St. John's gets votes in first Top 25 poll

• 21 replies
St. John's gets votes in first Top 25 poll
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
St. John's made an appearance in the first ESPN/USA Today coaches poll of the season, released on Thursday.

No, the Red Storm were not ranked in the top 25. But they did receive 11 votes, placing them 40th overall, despite the fact that the team returns just one scholarship player from last year's squad, reserve guard Malik Stith.

North Carolina received 30 of the 31 first-place votes, making them the near-unanimous No. 1 team in the country. Kentucky, which St. John's faces on the road Dec. 1, got the remaining first-place vote and is ranked No. 2.

Six Big East teams were placed in the top 25, including four in the top 11. UConn, the defending national champions, leads that group at No. 4.

I'm surprised that we got any votes. People must have a lot of faith in Lavin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/2695/st-johns-gets-votes-in-first-top-25-poll

Re: St. John's gets votes in first Top 25 poll
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
St. John's made an appearance in the first ESPN/USA Today coaches poll of the season, released on Thursday.

No, the Red Storm were not ranked in the top 25. But they did receive 11 votes, placing them 40th overall, despite the fact that the team returns just one scholarship player from last year's squad, reserve guard Malik Stith.

North Carolina received 30 of the 31 first-place votes, making them the near-unanimous No. 1 team in the country. Kentucky, which St. John's faces on the road Dec. 1, got the remaining first-place vote and is ranked No. 2.

Six Big East teams were placed in the top 25, including four in the top 11. UConn, the defending national champions, leads that group at No. 4.

I'm surprised that we got any votes. People must have a lot of faith in Lavin.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/2695/st-johns-gets-votes-in-first-top-25-poll

And his outstanding staff. Last year they surprised everyone and this year they've got a lot more to work with.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
I'm very surprised we're getting votes. I wouldn't vote for us just based on the fact we only have 8 scholarship players. That's gonna make it extremely tough to win in the Big East.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »
Who knows if coaches across the country are even aware that 3 of our players were ruled ineligible and some coaches even just let their ADs vote.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
The voters must have alot of faith in those walkons

Moose

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
The voters must have alot of faith in those walkons

Cute
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »
How many votes did Iona get?

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »

Iona will get alot after they spank Purdue in game 1

LJSA

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »

Typical non-answer out of you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:59:25 AM by LJSA »

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

Typical non-answer out of you.

I think Iona and Fairfield are better than St Johns at this point, hows that for an answer

LJSA

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Nope, still a shitty, pussy-boy answer.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »

I have no idea if Iona got any votes, doesnt matter-no games have been played. Georgetown,Purdue,Vanderbilt etc. are usually ranked too, they ususally shat the bed. Who cares?

Im not even sure why you brought Iona into this thread

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

I have no idea if Iona got any votes, doesnt matter-no games have been played. Georgetown,Purdue,Vanderbilt etc. are usually ranked too, they ususally shat the bed. Who cares?

I bet you'd love for Iona to play G'town, huh? 

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

Of course, St Johns too. But looks like the Big East took the high road on scheduling the Gaels

http://www.icgaels.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=14900&SPID=7099&SPSID=64319
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:17:00 AM by Marco Baldi »

Moose

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »

Of course, St Johns too. But looks like the Big East took the high road on scheduling the Gaels

http://www.icgaels.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=14900&SPID=7099&SPSID=64319

Of course.  Because there are never two sides to a story.  And it doesn't take two to tango.  Did you ever think that Iona didn't want to play certain games?  Or had logistical issues.  Still amazes me how some people don't realize just how difficult it is to make a schedule.

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »

Of course.  Because there are never two sides to a story.  And it doesn't take two to tango.  Did you ever think that Iona didn't want to play certain games?  Or had logistical issues.  Still amazes me how some people don't realize just how difficult it is to make a schedule.

Im not just talking this year.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »

Well if your referring to last year the schedule was pretty much in place for both new coaches.  This was really their first year to mix and match.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

Well if your referring to last year the schedule was pretty much in place for both new coaches.  This was really their first year to mix and match.

I dont think the 2 have played each other in about 10 years? Not sure.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
There is no way to know if Iona and Fairfield are better than SJU right now.
We don't have any idea how any one of our 6 new players will perform.

We last played Iona in Dec of 95. Felipe Lopez was in mid season form.

And, it was understanding that Iona an equal home and away schedule with St.John's,
and we were not willing to give them that. Rightfully so. They don't deserve it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:53:07 AM by Poison »

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
There is no way to know if Iona and Fairfield are better than SJU right now.
We don't have any idea how any one of our 6 new players will perform.

We last played Iona in Dec of 95. Felipe Lopez was in mid season form.

Yet St Johns gets top 25 votes.