2012 Frontcourt recruits

• 13 replies
2012 Frontcourt recruits
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
A well rounded team needs 4 or 5 PF/ctrs.

Next year we have GG returning,
Gathers (Verbal), Pelle possibly, Sampson decomitted
& Obekpa (who is signing late) we're 1  out of 4 or 5.

Is staff looking seriously at any other 2012 bigs ?
If 3  of above new players are here in 10 mos then we're fine,
but as we found out last month...
Molloy '71

Marillac

Re: 2012 Frontcourt recruits
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Lavin could grab a qualified juco big to play starting in December as a bandaid.  An interesting plan for next year might be to add a 5th year senior that just graduated.  How nice would it have been to add that La Tech PF this summer?  Beast.

I think we'd be an attractive option for a stud big playing for a poor team to move to for a final season.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Lavin could grab a qualified juco big to play starting in December as a bandaid.  An interesting plan for next year might be to add a 5th year senior that just graduated.  How nice would it have been to add that La Tech PF this summer?  Beast.

I think we'd be an attractive option for a stud big playing for a poor team to move to for a final season.
I wasnt really thinking about Dec- just next year.

I wonder if staff has any possibilities  on radar that we dont know about for December ?
Molloy '71

SJUFAN

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:21 PM »

I wasnt really thinking about Dec- just next year.

I wonder if staff has any possibilities  on radar that we dont know about for December ?

One thing is for sure, it appears this staff is not going to waste a scholarship on a player just to fill a roster spot. If they cannot find a quality big or whomever, then they will hold the ship for another year. 

ras

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
Between pelle,Gathers and Sampson the question is who of those 3 will be here next year? If we dont get at least 2 ,I think we need another Big for back up, even if hes not a 4 star recruit.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
well correct me if i am wrong but Dunlap has close international ties to the australian and new zealand region which has produced significant bigs to college and pros over last 20 years [ie.  center  Steve Adams to Pitt this year is a top 5 recruit]......why are we not mining this potential gold mine?

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

So if a juco was qualified now he could leave the juco team and play for us in 2 months ? I had no idea that was possible

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »
I think this season is done for adding big men.  My real concern is for 2012.  We need more than just Gathers coming in.  I'd like one more than Gathers and Pelle to tell the truth.  Dream situation would be to have Pelle, Gathers and Obekpa come in for 2012.  This recruiting class was the year of the wing player.  Hopefully 12' is the year of the post player...

Moose

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »

So if a juco was qualified now he could leave the juco team and play for us in 2 months ? I had no idea that was possible

Yes.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »
I think this season is done for adding big men.  My real concern is for 2012.  We need more than just Gathers coming in.  I'd like one more than Gathers and Pelle to tell the truth.  Dream situation would be to have Pelle, Gathers and Obekpa come in for 2012.  This recruiting class was the year of the wing player.  Hopefully 12' is the year of the post player...

I'm also wishing and hoping for a frontcourt of GG, Gathers, Pelle and Obekpa.  A frontcourt of the aforementioned, to along with our backcourt, and we would certainly have something cooking.   

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

I'm also wishing and hoping for a frontcourt of GG, Gathers, Pelle and Obekpa.  A frontcourt of the aforementioned, to along with our backcourt, and we would certainly have something cooking.   

We could compete with anybody with at lineup.  Wed have strength with Gathers and GG, immense shot blocking ability with Pelle and Obekpa not to mention some fantastic wings in Harkless, pointer and Garrett.  Add that to our big and athletic backcourt and there aren't a lot of teams who I would say wouldnt struggle with us.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Has anyone heard anything since the new regime took over about the coaches looking over seas for recruits?   I know Lavin mentioned it in interviews at the beginning of last season, but it seemed to be just media spin; that the staff would recruit from coast to coast (not just the metro area), and even over seas.

But I didn't know if anyone has heard any indications that we were actively doing this?   I'm not suggesting it's a priority; but just interested to know.   As far as I've read, none of the coaches took any scouting trips this summer outside the states did they?

sju89tr

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »

Add Sampson to that rotation then maybe I will be happy  :laugh:

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Well as of now we have 7 returning, plus Garrett & Wood (verbal)

If we get 1 of Pelle, Gathers, Sampson or Obekpa in 2012, we're still seriously short & thin bench.

But it seems like none of above are signing early which makes me very worried.

Staff needs to pick up recruiting trail again & get involved with 5+ more kids.
we need at least 2 more recruits signed in spring (not counting above) that arent even being
discussed yet (unless Garrett, Wood, and 2 of above bigs arrive, then we're just bare minimum)
Molloy '71