TCU the latest domino to fall

• 40 replies
Re: TCU the latest domino to fall
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
Sayonara TCU.  Set to join the Big East next year now will join the Big 12.  You would have to be blind without a cane to not have seen this coming after the Pitt and Syracuse defections.  No way TCU was joining this mess.

Looks like Matt Doherty might get his chance to coach in the BE afterall.  Word is BE is pursuing SMU, still want that Dallas/Texas market.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/tcu-horned-frogs/20111006-big-12-conference-votes-in-favor-of-inviting-tcu-to-join-league.ece

THE BIG EAST IS TOAST     This implys.......

1.  hindered recruiting.
2. less nationally televised games.
3.  Why would a big time coach want to stay in a small time conference.... say goodbye to Lavs and company.

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
Too much uncertainty right now. It's going to start to hurt recruiting quickly, if it hasn't already.

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
Sayonara TCU.  Set to join the Big East next year now will join the Big 12.  You would have to be blind without a cane to not have seen this coming after the Pitt and Syracuse defections.  No way TCU was joining this mess.

Looks like Matt Doherty might get his chance to coach in the BE afterall.  Word is BE is pursuing SMU, still want that Dallas/Texas market.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/tcu-horned-frogs/20111006-big-12-conference-votes-in-favor-of-inviting-tcu-to-join-league.ece

1.  hindered recruiting.
3.  Why would a big time coach want to stay in a small time conference.... say goodbye to Lavs and company.

Not really true.  Whatever is left of the conference will still be high quality.  SJU's presence in NYC and at MSG will assure plenty of high quality of OOC games.   A conference of Georgetown, Nova, SJU, Marquette, DePaul, Temple, Xavier, Memphis, Uconn, Rutgers, Seton HAll, Providence and others won't be as small time as you're making it out to be. 

Furthermore, Lavin is a fantastic recruiter and will get his share of top 100 kids no matter what happens to this conference.  SJU will be in the top tier of the new conference for a long time regardless, and IMO Lavin likely isn't going anywhere.  He loves NYC and I see him in this for a good amount of time at SJU.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:51:04 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
What the Big 12 did by taking TCU was a selective and smart move.  I think moves like that will actually prevent them from adding too many existing big east schools that off little to those ore leagues.  The bball schools need to start voting to ad schools like Temple and Memphis that are NOT destined for football mega-conference membership, but offer top notch bball but also have low/mid tier football programs to attempt the keep the football conference at least alive.

Remember, there is no way that these mega-conferences want ALL of the existing big east football programs.  Who wants the Connecticut football market?  The big 12? ACC?  Doubt it.  Law of diminishing returns kicks in when these conferences add too many football lightweights. 

Big east can still survive as a solid football/basketball conference, but the next moves have to to be additions that benefit the bball schools as well.  Bball schools can offer the league Temple and Memphis as football-playing members that will also benefit the bball side of the conference.  I'd love Xavier too at this point, but we might have to wait on that.

I agree with this....especially the Memphis move. I'm not too sure that Nova would want to share the Philly market with Temple. For years, Nova was hated in Philly for breaking up the Big 5....and had to be brought back kicking and screaming into playing the other Big 5 schools.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:58:10 AM by Porgyman »

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
What the Big 12 did by taking TCU was a selective and smart move.  I think moves like that will actually prevent them from adding too many existing big east schools that off little to those ore leagues.  The bball schools need to start voting to ad schools like Temple and Memphis that are NOT destined for football mega-conference membership, but offer top notch bball but also have low/mid tier football programs to attempt the keep the football conference at least alive.

Remember, there is no way that these mega-conferences want ALL of the existing big east football programs.  Who wants the Connecticut football market?  The big 12? ACC?  Doubt it.  Law of diminishing returns kicks in when these conferences add too many football lightweights. 

Big east can still survive as a solid football/basketball conference, but the next moves have to to be additions that benefit the bball schools as well.  Bball schools can offer the league Temple and Memphis as football-playing members that will also benefit the bball side of the conference.  I'd love Xavier too at this point, but we might have to wait on that.

I agree with this....especially the Memphis move. I'm not too sure that Nova would want to share the Philly market with Temple. For years, Nova was hated in Philly for breaking up the Big 5....and had to be brought back kicking and screaming into playing the other Big 5 schools.

At this point, nova should absolutely embracenthe addition of Temple.  In addition, they should do their part and start advancing their football program if they really want to make demands wrt the football schools.  Right now Nova has a non-viable football program, whereas Temple has a thriving one.  If the ACC can have 4 competing schools (UNC, duke, ncsu, wake) within a few miles of each other with some great rivalries, then Nova potentially can too.  They have delusions of grandeur at this point with nothing to back it up.  Big east should add temple ASAP.  It is a solid football addition and an excellent bball addition.  Add Memphis as well.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »

1.  hindered recruiting.

Not really true.  Whatever is left of the conference will still be high quality.  SJU's presence in NYC and at MSG will assure plenty of high quality of OOC games.   A conference of Georgetown, Nova, SJU, Marquette, DePaul, Temple, Xavier, Memphis, Uconn, Rutgers, Seton HAll, Providence and others won't be as small time as you're making it out to be. 

Furthermore, Lavin is a fantastic recruiter and will get his share of top 100 kids no matter what happens to this conference.  SJU will be in the top tier of the new conference for a long time regardless, and IMO Lavin likely isn't going anywhere.  He loves NYC and I see him in this for a good amount of time at SJU.

I endorse this here post.
Except about Rutgers.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »
what makes anyone think xavier, temple, memphis, houston, etc. want to come?  this is sounding more and more like a pipe dream to me.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
what makes anyone think xavier, temple, memphis, houston, etc. want to come?  this is sounding more and more like a pipe dream to me.

A lot mo' money than the A10 and Conf. USA.

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

What disappears first, Big East or A10?

LJSA

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Neither disappear.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
They combine to for  A BIG 10 EAST!!! ;D
Cougar O' Malley

ras

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
Even though UCONN is mediocre in FB they are elite in BB. Lets hope they stick w the BE.

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7071427/big-east-leaders-discuss-conference-expansion-according-report

uconn staying in the big east is like marrying a chick that just cheated on you. its only going to be time until they leave for greener pastures.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
If UConn could leave they would.  Apparently Boston College blocked UConn after this mess happened.  Maybe that's why they are staying at 14 for now. 

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »

maybe today...but not necessarily down the road.  i'm still waiting for the commissioner to come up with something creative.

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
Latest is Boise St. Navy Air Force football only and Temple Central Florida for all sports and Nova to add football.

sju89tr

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
Memphis is a must in my opinion

ras

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
I think the problem with Memphis is their football is to weak. I believe they have problems winning games in CUSA

sju89tr

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
I think the problem with Memphis is their football is to weak. I believe they have problems winning games in CUSA

Overall package is decent enough to help off set basketball loss of SYR and PITT 

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
I think the problem with Memphis is their football is to weak.

Then they should fit in nicely in the Big East.