bearcatlair.com reporting that big 12 is close to poaching some big east schools

• 67 replies

Moose

Yes.

Aside from mens basketball, The non revenue sports at the 7 big east schools which would remain (assuming UConn and Rutgers were also to leave) - SJU, GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette - would be in general inferior to what the newly formed Big 12 would offer. 

Sorry but I'm skeptical about anything that hasn't hit the press especially when its involving this 800lb gorilla of college football alliance.  We've seen so much mis information of who's getting invites and who isn't.

Notre Dame wanted a home so it could fill out a schedule and make easy travel since again were talking about non revenue sports.  Each school offers solid programs in certain sports.  We will see if your source is right because if there was any time for them to join non football wise its now.  But again all signs point to them only being wanted if football is involved.
Remember who broke the Slice news

wpc77

Fair enough, take it for what it's worth

Well, it's only something which would be considered if something like the report on bearcatlair.com comes to fruition.  If not, then, as you rightly pointed out, ND already passed last year on this option - if the Big 12 is the same (actually worse since it lost T A&M), it certainly won't result in ND moving now.

LJSA

If it happens, I'd want to add as many quality teams as possible as quickly as we can -- and then take a vote to throw Rutgers and UConn out and watch them scramble for a conference if none of the new superconferences want them.

Moose

If it happens, I'd want to add as many quality teams as possible as quickly as we can -- and then take a vote to throw Rutgers and UConn out and watch them scramble for a conference if none of the new superconferences want them.

What teams are you envisioning?

TONYD3

We have a good baseball team, a decent lacrosse team, and a great soccer team. Forget this catholic only conference. We should beg, plead, or what ever we have to to get into the acc. We would stay big time. And acc would really get the NYC market. The new acc championship at the garden  would be even better then in it is now. this is my hope, probably not realistic. I don't understand how rutgers is more marketable then we are. They have football but no one cares about it.

Not wild about U Mass they want to upgrade football. Seems that they want to follow in steps of U Conn.

Yes after about 10 yrs they have finally made some moves.  But that was with the current NCAA model in mind.  Does that change now with the superconferences.

What leads you to believe that these moves were made with current NCCA model in mind and do you believe the superconferences changes this. And if so Why?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:06:35 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Moose

Not wild about U Mass they want to upgrade football. Seems that they want to follow in steps of U Conn.

Yes after about 10 yrs they have finally made some moves.  But that was with the current NCAA model in mind.  Does that change now with the superconferences.

What leads you to believe that these moves were made with current NCCA model in mind and do you believe the superconferences changes this. And if so Why?

Umass knows full well they wont be part of the ACC, SEC, Pac 12 or Big 10.  And even won't be part of any new Big 12/Big East combined conference.  The first 4 conferences will comprise of 64 teams likely and they are nowhere close to being among the top 64 teams in D1 when they havent even played a game.  Plus the ACC doesn't need them as they have the BOS market covered with BC.  Schools like Umass and Charlotte are too late to the party.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:07:05 PM by jumpinjohnny »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
I live in San Antonio and I haven't any rumors about Notre Dame moving to the Big 12. Also why would they want to deal with the arrogance of UT with their Long Horn network ( I like them by the way). I think the Irish would prefer to stay in the BE and their football team stay independent. Having an independent football team and a Basketball team play in MSG is a pretty good deal for them. The frustrating part is the hurry up and wait. The basketball schools cannot be too aggressive because they need the Big East name, but on the other hand we don't want sit on our ass and then get booted. The good news is that we do have a solid corp of basketball schools in big cities. A basketball only conference will bring in less money, but basketball is a lot cheaper then football and the north east cares more about basketball more then football. The BE commissioner is not giving one a warm and fuzzy and that is also frustrating.
Cougar O' Malley

I live in San Antonio and I haven't any rumors about Notre Dame moving to the Big 12. Also why would they want to deal with the arrogance of UT with their Long Horn network ( I like them by the way). I think the Irish would prefer to stay in the BE and their football team stay independent. Having an independent football team and a Basketball team play in MSG is a pretty good deal for them. The frustrating part is the hurry up and wait. The basketball schools cannot be too aggressive because they need the Big East name, but on the other hand we don't want sit on our ass and then get booted. The good news is that we do have a solid corp of basketball schools in big cities. A basketball only conference will bring in less money, but basketball is a lot cheaper then football and the north east cares more about basketball more then football. The BE commissioner is not giving one a warm and fuzzy and that is also frustrating.

