St johns will be just fine

• 18 replies
St johns will be just fine
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
I normally cruise thru message boards all around the nation.  Johnny Jungle is one of the better boards, as the fans are well informed and have a good understanding of what's needed to get done to put st johns basketball back on the national landscape.  Securing nine or ten players wasnt goin to be a hard thing for coach lavin, as stjohns put together such a strong staff featuring top recruiters and former nba personnel.  That wasnt the issue, the issue was putting together nine or ten guys who could compete at the highest level and represent the school as mature freshmen on and off the court.  No headaches, no issues, and of course it didnt happen..

St johns like Kansas, TCU, and others didnt have kids clear thru the ncaa based off academics.  Not really speaking from where some people on here think its a mentors/aau/adivors/college coaches fault. Fact is, most of the problem comes from the players themselves.  The problem i've seen in basketball throughout the years is a majority of d1 football and basketball athletes started out unknown.  Which means they arent on anybody's radar, nobody is stressing to them the importance of taking the "right classes" to qualify and every class counts.

Its a little harder to explain since im so close to these type of situations on a daily basis. I know of a kid who i recently been told he's a junior who needs 14core classes and he has a B average! I think coach lavin and his staff are doing a great job with last years squad and they will continue with this years squad. In the end, one team will win a championship every season... Oneday it soon it will be st johns and alot of people hate that, but know its a fact.  There are always bumps on the road to success.   This isnt as much as a pothole as you may think.

Im a fan just like you guys, St johns is americas most hated, just because they see the direction of the program.  So what if a kid decommitts or doesnt qualify, its going to happen. Im looking forward to the first day of practice and this season.  Like a guy said to me two days ago, you cant tell this staff that has 8 guys they arent going to get into the ncaa's... Those are the type of people you want representing your school, when they step inside a kids home.

I hope you guys enjoy the season, and i look forward to seeing all the players progress and taking it day by day.

Re: St johns will be just fine
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Great job Nate.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
Nate's the Man who knows the Plan

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
*I meant this staff has 8 scholarship players, and believe they will go to the ncaa tournament. 

Poison

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »
Realscout, I appreciate your positive attitude.

You said that we have 8 players. I only count 7.

Stith, Nuri, Harrison, Pointer, Harkless, Greene and Gift.
Who else is there?

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
Jamal White was given a scholarship.

Transfer from LIU was on the roster last year as a walk on I believe.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Jamal White was given a scholarship.

Transfer from LIU was on the roster last year as a walk on I believe.
correct

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
Realscout, I appreciate your positive attitude.

You said that we have 8 players. I only count 7.

Stith, Nuri, Harrison, Pointer, Harkless, Greene and Gift.
Who else is there?

Jamal White who would have been a scholarship player regardless of the ineligibility.

Nate, your words of wisdom do a lot for the fans and alumni, we (and I am sure the staff) are snakebit right now, once practice starts and we get our next recruit, we will get over it to some extent, however right now people dwell on the negative and they have the right to do so as it was the worst week in the past 1 1/2 years after so much positives.

Hoping Jakarr has a change of heart and sticks by his "brothers" on the team and that Amir qualifies in December and Norvel decides we are the best fit for him and he concentrates on his studies. The senios last year put us on the map again, this freshman class will lay the groundwork for college supremacy for St Johns which we have never sustained for a long period of time.

I agree this is a bump in the road.       

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »

Best post, other than possibly the "where's my tee shirt thread" I have read in a few weeks!!!

Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

Best post, other than possibly the "where's my tee shirt thread" I have read in a few weeks!!!

Thanks!
You mean "where's my *Schmedium* tee shirt?"   ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
Agree 100% although I wasn't aware we were such a hated team. Anyways this an all star staff with a group of very young yet talented players with more talented players on the way. Rome wasn't built in a day.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
Stating that St J will one day soon win a championship is an opinion not a fact, unfortunately.  :(

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
Definitely nice seeing nate blue posting here. Was rocking with since the original real scout site way back...dam thats is like 10+years... I wanted to be the LI real scout...

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 08:27:55 PM »
Definitely nice seeing nate blue posting here. Was rocking with since the original real scout site way back...dam thats is like 10+years... I wanted to be the LI real scout...

Yeah it is nice seeing Nate Blue posting here and supporting St. John's...We appreciate all the help, Nate! 

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
Thanks Nate...we needed that.  What a bad week....

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:57 PM »

Im a fan just like you guys, St johns is americas most hated, just because they see the direction of the program.

Damn I thought Iona was Americas most hated team ( well at least Johnnnyjunlge's most hated team )

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »

Im a fan just like you guys, St johns is americas most hated, just because they see the direction of the program.

Damn I thought Iona was Americas most hated team ( well at least Johnnnyjunlge's most hated team )

The team's fine. The fans are tools.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »

There are no liny's in New Rochelle

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

There are no liny's in New Rochelle
"Tiny Liny" is a JJ sensation, permeating the board threads - he's gone viral I tell you, viral!"  Cue in "28 Days" themed music....