should Pelle and Garrett sit out this year?

• 31 replies
should Pelle and Garrett sit out this year?
« on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
What are the chances that Pelle and Garrett sit out the entire year? They could still enroll in the spring, just not join the team yet. This could help them get ahead academically, and then come next year they would still have 4 years of eligibility left.  Yes, they are expected to be back December 21st (I think that is the date), but when will they actually be ready to play and ready to make a contribution? If they officially join the team on the 21st, it will probably be at least another week or two before they know the plays and are in game shape. It would be very difficult to join a team, and then four days later play in a game. And I think that there will be an adjustment period of getting used to college itself that could affect them, which could take some time itself.

Both seem to be firmly committed to St. Johns, and if they enroll in the spring regardless, will almost be guaranteed to be back. It would also help the staff break up the scholarship distribution a little bit, so that in four years, we don't need to bring in another 9 person recruiting class.

Also, is there any way they could be redshirted?  I don't know the exact reasons why you are granted a redshirt, but is that a possibility at all?

What do you guys think about just having them sit out the entire year and starting fresh next year?  It would suck to lose a whole year of eligibility for a little over 2 months of basketball.

Re: should Pelle and Garrett sit out this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
Pelle seems firmly committed?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
If we get one of the three back by next year I would consider us lucky. Obviously Pelle would be key but it looks like that ship has sailed. We won't be good this season but it will still be interesting to watch Lindsey, Harrison, Pointer and Harkless. Honestly if I had to bet I don't think any of the three kids ever play a minute here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:29:07 PM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
If they sit out the entire year, we'll win 12 games

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
If they sit out the entire year, we'll win 12 games

Obviously it would be better if they were able to play. But despite what some delusional posters thought, this season was not going to be about wins and losses anyway. The real bad part about this is we will be so small and with no depth that Lavin will have to play a slow down type of game and 100% zone. The style these kids are going to play this season is probably not going to be the style Lavin envisions for the future.

ras

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
I believe we will see Garritt as a Johnny. Hopefully he will qualify in Dec. We could use another quality player this year.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of the post....

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »

Pretty sure I wuz just questionin something you stated, son:

"Both seem to be firmly committed to St. Johns,"

Nowhere have I seen Norvel say anytin bout his future bein at St. John. Care to enlighten? Or do I need a monocle and top hat to understand you and yo post?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
I believe we will see Garritt as a Johnny. Hopefully he will qualify in Dec. We could use another quality player this year.

We could another 5. What happens if 2 guys get hurt? Our last class was made of glass.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »

Nowhere have I seen Norvel say anytin bout his future bein at St. John. Care to enlighten? Or do I need a monocle and top hat to understand you and yo post?

Listen old man. I am pretty sure you need either some grammar lessons or you need to learn to use a spell check.  That post made you look very unintelligent.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »
^u mad bro?

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »

Listen old man. I am pretty sure you need either some grammar lessons or you need to learn to use a spell check.  That post made you look very unintelligent.
It doesn't make choz look unintelligent.  Choz spices up his replies to entertain.  But to state Norvel "seems firmly committed to St. John's" is not necessarily unintelligent, but totally speculative (unless you know for a fact something more) as Norvel has laid low and not said a peep about anything regarding his coming back, etc, while Amir came out emphatically and seems firmly committed.  That being said, as firm as Amir is, he knows he needs to hit the books hard to back up his admirable affirmation.

So let Choz do his thing, all the while remembering we're on the same team.  No smart arse responses appreciated or necessary. 

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »

e

Listen oewqld man. I am pretty sure you need either some grammar lessons or you need to learn to use a spell check.  That post made you look very unintelligent.
you r an f n clown

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »

e

Listen oewqld man. I am pretty sure you need either some grammar lessons or you need to learn to use a spell check.  That post made you look very unintelligent.
you r an f n clown
I studied digital sig xmission in grad school - I think I decrypted your code! lol

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
U did.. now only if we can get these jerkoffs to not post we would be all set

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Jumbo this isn't your first run in with a member of the community. Respect the opinions of others, don't lash out, and keep your focus on the topic you started.

Choz is a very valuable member of the community here and brings great wisdom and insight into a lot of things.

Anyways back to the topic... Ideally St. John's would like to get bodies back as soon as possible. If they could have got these guys in they would but they didn't. Derwin Kitchen wanted to be a Johnny probably more so than Amir Garrett does but he was never able to. It might happen here who knows?

As for Pelle, his reputation is that he doesn't have much focus for anything. So to say he is "firmly committed" is very questionable. He's very talented but he needs to learn how to channel that and reach his potential.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »
U did.. now only if we can get these jerkoffs to not post we would be all set

Necessary?

C'mon. No need for that.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »
Dave u run a great site and u know that was necessary..  what that guy posted was embarrassing..will try to tone it down

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Dave u run a great site and u know that was necessary..  what that guy posted was embarrassing..will try to tone it down

It wasn't necessary. Two wrongs don't make a right. Leave the discipline up to myself, I'm very accessible if you or anyone thinks there is a problem.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:13 PM »

It wasn't necessary. Two wrongs don't make a right. Leave the discipline up to myself, I'm very accessible if you or anyone thinks there is a problem.

:knuppel2:
Remember who broke the Slice news