TCU the latest domino to fall

• 40 replies
TCU the latest domino to fall
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Sayonara TCU.  Set to join the Big East next year now will join the Big 12.  You would have to be blind without a cane to not have seen this coming after the Pitt and Syracuse defections.  No way TCU was joining this mess.

Looks like Matt Doherty might get his chance to coach in the BE afterall.  Word is BE is pursuing SMU, still want that Dallas/Texas market.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/tcu-horned-frogs/20111006-big-12-conference-votes-in-favor-of-inviting-tcu-to-join-league.ece

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:19:46 PM by fordham96 »

NYCoffey

Re: TCU the latest domino to fall
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/tcu_bypasses_big_east_to_join.html

Good thing we had that meeting where everyone pledged allegiance.

redslope

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
marrinatto and aggressively don't belong in the sentence.  he is a do nothing and the only aggressive thing to do now is fire him and get leadership for the BE.  TCU leaving confirms it is a joke FB conference with schools that have visions of BCS grandeur while stinking up the house.  How much did Ucon loose to play in a BCS bowl.  they could have bought a heck of a lot for that or kept in state tuition down

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
marrinatto and aggressively don't belong in the sentence.  he is a do nothing and the only aggressive thing to do now is fire him and get leadership for the BE.  TCU leaving confirms it is a joke FB conference with schools that have visions of BCS grandeur while stinking up the house.  How much did Ucon loose to play in a BCS bowl.  they could have bought a heck of a lot for that or kept in state tuition down

No doubt. Jimmy C must get tired of subsidizin football 24/7/365.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
it's safe to say the conference is in a free fall...fueled in part by the lack of integrity of the university presidents...and the ineptitude of the conference commissioner.

big east as the best basketball conference in the nation...it's been good to know ya!!

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
I know Marinatto is a convenient whipping boy but to be honest someone will have to convince me that this was not going to happen even if Tranghese was still the Commissioner.

I mean how would Marinatto have been able to head off these defections?  Tranghese could not stop Va Tech, Miami and BC (and almost Syracuse) 8 years ago.  Yes he managed to put a band-aid over the problem, but that wound and the causes of that wound were not going away no matter who became commissioner.

I am sorry I just don't see how this thing would have played out much differently if someone else was Comissioner.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
Remember when Norm was coaching and the disgruntled people would claim if we are going to keep Norm as coach we might as well leave the BE and join the A-10. Well we finally got a real coach and now we might have to join the A-10 anyway

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
This was an obvious move that makes sense for both TCU and Big 12.  Now with big 12 looking farther away from breaking up that means none of their crap football programs in the conference will be available to the big east. 

I think  it's almost a guarantee that when the bcs agreement ends in 2013 or 14 and it's up for renewal the bigeast will be left out this time, leaving it to an agreement with the other 5 conferences and Notre Dame. 

If and when Mizzu leaves big 12 they will then prob take Louisville and the dominoes will continue to fall. 

The football has been bad for awhile and it's non-existent now.  If they want to keep an 8 team football, 8 team bball conference why not just offer memphis, temple, navy and umass or central florida right now?  FOotball will still be garbage but it may save bball.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:41:26 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
This was an obvious move that makes sense for both TCU and Big 12.  Now with big 12 looking farther away from breaking up that means none of their crap football programs in the conference will be available to the big east. 

I think  it's almost a guarantee that when the bcs agreement ends in 2013 or 14 and it's up for renewal the bigeast will be left out this time, leaving it to an agreement with the other 5 conferences and Notre Dame. 

If and when Mizzu leaves big 12 they will then prob take Louisville and the dominoes will continue to fall. 

The football has been bad for awhile and it's non-existent now.  If they want to keep an 8 team football, 8 team bball conference why not just offer memphis, temple, navy and umass or central florida right now?  FOotball will still be garbage but it may save bball.

Dont add no garbage bball programs like Central Florida or East Carolina or Southwest Staten Island or whatever just to get fball.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »
Well that makes sense from St. Johns perspective.  Not necessarily the big east's perspective.  South Florida wasnt added for bball either a few years ago.  Schools like Uconn and Rutgers have to play more than 4 schools if they want to play conference football.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:54:47 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
Well that makes sense from St. Johns perspective.  Not necessarily the big east's perspective.  South Florida wasnt added for bball either a few years ago.  Schools like Uconn and Rutgers have to play more than 4 schools if they want to play conference football.

Bball-only schools gotta start votin as a block wit their best interests (and only their best interests) in mind.

Cumbaya time is officially over.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:56:33 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »

Bball-only schools gotta start votin as a block wit their best interests (and only their best interests) in mind.

The bball only schools have been slapped around twice now.  THat's certainly fair.  I only said that if they wanted to keep a 8 football / 8 bball conference.  Im not opposed to them breaking off completely  (although with Uconn and Louisville still here id rather wait).

They have to decide if they want to play in a bball conference with Uconn, cinci, rutgers and hopefully  Louisville.  WIth the addition of schools like memphis, temple, and whoever else they want for football purposes, which would probably include terrible bball schools like Navy and East Carolina.

