Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th

• 125 replies
Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
I'm confused...does this take PLACE on the 14th, or are tickets sold the 14th? How can you sell tickets and have an event the same day?

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:49 PM »
I'm confused...does this take PLACE on the 14th, or are tickets sold the 14th? How can you sell tickets and have an event the same day?

The tickets are free.  The went on sale last year some time around 2 o'clock and then gates opened at 7.  It was not close to a sell-out last year, might be different this year.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »

The tickets are free.  The went on sale last year some time around 2 o'clock and then gates opened at 7.  It was not close to a sell-out last year, might be different this year.

Not crazy with how this event is handled.  Puts non students at a disadvantage.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »
This is supposed to be for students. Hopefully, it's not the last basketball related event they attend

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 03:10:55 AM »
@ Moose...why are you surprised? St. John's is a college. It's for college students. Sure there are alumni and just regular fans, but the students will always get the best offers obviously.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
@ Moose...why are you surprised? St. John's is a college. It's for college students. Sure there are alumni and just regular fans, but the students will always get the best offers obviously.

Exactly!  Moose just gets oversensitive...and I am allowed to say that only because marillac and moose knew each other as students at STJ.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
Students should have priority. It's a party atmosphere for them.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »

Exactly!  Moose just gets oversensitive...and I am allowed to say that only because marillac and moose knew each other as students at STJ.
Special privileges heh? :)

Moose

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »

Haha love ya Marillac :)

I know its a college event but I'm also a businessman who feels that over the years season ticket holders in all sports to be honest, not just STJ basketball have been getting the shaft by this newfound desire for teams/schools to get the most they can out of secondary offers and such to fill the seats.  If a fan is willing to pony up money up front before a ball is tipped they should also be fully considered.  For years I ponied up money up front to watch better offers with better seats be marketed thru the season.

I would handle this event by providing season ticket holders the same number of tickets to the event that they have and then have it first come first serve for students for the remaining number.  I mean while our attendance jumped over 30% last year we still aren't at the point of busting from the seams.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
who is vado?
whom is celtics11?
rumors say they may be the one and the same.....

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

I know its a college event but I'm also a businessman who feels that over the years season ticket holders in all sports to be honest, not just STJ basketball have been getting the shaft by this newfound desire for teams/schools to get the most they can out of secondary offers and such to fill the seats.  If a fan is willing to pony up money up front before a ball is tipped they should also be fully considered.  For years I ponied up money up front to watch better offers with better seats be marketed thru the season.

I would handle this event by providing season ticket holders the same number of tickets to the event that they have and then have it first come first serve for students for the remaining number.  I mean while our attendance jumped over 30% last year we still aren't at the point of busting from the seams.

This is an event to hype up the students interest in the basketball team.  If you already have season tickets then they have no reason to have you there.  This is an event with a DJ, rapper and other stuff, it is clearly not meant for the non-student crowd.  If all the season ticket holders got their seats then many of the student population wouldn't be able to go.  And noone is stopping you from taking time out of your day, just like the students have to, to wait on line and get tickets.  Quit whining.  And I doubt it will sell out anyway.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »

This is an event to hype up the students interest in the basketball team.  If you already have season tickets then they have no reason to have you there.  This is an event with a DJ, rapper and other stuff, it is clearly not meant for the non-student crowd.  If all the season ticket holders got their seats then many of the student population wouldn't be able to go.  And noone is stopping you from taking time out of your day, just like the students have to, to wait on line and get tickets.  Quit whining.  And I doubt it will sell out anyway.

Whining? Give me a break.  Guess I can't have an opinion.  Good to know for the future.

And its pretty uninformed to say I wouldnt be interested in a DJ and rapper.

Yeah let me trek out to Queens from the city, or Jersey, or Westchester during the middle of the day to ensure I get tickets.

There are better more efficient ways to handle this.  No way to dispute that.  You think other schools lop off their season ticket holders for Midnight Madness events?  I'm willing to say they don't.  Last year pretty much half the arena was cut off.  So were not talking the 6k in seats anyway.  Who knows if they do the same this year but lets just remember what that building was like for the last 2 home games last yr.  You couldnt move in your seat.  You might be right that its not sold out, but were headed in that direction, and quickly.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »

Whining? Give me a break.  Guess I can't have an opinion.  Good to know for the future.

Yeah let me trek out to Queens from the city, or Jersey, or Westchester during the middle of the day to ensure I get tickets.

There are better more efficient ways to handle this.  No way to dispute that.  You think other schools lop off their season ticket holders for Midnight Madness events?  I'm willing to say they don't.  Last year pretty much half the arena was cut off.  So were not talking the 6k in seats anyway.  Who knows if they do the same this year but lets just remember what that building was like for the last 2 home games last yr.  You couldnt move in your seat.  You might be right that its not sold out, but were headed in that direction, and quickly.

I meant that in general our season ticket holders would not be interested in a DJ and a rapper.  Hell, I'm not interested in a DJ and rapper but most of our students are.  Our arena is not big enough to take care of both season ticket holders and the students.  We need student support to grow, that's why they are appealing to the students.  I don't get why non-student season ticket holders would have special privileges and not have to wait in line like everyone else.

redslope

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
by not being there you won't miss much.  down to the Magnificent Seven--we can't afford injuries.  it will be lay up drill without dunking and free throws with walk ons chasing. ;)

Moose

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »

I meant that in general our season ticket holders would not be interested in a DJ and a rapper.  Hell, I'm not interested in a DJ and rapper but most of our students are.  Our arena is not big enough to take care of both season ticket holders and the students.  We need student support to grow, that's why they are appealing to the students.  I don't get why non-student season ticket holders would have special privileges and not have to wait in line like everyone else.

Winning will turn students around.  Not some rapper or DJ unless were talking Jay Z from years ago or a J Cole now.

Last year and the final 2 games at CA are that evidence.  And to clarify I dont think season ticket holders should get their exact seats.  Just a general admission pass that gets them in.  Let the students sit down low for that event I have no issues with that.

It is what it is.  Maybe this is the last year we have this issue and we do Midnight Madness at the Garden down the road.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:26:51 PM by Moose »

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
Ayyyyy yo, not gonna be able to make it y'all.

Expect aplenty amount of reports on who do what. Obliged as alway.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
who is vado?
whom is celtics11?
rumors say they may be the one and the same.....

Vado is an up and coming rapper from Harlem, definitely an upgrade from Ron Browz

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
Moose, you seem bitter. You have to understand, this is like a pep rally for the team. It's for the STUDENTS who are currently attending. Honestly if you were in your late teens or early 20's at a St. John's pep rally, would you really want to be hanging out with middle-aged people? It's aimed at one demographic: students. And yes I will assume you are one of those "you kids and your rap music" kinds of people until you prove me wrong lol. Bottom line, you aren't missing that much it's just a pep rally for school pride. Picture having some middle-aged alumni from your high school there when you had a pep rally. Exactly. Weird.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
Why don't we have a separate pep rally for season ticket holders and and fans  with St.Johns dancers and cheer leaders.The old timers and alumni are the ones who  have the monies  to pay thousands of dollars for basketball tickets and other St. Johns events.It would provide a chance for alumni to meet and greet current players.