Mike Waters pre-season BE MEDIA poll

• 28 replies
Mike Waters pre-season BE MEDIA poll
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
Just out.  Mike Waters of Syracuse.com does an annual pre-season poll of all the beat writers.  RU, SJU and SHU are 11,12,13 in that order.  SJU probably got knocked down 2-3 spots because of the ineligibile players.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/10/the_results_of_the_big_east_wr.html

League predictions
1. Syracuse 29 (6 1st-place votes)
2. Connecticut 30 (8)
3. Louisville 45 (2)
4. Pittsburgh 58
5. Marquette 90
6. Cincinnati 96
7. West Virginia 120
8. Villanova 124
9. Notre Dame 141
10. Georgetown 153
11. Rutgers 188
12. St. John's 191
13. Seton Hall 204
14. South Florida 230
15. DePaul 236
16. Providence 241

(Teams were given one point for a 1st-place vote, two points for a 2nd-place vote and so on through No. 16).

All-Big East team
Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh
Kris Joseph, Syracuse
Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut
Tim Abromaitis, Notre Dame
Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette

Others receiving votes:
Yancy Gates, Cincinnati
Kevin Jones, West Virginia
Peyton Siva, Louisville
Scoop Jardine, Syracuse
Andre Drummond, Connecticut
Alex Oriakhi, Connecticut
Maalik Wayns, Villanova
Mouphtaou Yarou, Villanova

Player of the Year
Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh (7 votes)
Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut (4)
Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette (2)
Kris Joseph, Syracuse (1)
Tim Abromaitis, Notre Dame (1)
Peyton Siva, Louisville (1)

Rookie of the Year
Andre Drummond, Connecticut (12 votes)
Wayne Blackshear, Louisville (1)
Chane Behanan, Louisville (1)
Ryan Boatright, Connecticut (1)
Khem Birch, Pittsburgh (1)

LJSA

Re: Mike Waters pre-season BE MEDIA poll
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
Considering our leading scorer will be a rookie, you'd think one of our guys would have been in the rookie of the year category.

I also think Boatright won't do much as a freshman.

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Considering our leading scorer will be a rookie, you'd think one of our guys would have been in the rookie of the year category.

I also think Boatright won't do much as a freshman.

Boatright over Harkless, huh?

Surprised this Cuse scribe didn't play with the votes to get Fab Melo on this list lol

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
Agree with both of you.  Assuming Lindsey is eligible for rookie team since he is a 1st year player (even though he is JUCO) he to me is a lock to be on that pre-season team assuming he is eligible.  But even if he isn't Harkless/Pointer/Harrison deserve consideration over Boatright and even Behanan.  I mean first off their high school rankings demand this not to mention those 3 will start and Boatright and Behanan probably won't.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:20:59 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
did he pick us third last year???  if not, throw this in the garbage.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
Providence will not be the worst team in the conference.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:43 PM »
If we play well, we'll be covered. All this does is add additional pressure. And with 7 players, I'm more than happy go into this season quietly.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
Prov seems to get the real shaft here.

And I agree with the low expectations.  Love the fire that comes out of players when they are considered underdogs.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:38 PM »
Agree with both of you.  Assuming Lindsey is eligible for rookie team since he is a 1st year player (even though he is JUCO) he to me is a lock to be on that pre-season team assuming he is eligible.  But even if he isn't Harkless/Pointer/Harrison deserve consideration over Boatright and even Behanan.  I mean first off their high school rankings demand this not to mention those 3 will start and Boatright and Behanan probably won't.

Hatten wasn't eligible. I don't see how Lindsey can be.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »

Yeah plus Crowder last year didn't get any pub and he was JUCO similar to Nuri.

Last year's BE newcomer team was all freshman at the end of the year.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
did he pick us third last year???  if not, throw this in the garbage.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/10/pitt_picked_to_win_big_east_an.html

He?  This is a poll taken of beat writers that cover the Big East.  And here is the Writers Poll from last year that had SJU at 7th.  The Coaches had SJU at 6th and most thought BOTH were overrating SJU.  Especially the Coaches Poll which was largely skewed because Pitino as we all know gave SJU a first place vote.  And of course they get things wrong.  They had ND and Cincy way down and both had terrific years and of course they had Fab Melo as Newcomer of the Year.  But so did everyone else.  It happens.