Or the bball schools as they are now, hopefully ND if they arent forced to get out of football independence and teams like Xavier, St. Joes and whoever else they can add.

THe first choice they have  little to no power b/c it's not really their call.  And they are subject to the possibility this prob happens again in the future if the acc decides to expand to 16 teams.  THe second choice is where they will have the power.  They just have to figure out which is better for them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:31:17 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »

The bball only schools have been slapped around twice now.  THat's certainly fair.  I only said that if they wanted to keep a 8 football / 8 bball conference.  Im not opposed to them breaking off completely  (although with Uconn and Louisville still here id rather wait).

They have to decide if they want to play in a bball conference with Uconn, cinci, rutgers and hopefully  Louisville.  WIth the addition of schools like memphis, temple, and whoever else they want for football purposes, which would probably include terrible bball schools like Navy and East Carolina.

Or the bball schools as they are now, hopefully ND if they arent forced to get out of football independence and teams like Xavier, St. Joes and whoever else they can add.

THe first choice they have  little to no power b/c it's not really their call.  And they are subject to the possibility this prob happens again in the future if the acc decides to expand to 16 teams.  THe second choice is where they will have the power.  They just have to figure out which is better for them.

Aye yo. We on the same page, just discussin for the sake.

Just wanna stop yielding to the fball schools and their petty ways, charltan character and their ludicrous quest to become relevant.

jr49

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »

Whats best for the hoops only schools is to have the kind of league that will keep the ACC tourny out of MSG. Can the remaining schools with the addition Xavier and maybe Butler do that. After losing Pitt. and Cuse, will a league with no Conn, Louisville, West Va. have a big time feel to it?

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »

Whats best for the hoops only schools is to have the kind of league that will keep the ACC tourny out of MSG. Can the remaining schools with the addition Xavier and maybe Butler do that. After losing Pitt. and Cuse, will a league with no Conn, Louisville, West Va. have a big time feel to it?

Aint gonna be the same, no doubt.

But UConn was garbage the first decade of the BE. And West Va was nuthin really 'til it came on to the BE from the A10.

Gotta get some heavy-hittin leadership like a Mike Tranghese to be the commish and negotiate ourselves a good TV contract. Then negotiate for MSG. Then be selective in inviting new schools.

But I believe this bball-only conf. can thrive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:46:24 PM by Choz4Life »

redslope

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
I know Marinatto is a convenient whipping boy but to be honest someone will have to convince me that this was not going to happen even if Tranghese was still the Commissioner.

I mean how would Marinatto have been able to head off these defections?  Tranghese could not stop Va Tech, Miami and BC (and almost Syracuse) 8 years ago.  Yes he managed to put a band-aid over the problem, but that wound and the causes of that wound were not going away no matter who became commissioner.

I am sorry I just don't see how this thing would have played out much differently if someone else was Comissioner.

The BE had a TV contract that Pitt vetoed--a strong commissioner would have got it approved and signed and then got them some playmates to upgrade Big Least FB.  He let individual schools walk all over him when he should have said my way or the highway.  the FB agreement was equivalent to the ACC deal

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

The BE had a TV contract that Pitt vetoed--a strong commissioner would have got it approved and signed and then got them some playmates to upgrade Big Least FB.  He let individual schools walk all over him when he should have said my way or the highway.  the FB agreement was equivalent to the ACC deal

WRONG!! The school presidents that voted against the ESPN contract were Seton Hall, Rutgers, Georgetown and Notre Dame. The only football school to vote against was Rutgers. Two non-FB playing schools killed the deal that would have provided the stability of TV contract money and these two BB Catholic schools started the current exodus.

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
What the Big 12 did by taking TCU was a selective and smart move.  I think moves like that will actually prevent them from adding too many existing big east schools that off little to those ore leagues.  The bball schools need to start voting to ad schools like Temple and Memphis that are NOT destined for football mega-conference membership, but offer top notch bball but also have low/mid tier football programs to attempt the keep the football conference at least alive.

Remember, there is no way that these mega-conferences want ALL of the existing big east football programs.  Who wants the Connecticut football market?  The big 12? ACC?  Doubt it.  Law of diminishing returns kicks in when these conferences add too many football lightweights. 

Big east can still survive as a solid football/basketball conference, but the next moves have to to be additions that benefit the bball schools as well.  Bball schools can offer the league Temple and Memphis as football-playing members that will also benefit the bball side of the conference.  I'd love Xavier too at this point, but we might have to wait on that. 

redslope

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »

WRONG!! The school presidents that voted against the ESPN contract were Seton Hall, Rutgers, Georgetown and Notre Dame. The only football school to vote against was Rutgers. Two non-FB playing schools killed the deal that would have provided the stability of TV contract money and these two BB Catholic schools started the current exodus.

while not the NY Times. the Hartford Courant reported that the BE walked away from the ESPN offer led by the football schools.  there seems to be a difference in the facts.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
of course the big 12 was selective and smart to take tcu.  it makes far more sense for them than for the big east.  we could have jumped on smu or houston or...you name it.  instead, there's an illusion that nothing is happening except the gradual dismantling of the conference.  this guy has to do more than sit in the corner in the fetal position sucking his thumb.