As my grams would say: This here is wisdom.

I give it a +1
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

ras

Whats the word in Texas about the big 12 poaching the BE? If so what teams are mentioned?

Bad.

Why?  These schools are not breaking from the NCAA.  Get rid of the football dead weight and bring back a basketball focused conference with all the big media markets.  With all the conferences forming TV networks ESPN will want us.  I'm liking it.  I wish it would just be over and we move on.  Not the service academies.  Not Kansas, Baylor and Central Florida.  Call up Butler, Xavier, Dayton and someone else and you have a 12 team conference.  You can even be agressive and go 14 but within reason.  You must expand a bit west for that.

this conference exists already.  it's called the atlantic 10

LJSA

What teams are you envisioning?

Definitely Xavier. Definitely Temple for all but football. I'd see if Memphis had any desire to join the MAC for football only to even out the imbalance cause by Temple football playing there, and play all other sports in the Big East. I'd see if BYU wanted to switch from the WCC for its non-football sports. I'd probably inquire about Richmond, Butler, VCU, or ODU.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Light disscusion about TCU, but the real issue us just keeping the B12 together, and eventual expansion, but nothing in particular yet...UT wants to keep the Longhorn network, despite the fact that it has caused so many damn issues/ the A10 also doesn't St. John's, Georgetown, Notre Dame, and others, as well as the tournament at MSG. It will be interesting to see where the Big East goes, but the only good thing about bringing in Army and Navy, is the Army-Navy game.
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

Bad.

Why?  These schools are not breaking from the NCAA.  Get rid of the football dead weight and bring back a basketball focused conference with all the big media markets.  With all the conferences forming TV networks ESPN will want us.  I'm liking it.  I wish it would just be over and we move on.  Not the service academies.  Not Kansas, Baylor and Central Florida.  Call up Butler, Xavier, Dayton and someone else and you have a 12 team conference.  You can even be agressive and go 14 but within reason.  You must expand a bit west for that.

this conference exists already.  it's called the atlantic 10

Sure thing

Marillac

Gonzaga!!!!  It is the only real statement a bball only school can make.

wpc77

nudginator59 - for third time, ND was offered as a non-football member, and would consider it again on that basis if the Big 12 poached several of the aforementioned big east schools.  I said nothing about them joining for football.

Moose

nudginator59 - for third time, ND was offered as a non-football member, and would consider it again on that basis if the Big 12 poached several of the aforementioned big east schools.  I said nothing about them joining for football.

To be fair your stating something that was told to you and you only a year ago and there has been nothing public.  Thats why ppl might be scanning over it.

redslope

Enough.  I am sick and tired of the basketball schools saying/doing nothing.  they should band together, force a vote to fire the conference commissioner and bring in someone who will represent their interests instead of kissing the butts of the FB schools.  Let the FB schools figure out their own destiny.  tell them that BB comes first and foremost in the conference and our survival is the prime motive.

to the presidents of the BB schools, I say man up and show some basketballs!

Yes.

Aside from mens basketball, The non revenue sports at the 7 big east schools which would remain (assuming UConn and Rutgers were also to leave) - SJU, GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette - would be in general inferior to what the newly formed Big 12 would offer.
If that is the way it ends up you can forget the big time recruits we are targeting now.  Why play in a severely watered down Big East when you can play in one of the major 4 power conferences? 

Marillac

I wonder if the ACC would take a trio of st. Johns nova and Gtown with, say, Uconn?  It would be complete basketball domination and the tv deal with NYC PHilly and DC would be mind-boggling.  It would bring ball to 18 teams and chalk to 15.  Screw Rutgers.