bearcatlair.com reporting that big 12 is close to poaching some big east schools

• 67 replies

SJUFAN

Yes.

Aside from mens basketball, The non revenue sports at the 7 big east schools which would remain (assuming UConn and Rutgers were also to leave) - SJU, GTown, Nova, Providence, Hall, DePaul, Marquette - would be in general inferior to what the newly formed Big 12 would offer.
If that is the way it ends up you can forget the big time recruits we are targeting now.  Why play in a severely watered down Big East when you can play in one of the major 4 power conferences?

Lavin and company. Doesn't matter the conference, as long as there is a quality coach that can develop their game which could prepare them for the next level, then there will be players. 

ras

Things seem a little better after the BE meeting today, no word of defections and talk of stability. Time will tell.

A source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the Big East did not issue any invitations Sunday. The source said a number of schools were discussed, including Navy, Army, Air Force, Temple, Central Florida and a new name in SMU, which would be a natural rival with TCU if the Horned Frogs honor the commitment to join the conference in 2012-13. All of these schools except Army and Navy would join the Big East for all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7051020/presidents-chancellors-give-commissioner-ok-expand-big-east-conference
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Connecticut still would rather be in the ACC than stay in the Big East if given the choice, a source said. But the Huskies' administration expect that the ACC is in no rush to expand beyond 14 after adding Pitt and Syracuse. The Huskies are prepared for this to drag on for quite some time.

Swofford has said he is comfortable at 14, but not philosophically against 16. The ACC would likely want to add Notre Dame and then Connecticut as a 16th school if it were to add two more schools. But Notre Dame continues to maintain its desire to be an independent in football and keep all its other sports in the Big East.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7051020/presidents-chancellors-give-commissioner-ok-expand-big-east-conference

Here we go again...the latest...

A Missouri move would mean the Big 12 is likely to add at least two teams and that could put the Big East on guard again. That conference has already had two members -- Pittsburgh and Syracuse -- poached by the Atlantic Coast Conference and is trying to recruit new members.

If the Big 12 wanted to stretch farther east, Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia of the Big East could be targets. There has also been speculation that the Big 12 could pursue BYU, TCU, SMU, and Houston.

One Big East coach feared the worst, telling ESPN.com via text message, "the big east is finished."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7060457/missouri-tigers-curators-vote-consider-leaving-big-12

LJSA

One Big East coach feared the worst, telling ESPN.com via text message, "the big east is finished."

Not exactly. Just Big East football is finished. There will always be a basketball conference named the Big East.

Is anyone else looking forward to those thrilling basketball games vs Army, Navy or Air Force? (sarcasm intended).  Adding the service academies is a last gasp attempt at staying relevent in football. It does nothing for us in the other sports.

As the old saying goes: Army....First in war, first in peace, last on the basketball court...

redslope

Is anyone else looking forward to those thrilling basketball games vs Army, Navy or Air Force? (sarcasm intended).  Adding the service academies is a last gasp attempt at staying relevent in football. It does nothing for us in the other sports.

As the old saying goes: Army....First in war, first in peace, last on the basketball court...

the service academies would be for football only.  they would not want to play in BE for BB as they would stay with the patriot league where they can be competitive.  It tells you about the level of BE football as the service academies feel they COULD BE competitive with the FB programs in the BE.  BE football is not relevant and never will be.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:10:17 AM by redslope »

The New Big East 12 team Non football Conference

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:39:51 AM by Red2395 »

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Way it ought to be.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Way it ought to be.

I would really like Memphis to be included.  Their BB fanbase is terrific.  I don't think they would ever give football priority over basketball.

Moose

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Been saying it forever. Sign me up
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

One of our biggest draws as a school is that we play in NYC at the Garden against the best teams in the country. The goal was to get more Garden games. Which in turn would give us more hype. which would help us recruit great players. Which would give us a chance to win a national championship.
The next Maurice Harkless is not coming to STJ to play Dayton on ESPN 3. The bandwagon fans (my Friends) who last year spent 65 dollars to watch us beat PITT won't be coming to the Garden either for that event. Players want to be big time. Fans who read JJ and and redmen everyday will still care. I just cant see how we stay revealant in NYC and nationally if we leave the big time teams.

MCNPA

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Been saying it forever. Sign me up

It looks like it's going to be this way, in a conference for all sports.  I'd still add a Memphis and maybe   Umass has poor fan support right now, but if they hire right and sink dollars into the program ala Uconn, they have the potential to be pretty good down the line..  There's strength in numbers.  These schools are going to have to make a commitment to really pump money into their basketball programs though and treat them like the football schools are treating their football programs.  All schools have to ante up and hire top notch coaches and really compete for tv dollars on the basketball side of things.  I wanted to see us  hanging with the football schools but it doesn't look like it will ever happen. 

Need to let all these teams defect and pay us their exit fees and keep the big east name. 

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

This is my ideal situation as well.
Memphis would also be in the mix.

Garden games would be Nova, Gtown, ND, Marquette(50/50), and possibily a couple others depending on sucess(xavier,Butler,Temple)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

One of our biggest draws as a school is that we play in NYC at the Garden against the best teams in the country. The goal was to get more Garden games. Which in turn would give us more hype. which would help us recruit great players. Which would give us a chance to win a national championship.
The next Maurice Harkless is not coming to STJ to play Dayton on ESPN 3. The bandwagon fans (my Friends) who last year spent 65 dollars to watch us beat PITT won't be coming to the Garden either for that event. Players want to be big time. Fans who read JJ and and redmen everyday will still care. I just cant see how we stay revealant in NYC and nationally if we leave the big time teams.

I agree. Great post.

They key would be scheduling high profile out of conference teams to games in MSG, UNC, KY etc. Problem is these schools in the power conferences might be scheduling less OOC games because the conference schedule is expanding and there are so many in season tournaments now with great competition, you can go to Maui or Orlando and play 3-4 games against real good competition. So it's not as easy as in the past.

Moose

Is Boise St relevant in football nationwide?  Do they play is a BCS conference?  Do they play in the media capital of the world in MSG (Granted they do play on a blue field) :)

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Why Dayton & Butler ?
Dont need to go to 12 to have a strong conference.
Molloy '71

The next Maurice Harkless is not coming to STJ to play Dayton on ESPN 3.

Xavier got itself the #20 class in the nation so far.

Temple on the verge of getting Daniel Dingle over BE schools after getting Quentin DeCosey last week.

Both play Dayton. Two time a year.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

St John's
Seton Hall
Providence
G Town
Villanova
Depaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Temple
Xaiver
Dayton
Butler

Why Dayton & Butler ?
Dont need to go to 12 to have a strong conference.

12 is a solid number.  Covers yourself in case some teams hit down periods.  I'd even consider 14 in the superconference era provided your adding quality not just quantity.  The names in addition to the 8 we currently have we should consider are:

Xavier
Butler
Dayton
Richmond
Umass (if they bounce football)
BU
Mason
St. Louis
VCU
ODU
Oakland (ok I'm reaching but Michigan DMA is nice)

I'd even entertain some Western teams to split the conference 7/7
Gonzaga (dont see them abadoning their conference brothers
BYU (if they want to stay independent in football)