exaggerating some what here).  She had big influence on canceling the TV deal and us not moving forward to merge with other schools.

We need a shark to run the BE in these times.

I said a month or so ago, we need to be aggressive.  Go after schools for both what they would bring for FB and BB.

Throw out existing preconceived territorial ideas.  Remake the BE into something very special again, but this time for both FB and BB.  It can be done.

I would look very closely at some type of deal with the remaining Big 12 schools, which now includes Texas and Oklahoma, thanks to the Pac 12 staying the Pac 12.  If I could bring them in I would try to also bring in Penn State and ND (for FB).  What a football conference that would be.  The BB end of it would not be too shabby either.

Why in the world would Penn state leave the big 10?

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
Anyway you look at it, Big East Basketball is finished. St Johns vs Army? Cmon man. East Caroolina,UCF,Air Force? Thats a ridiculous conference in a basketbal sense

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
Anyway you look at it, Big East Basketball is finished. St Johns vs Army? Cmon man. East Caroolina,UCF,Air Force? Thats a ridiculous conference in a basketbal sense

I think the service academies would be joining for football only.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »

I think the service academies would be joining for football only.

So what does the basketball conference look like? How many teams?

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
Is it really realistic that the big east would be able to add Kansas, Kansas St., Butler?

That would somewhat make up for the loss of Syracuse and Pitt, and maybe Uconn.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
Big East should just drop football altogether, focus on hoops

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »

The problem choz, is that there's not enough room for all these schools in the super conferences, and at a certain point they don't want more schools.  Uconn might want to go somewhere, but where?  The ACC doesn't want them and has no need for that market.  They already have BC.  Big 12 won't want them either.  We're getting closer and closer to a point where things are settling and these monster conferee are filling up with the schools they really want.  At some point the bball only schools and the lower tier football schools CAN coexist, because there is nowhere else for those programs to go.  It is still probably in the best interest of these football schools that are lower tier like the rest of the current big east and bihpg 12 to have a mega bball conference like we have now.  It's still a big market and lots of money to be made, as the remaining schools are in big bball markets.  We always have time to "settle" for a bball only, lower tier conference.  I still think we need to do the best we can to get like-minded schools in this conference that don't want to bolt and can't do so even if they want to.

Bre, 16 is the magic number. ACC is at 14. Big 12 is at 9 or 10 right now.

If it aint happenin today, it's gonna happen down the road and sooner than later. Football consolidation aint gonna stop. And we gonna go thru this again. Mark it down.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »
Looks like it isnt happening now, Pac-12 is saying it is staying at 12 teams and Big 10 is on the sidelines right now waiting to see what happens.  If Texas and Oklahoma do not go to the Pac 12 now and Big 12 survives, what is stopping TCU from being the 10th team in the conference?  They fit perfectly with both with football and geography.  I do agree though that even though it may not happen now, eventually it will happen and there will prob be 4 superconferences based purely on football and the leftovers in the big east and big 12 will look like the mountain west of the east with good basketball schools. 

It's an interesting spot for the Big East right now.  They preach they are together but that's only b/c they havent been accepted anywhere else or they would run. 

They have alot of questions to answer.  Do they split football from non-football schools?  Do you add lower level football schools like memphis, Temple, central florida or east carolina?  Do you wait for the Big 12 to inevitably collapse and then re-evaluate?

Good news is that they have time if this 27 month exit period is enforced. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:26:07 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »

Yeah, but there is continued uncertainty. And that messes wit recruits, etc.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »

Agreed, all of this is bad for us.  I was jsut talking from an evaluation period for the structure of the conference.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
screw FB schools the Big East was founded as a BB conference and it should be true to its roots and tradition.  BB was always the tradition of the league FB was an after thought and the only reason they got BCS eligible was because we were a powerhouse BB conference that had to be recognized.

To paraphrase Irish need not apply that my grandfather ran into:  Football need NOT apply (for entrance into the Big East)

ras

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »

I agree . I hate to say this but if you were an elite recruit and you were choosing between SJU and SU and you took into account the stability of SU and did not even know what conference SJU would be in ,you might just pick SU

Poison

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
The BE doesn't need more than 9 schools.
Gtown, Nova, SJ, WV, Depaul, Marquette, Hall, Louisville and ND.

Here's the crasiest idea of all: everyone plays everyone twice.