Young St. John's team wants to win NCAA championship [NY Post]

• 8 replies
Young St. John's team wants to win NCAA championship [NY Post]
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
Plan A didn’t work.
After hearing this summer that sophomore point guard Nurideen Lindsey said his expectation was for St. John’s to win the NCAA championship, coach Steve Lavin thought it wise to make his recruits off-limits to the press until they had a chance to get some media training.
But when asked at last week’s 2011 Red Storm Tip-Off about the team’s goals, Lindsey proved, to the staff’s chagrin, he still has the courage of his convictions. The goal is to win the NCAA title, he said.
“What we do is, we lock them away for six weeks and send them to a class in media preparation,” St. John’s assistant coach Mike Dunlap said jokingly yesterday at Big East men’s basketball media day. “Since that didn’t work, Coach Lavin said, ‘Dunlap, you’re in charge of talking them off the cliff.’ ”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/red_storm_cocky_bunch_wants_it_all_hRquc1w97BXluIvWqa8sxL#ixzz1bK72PyGW
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Young St. John's team wants to win NCAA championship [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
I love that at the end of the article it shows how the coaches balance their relationship with these kids. Being around them, showing they do care and letting them joke around with them. But, whips come out when they are in the basketball court and it is all business. Thse are young kids with high hopes and expectations from themselves. It will be important to keep them in check and not break once the first bad or consecutive losses come. This is an awesome coaching staff though and I trust them guiding this young ultra talented bunch.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »
This group has a swagger and a confidence that I really love.  I believe they will reach their goals with a few more pieces on the court and some seasoning.  I want them shooting for a national championship, not settling.  We're a bit thin on the roster but quite talented.  Things may work out better than some are expecting if we can get Norvel and Garrett on this court in December.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
Recently the goal was to reach the BE Tournament.

I'll take these goals instead.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

Love that a Title is Nuri' goal.   It might also help a decision as to whether or not to come back for a 2nd season, should  the team fall short this year :)

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
Love that a Title is Nuri' goal.   It might also help a decision as to whether or not to come back for a 2nd season, should  the team fall short this year :)

I hope Lindsey stays at St. John's for a couple of seasons (or, the three years he's alloted), as I believe we're gonna be a very, very good team within another year.  Imagine, the current bunch to go along with Garrett, Pelle, Gathers, Wood and possibly, someone like Obekpa.

Hopefully, Garrett and Pelle are able to join next month, as they'll get experience with the current group.  We may end up being a pretty stacked team.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:39:43 AM by mjdinkins »

LJSA

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
I wouldn't want to root for a team that didn't have a championship as the goal. If you fall short, you fall short, but don't shortchange yourselves or the fans by setting crummy goals.

If I rooted for Prairie View A&M, I'd want them to say the goal was a national championship. Obviously all parties involved know that it would never happen, but at least say it anyway. The ultimate goal of playing sports is to win it all.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
hey, you never know.
uconn didn't look too good against us last year...but the chips fell into place and the rest is history.
if our guys get hot at the end.....