I don't see much to be outraged by.  Yeah you can argue that perhaps DePaul should be dead last instead of Providence but neither are going to be particularly good anyway, so what?  That is a quibble more than an argument.

Put it to you another way, do you see the Coaches Poll looking significantly different?

Poison

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
The Harkless/Pointer/Harrison/Greene crew will probably contend for ROY honors because they're all going to play 30+ minutes a game. Uconn is stacked, so we don't know who will be on the floor right now.

Syracuse isn't as stacked. They have a freshman big who is supposed to be very good too. As well as a guard. Still, they have returning players who will expect to get their shots. Joseph, Jardine and Triche are the veterans of that team. I would like to go on record saying that SU will not win the BE. They won't even finish in the top 5.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
The Harkless/Pointer/Harrison/Greene crew will probably contend for ROY honors because they're all going to play 30+ minutes a game. Uconn is stacked, so we don't know who will be on the floor right now.

Syracuse isn't as stacked. They have a freshman big who is supposed to be very good too. As well as a guard. Still, they have returning players who will expect to get their shots. Joseph, Jardine and Triche are the veterans of that team. I would like to go on record saying that SU will not win the BE. They won't even finish in the top 5.

I'll take that bet, in terms of SU not finishing in the top 5. 

Moose

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »

Very interesting prediction regarding Cuse.  What is your Top 5 then?

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/228746/Connecticut,-Syracuse-Tie-For-First-Place-In-Preseason-Coaches%E2%80%99-Poll-.aspx

Official Coaches Poll and it has RU/SJU/SHU in the exact same spots as the writers, 11/12/13.

Our SHU friends at SouthOrangeJuice.com, on the same network as Rumble In the Jungle, have given their lists of the top BE players at each position.  Interesting that they give high marks to 3 returning SHU players.  They have Pope as the best Power Forward, Fu Edwin as the 5th best small forward and Jordan Theodore as the 5th best point guard.  That would mean that on paper with 3 of the best players in the conference SHU would be a top 4 or 5 team at least.

Yet on these two pre-season polls they are picked to finish in the bottom quarter of the conference and not one of the 3 players is given recognition as even honorable mention pre-season All-BE.

http://www.southorangejuice.com/

sju89tr

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
My prediction

1. UCONN
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cincinnati
6. Villanova
7. Marquette
8. West Virginia
9. Notre Dame
10. St Johns
11. Georgetown
12. Rutgers
13. South Florida
14. Seton Hall
15. DePaul
16. Providence

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
My prediction

1. UCONN
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cincinnati
6. Villanova
7. Marquette
8. West Virginia
9. Notre Dame
10. St Johns
11. Georgetown
12. Rutgers
13. South Florida
14. Seton Hall
15. DePaul
16. Providence

I don't believe Providence will finish last (I'd probably put them somehwere between 11-13), but overall I can go with your prediction.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »

Yeah plus Crowder last year didn't get any pub and he was JUCO similar to Nuri.

Last year's BE newcomer team was all freshman at the end of the year.

I think you are correct.  I believe they started using Rookie of the Year and now Newcomer of the Year instead of Freshmen of the Year because way back when the NCAA had Prop 48 and the BE allowed these type of players, after sitting a full year, those players were allowed to be eligible for that award even though they technically were not true freshmen.  Brian Shorter of Pitt was a great example of this.  He was a Porp 48 kid, sat a year, and then had a huge sophomore year and won the Rookie of the Year award.   This was back in 89.  See below.

But transfers either JUCO or from another school would not be eligible even though they are also newcomers so to speak.  Since they have already played on the college level.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/big-east-all-time-top-50/26-brian-shorter/

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
My prediction

1. UCONN
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cincinnati
6. Villanova
7. Marquette
8. West Virginia
9. Notre Dame
10. St Johns
11. Georgetown
12. Rutgers
13. South Florida
14. Seton Hall
15. DePaul
16. Providence

I don't believe Providence will finish last (I'd probably put them somehwere between 11-13), but overall I can go with your prediction.

Are you serious with Providence?

On paper what does PC have?

sju89tr

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
My prediction

1. UCONN
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cincinnati
6. Villanova
7. Marquette
8. West Virginia
9. Notre Dame
10. St Johns
11. Georgetown
12. Rutgers
13. South Florida
14. Seton Hall
15. DePaul
16. Providence

13-16 is actually totally interchangeable, DePaul hit hard with injuries and if Pope and Theodore don't play well for the Hall, they are just dreadful