Walk-On Tryouts

• 39 replies
Walk-On Tryouts
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7111524/st-john-red-storm-looking-good-men

There were plenty of cringe-inducing moments over the course of the morning -- bricked layups, airballed 3-pointers and the like. But there were also a handful of guys that showed flashes of skill and athleticism -- including 6-foot-5 senior Chuck Anakwenze, a transfer who played for two years at Division II Minnesota State Moorhead before tearing his ACL.

Another promising-looking guard was 6-foot-1 Harlem native Jody Card, who played AAU ball for the New York Gauchos several years ago, but then joined the Army and served his country for four years. Card, 26, just got back from a one-year deployment in Iraq in April, and enrolled as a freshman at St. John's this fall.

With the current St. John's roster featuring only two players 6-foot-8 or above, you couldn't help but pay attention to the couple of big guys getting up and down the floor during the full-court knockout stage. Samuel Scaly-James, a 6-foot-8 freshman from Longwood High School on Long Island, was the tallest player of the bunch. The next-biggest was Jeff Ashamole, measuring 6-foot-7 1/2, a transfer originally from North Brunswick, N.J., who played for one season at Middlesex Community College.

Poison

Re: Walk-On Tryouts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
Both of these big guys have to be on the team. There is no choice.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
How many other schools could have open tryouts and bring in guys with this pedigree and size?  One of the perks of being at St. John's I guess.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
Good to hear there are decent players for the tryouts. At the very least we will need them for practicing and maybe even to steal a few minutes during games. I wonder how many will make the team

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
Good to hear there are decent players for the tryouts. At the very least we will need them for practicing and maybe even to steal a few minutes during games. I wonder how many will make the team

My guess is 2 of the bigger guys and Card.  Just a guess.  We need some size.  The JC guy seems a lock.  Adding 3, we wouldn't have to jettison anybody if Pelle and Garrett make it on board in December.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:52:07 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
I would guess the four who were mentioned specifically in the article.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
Someone on twitter congratulated 'sammy' form making the team. I'm assuming it's Samuel Scaly-James.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
I don't understand how other BE schools have 5-8 walk ons and we're hoping to add 3? If we add 3, we'd have enough to f'n practice. It's senseless to not load up on walk ons.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »
I don't understand how other BE schools have 5-8 walk ons and we're hoping to add 3? If we add 3, we'd have enough to f'n practice. It's senseless to not load up on walk ons.

We don't need 8 walk-ons.  That said, you're probably right.  Scaley-James, Card, Anakwenze and Ashamole seem likely.  4 is enough.  Jamal white is really a 5th even though he was given a scholarship this year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:29:56 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
If we take 4 walk ons assuming White is an actual ship player, and 3 guys get hurt, which one of our coaches suits up for practices?

Moose

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
If we take 4 walk ons assuming White is an actual ship player, and 3 guys get hurt, which one of our coaches suits up for practices?

If I had 6 numbers instead of 3 I would have been a millionaire
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »

We don't need 8 walk-ons.  That said, you're probably right.  Scaley-James, Card, Anakwenze and Ashamole seem likely.  4 is enough.  Jamal white is really a 5th even though he was given a scholarship this year.
Glad to know roster decisions are in such capable hands. First you say 3, cutting the 6'5 kid with D2 experience than you say we don't need 8 than 4 is enough. Quess you will be getting to work on next season schedule soon too huh? :)

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:30:53 AM »
Unless Sam Scaley-James was known as Sam Sealy in high school, I'm not sure the big guy even played before coming to St. John's.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
Unless Sam Scaley-James was known as Sam Sealy in high school, I'm not sure the big guy even played before coming to St. John's.

If he's 6'8, he'll make the team, and he'll play because 3 of our recruits dicked around.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:40:29 AM »

If he's 6'8, he'll make the team, and he'll play because 3 of our recruits dicked around.

Awesome! Your what make me proud to be an STJ fan!

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

Well, before yesterday, he's wasn't on even a D-III roster for a reason, and I'd love to know what it is.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »

No, Moose. That's what the metal detectors are for.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

No, Moose. That's what the metal detectors are for.

Well thats another reason too.

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

Well, before yesterday, he's wasn't on even a D-III roster for a reason, and I'd love to know what it is.

Maybe because he isn't AT a D-III school?  He's a legit Saint Johns, tuition paying STUDENT.  By choice.   Some kids prioritize.  Playing D-III ball and getting a degree from Podunk U, or being able to announce for the rest of their lives they're a graduate of Saint Johns University.   And he's willing to make getting that degree a WHOLE lot more difficult by surrendering a tremendous amount of his time to help the team as practice fodder.   But now, just maybe, for the rest of his life he also gets to say I played varsity basketball for Saint Johns.  Heck - if all goes as we all hope, maybe he goes thru life with a 2014 or 2015 RING.

LJSA

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

Maybe because he isn't AT a D-III school?  He's a legit Saint Johns, tuition paying STUDENT.  By choice.   Some kids prioritize.  Playing D-III ball and getting a degree from Podunk U, or being able to announce for the rest of their lives they're a graduate of Saint Johns University.   And he's willing to make getting that degree a WHOLE lot more difficult by surrendering a tremendous amount of his time to help the team as practice fodder.   But now, just maybe, for the rest of his life he also gets to say I played varsity basketball for Saint Johns.  Heck - if all goes as we all hope, maybe he goes thru life with a 2014 or 2015 RING.

Of course that could be true. But it may also be because he didn't get a single offer to play anywhere. I just was wondering what the circumstances were that led him to St. John's.