Most Underrated Player - Nasir Robinson
Newcomer of the Year - Andre Drummond

Re: Athlons All Big East teams
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
no Vincent Council or Cleveland Melvin?

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
No brandon trich as well. I guess theres only so much room
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
Gates first has to grow up.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
  Not that impressive compared to years past.  A down year for the Big East this year?  How many legit pros do you see in this group? 

crgreen

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:20 AM »
First Team

Yancy Gates
Ashton Gibbs-POY
Kris Joseph
Jeremy Lamb
Peyton Siva

2nd Team

Tim Abromaitis
Scoop Jardine
Darius Johnson-Odom
Kevin Jones
Alex Oriakhi

3rd Team

Jae Crowder
Augustus Gilchrist
Dane Miller
Herb Pope
Maalik Wayns

Best Defensive Player - James Bell

My guess is 6 months from now that list looks ridiculous :)

C'mon.  SJU replaces it's ENTIRE TEAM with newcomers - meaning it's likely 5 or 6 newcomers are going to play  AT LEAST 28 minutes a game for SJU (we've got a 7 man rotation - 200 minutes in a game divided by 7 is 28 minutes - and I don't really think Malik will  get a full 28).    I know how good Drummond is supposed bo be, but I really can't see anyway POSSIBLE the conference newcomer of the year isn't a Johnnie  :)

Moose

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
First Team

Yancy Gates
Ashton Gibbs-POY
Kris Joseph
Jeremy Lamb
Peyton Siva

2nd Team

Tim Abromaitis
Scoop Jardine
Darius Johnson-Odom
Kevin Jones
Alex Oriakhi

3rd Team

Jae Crowder
Augustus Gilchrist
Dane Miller
Herb Pope
Maalik Wayns

Best Defensive Player - James Bell

My guess is 6 months from now that list looks ridiculous :)

C'mon.  SJU replaces it's ENTIRE TEAM with newcomers - meaning it's likely 5 or 6 newcomers are going to play  AT LEAST 28 minutes a game for SJU (we've got a 7 man rotation - 200 minutes in a game divided by 7 is 28 minutes - and I don't really think Malik will  get a full 28).    I know how good Drummond is supposed bo be, but I really can't see anyway POSSIBLE the conference newcomer of the year isn't a Johnnie  :)

I can see plenty of possible ways the newcomer of the yr WON'T be a Johnnie. It's pretty easy if you allow realism to come into play.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
I can see plenty of possible ways the newcomer of the yr WON'T be a Johnnie. It's pretty easy if you allow realism to come into play.

I agree, but Nurideen Lindsey.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »

I hope thats the case fun.  Just Drummond has the PR machine of being Andre Drummond already behind him.

crgreen

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »

I hope thats the case fun.  Just Drummond has the PR machine of being Andre Drummond already behind him.

Hope it's not the John Henson PR machine.    Did a heckuva lot of good for THAT 6'10 consensus Lottery Pick out of high school for HIS frosh year.  Henson, who IS projected as a lotto when he comes out next year after his JUNIOR season was all of 5 pts and 3 rebs on the 2nd worst UNC team in two decades as a frosh.   

Sorry Moose.  Im just not convinced yet that Drummond/Oriakhi  is going to be a smoother splicing than Henson/Deon Thompson was.  If they'd come along together I'd have taken Al Horford over Drummond - and it took Horford and Noah (a much more versatile and talented player than Oriakhi) more than a year to put it together (Al was 5pts 6 rebs as a frosh, Noah 3pts 2 rebs).   

It's about Playing Time and opportunities.   Drummond COULD be the next comming of Beasley or Durant (as college frosh), but there's also a chance he's a 20 minute guy splitting time with bigs already on the roster as a frosh.   Our guys are talented, and GUARANTEED 30 minutes a game, and there's no Lambs or Oriakhis or well, you get it.   Heck - there's a chance Deandre Daniels ends up getting the most minutes of the UConn frosh (altho, really, how good is he without Phil Greene?)  :)

Moose

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »

Hope it's not the John Henson PR machine.    Did a heckuva lot of good for THAT 6'10 consensus Lottery Pick out of high school for HIS frosh year.  Henson, who IS projected as a lotto when he comes out next year after his JUNIOR season was all of 5 pts and 3 rebs on the 2nd worst UNC team in two decades as a frosh.   

