Harkless looks to be more physical [NY Post]

• 19 replies
Harkless looks to be more physical [NY Post]
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
"He says stuff that I shouldn't say," Harkless, sounding a little embarrassed, said of the verbal challenges he gets from Dunlap and the other St. John's assistant coaches. "He tells me a lot of teams are going to be out to get me. He just tells me I have to be real tough out there."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/moe_toughness_Y0JkwvF14DnnacWF1zxd8L#ixzz1b0R8RYl1
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Harkless looks to be more physical [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Great article.. WOW Moe really looks to be a mature young man. Really like the comments about the Tattoos

Moose

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
Great article.. WOW Moe really looks to be a mature young man. Really like the comments about the Tattoos

I said it earlier this summer he will go down as one of the Top 5 best players in STJ history.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Became my favorite player when he came out to Public Service Announcement at the Tip Off :)

He already looks like the leader of the team

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »

I said it earlier this summer he will go down as one of the Top 5 best players in STJ history.

To quote Vincent Vega in pulp fiction, "that is a bold statement"!

Moose

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »

Well nobody can accuse me of not being bullish.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
Do you mean Mooseish? :)

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »

Tough top 5 to crack:
In my lifetime:
1a Mullin
1b Berry
2 Sealy
3 Artest
4 Jackson

Moose

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

Tough top 5 to crack:
In my lifetime:
1a Mullin
1b Berry
2 Sealy
3 Artest
4 Jackson

Everyone is going to have a different top 5 and generations are going to come into play.  He is probably the most talented player we will have had since Artest and hes a lot more straightened up, so provided he lives up to the expectations that should top him.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »
The best part about it is you have to look at the tools that Harkless has around him.  Teams will come at him and guys like D'Angelo and Lindsey are open.  We might not be deep this season, but Harkless is far from alone on this team talent-wise.  It's good for us and Harkless.  I really like this kid.  He has lots of ability and when the staff saw him at their camp last summer, they weren't letting him get away.  Lavin makes bold statements.  Now he makes one about Harkless.  We all thought he was cracked when he called Hardy the best shooter he had seen at that time.  Hardy went on to be a Wooden Finalist and honorable mention All American.  Can't help but be excited to have this kid on board. 

crgreen

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »

Tough top 5 to crack:
In my lifetime:
1a Mullin
1b Berry
2 Sealy
3 Artest
4 Jackson

Everyone is going to have a different top 5 and generations are going to come into play.  He is probably the most talented player we will have had since Artest and hes a lot more straightened up, so provided he lives up to the expectations that should top him.

You never know  who's going to break out to make those top 5 lists.   Especially in this day of 1 and 2 and done players.  How high might Artest have been on your lists after 4 years instead of 2?

I'm a Bruin fan - how high might Kevin Love have reached on my list, had he been more than a 1 year player?

And you don't always SEE the greatness in 1 year.  A few years ago my bruins had a frosh who only got 9 minutes a game, put up 4 pts.  And I got in trouble by posting I thought that before he finished his Bruin Career, he'd be the greatest Shooting Guard in UCLA history - better than Gail Goodrich, better than Lucius Allen  (just flashes you'd see and go "what the f*ck was that????").   I was wrong on 2 counts.  He didn't stay long enuf to pass those 2, and he didn't stay an SG.   But I still think Russell Westbrook will be remembered when all is said and done as one of the best ever out of UCLA - even if the greatness happens in the pros.   And for those fixated on recruit rankings, Westy wasn't a top 100 player (Phil Greene?  Darrick Wood?  Anyone?).

Here's hoping, THESE kids produce great things while still in Saint Johns unis!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »

Tough top 5 to crack:
In my lifetime:
1a Mullin
1b Berry
2 Sealy
3 Artest
4 Jackson

Moe's toolbox is full...and it's about to be opened.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
I love this kid. In two years, he'll be awesome.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »
I love this kid. In two years, he'll be awesome.

Agreed.  Seems like not only a great player, but a great kid.  A team this young needs leaders, he's seemed to take that role willingly.  That is natural and can't be taught.  Will be fun watching him develop.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
Can his game take the road towards Kevin Durrant or is Moe more of a post up player?  Can he handle the ball and does he have 3pt range?  All I have seen is the explosiveness to the rim.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
Definitely more of a Kevin Durant style of play than post up style. Hes long, rangy, athletic, and can both shoot it and put it on the floor.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Can his game take the road towards Kevin Durrant or is Moe more of a post up player?  Can he handle the ball and does he have 3pt range?  All I have seen is the explosiveness to the rim.

He has a low dribble and handles the ball like a guard.  Very solid deep shooter also.  Needs to just follow through with his wrist a little more, but coaches will work with him on that.  He's not a post guy, but can post up real well and shoot over opponents.  Very smooth player with inside/outside skills.

crgreen

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

He has a low dribble and handles the ball like a guard.  Very solid deep shooter also.  Needs to just follow through with his wrist a little more, but coaches will work with him on that.  He's not a post guy, but can post up real well and shoot over opponents.  Very smooth player with inside/outside skills.

Okay, that's ONE aspect you DON'T want Rico involved in!   :)

Actually, fortunate that those who can't, TEACH!

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
Moe should just study D'Angelo.  He has a near perfect form on his jumper.  He is gonna be an incredible deep threat.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
Moe should just study D'Angelo.  He has a near perfect form on his jumper.  He is gonna be an incredible deep threat.

Loved seeing Harrison shooting set jumpers from halfcourt at MM.  Sick.