Sorry Moose.  Im just not convinced yet that Drummond/Oriakhi  is going to be a smoother splicing than Henson/Deon Thompson was.  If they'd come along together I'd have taken Al Horford over Drummond - and it took Horford and Noah (a much more versatile and talented player than Oriakhi) more than a year to put it together (Al was 5pts 6 rebs as a frosh, Noah 3pts 2 rebs).   

It's about Playing Time and opportunities.   Drummond COULD be the next comming of Beasley or Durant (as college frosh), but there's also a chance he's a 20 minute guy splitting time with bigs already on the roster as a frosh.   Our guys are talented, and GUARANTEED 30 minutes a game, and there's no Lambs or Oriakhis or well, you get it.   Heck - there's a chance Deandre Daniels ends up getting the most minutes of the UConn frosh (altho, really, how good is he without Phil Greene?)  :)

Henson was nowhere near physically ready to compete in college.  He was a boy.  Drummond is a man.

And I'm thought I read something that Daniels never played at IMG.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
Phil Greene is hella smoove.

'Least thats what I been told.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:06:25 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

He seems to be getting a lot of chatter.  Lavin called Hardy and JB32 last year and was right.  No question the weapons we have at 1, 2 and 3 are sick.  Moe will have to play some 4 and is no doubt one of the most fundamentally sound players we have ever seen come to STJ.  The question is how the frontcourt stays on the floor and out of injuries and foul trouble.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »

He seems to be getting a lot of chatter.  Lavin called Hardy and JB32 last year and was right.  No question the weapons we have at 1, 2 and 3 are sick.  Moe will have to play some 4 and is no doubt one of the most fundamentally sound players we have ever seen come to STJ.  The question is how the frontcourt stays on the floor and out of injuries and foul trouble.

My guess is that Mo starts at the four with poor Dom subbing at the four and five unless we have a 6'9 walkon that can play.  I'll say this about St. John's, we have the best basketball players in the country not on a roster. 

Missere and his brother Pete were both 6'7+ and walked the campus for a year before trying out.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »

I'll say this about St. John's, we have the best basketball players in the country not on a roster. 

What does that mean?

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »

I'll say this about St. John's, we have the best basketball players in the country not on a roster. 

What does that mean?

A sloppy way of saying we have great ballers in our student body. 

Moose

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »

What does that mean?

I know the rep has been a lot of students 'think' they are good players.  But if they are so good why aren't they playing among the what 1000 or so D1, 2 or 3 schools?

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

What does that mean?

I know the rep has been a lot of students 'think' they are good players.  But if they are so good why aren't they playing among the what 1000 or so D1, 2 or 3 schools?

Same thing could be said about every other single D-1 school, no?  Maybe I am biased because I knew a lot of these kids before they made the St. John's team.  Both Misseres could really ball, and Phil stood toe to toe with legit, high-major athlete and is making six-figures professionally. He didn't even make it as a walkon as a freshman or soph.  We had a kid under Norm that didn't make the team as a walkon that went to become the JUCO D-3 PLAYER OF THE YEAR. 

Moose

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »

What does that mean?

Same thing could be said about every other single D-1 school, no?  Maybe I am biased because I knew a lot of these kids before they made the St. John's team.  Both Misseres could really ball, and Phil stood toe to toe with legit, high-major athlete and is making six-figures professionally. He didn't even make it as a walkon as a freshman or soph.  We had a kid under Norm that didn't make the team as a walkon that went to become the JUCO D-3 PLAYER OF THE YEAR. 

Name on the D3 kid?

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
BJ McDowell