U.S. Rep. Rush Slams NCAA

• 4 replies

Moose

U.S. Rep. Rush Slams NCAA
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) hosted a forum yesterday in DC to discuss the state of the NCAA, during which he said the organization is "one of the most vicious, most ruthless organizations ever created by mankind." Rush: "I think you would compare the NCAA to Al Capone and to the Mafia. It's a systemic, ongoing, prolonged abuse of thousands and thousands of innocent young men and women." NCAA VP/Communications Bob Williams said via e-mail, "Congressman Rush obviously doesn't know the NCAA" (USA TODAY, 11/2).

Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: U.S. Rep. Rush Slams NCAA
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
Glad to see someone from my party say that. I remember working with a guy in NYC, who attended the University of Texas in the old Southwest Conference days. He told me that the football players would attend class on the first day, and you would never see them again in class for the rest of the year. Anybody who tried to fail them, were out of a job when the year was over. This also I heard went on at Texas A & M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Southern Methodist, and Baylor. I think Rice, was the exception. Anyway, the NCAA never did anything. You think they didn't know that the football players weren't attending classes in the Texas schools? The universities and the NCAA were making millions from CBS, NBC, & ABC. So you had to turn your head, and pretend nothing is going on. Of course, someone like Erick Barkley trades his car to a friend, he gets nailed, and suspended. There have been double standards with that corrupt NCAA for years.

kob24

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »
love this

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Give me a break.  A cheap politician prone to using hyperbole is now something we should applaud.

There is plenty wrong with the current system and the NCAA is far from perfect.  But let's not make the kids out to be some sort of perfect victims.  We all know in many cases these kids would not have the opportunity to go these schools in many cases WITHOUT sports and without the NCAA pouring billions into aid and scholarships.  Go look at the academic requirements of kids who are non-athletes and those who are athletes at many of these schools (UCLA, Duke, UNC, etc.).  You would see a STARK difference.

Sorry but anytime I hear a politician use the term "Mafia" or "Nazi" or anything like that it makes me laugh.  There is plenty wrong in the world but things have to be kept in perspective.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:42:48 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
Glad to see someone from my party say that. I remember working with a guy in NYC, who attended the University of Texas in the old Southwest Conference days. He told me that the football players would attend class on the first day, and you would never see them again in class for the rest of the year. Anybody who tried to fail them, were out of a job when the year was over. This also I heard went on at Texas A & M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Southern Methodist, and Baylor. I think Rice, was the exception. Anyway, the NCAA never did anything. You think they didn't know that the football players weren't attending classes in the Texas schools? The universities and the NCAA were making millions from CBS, NBC, & ABC. So you had to turn your head, and pretend nothing is going on. Of course, someone like Erick Barkley trades his car to a friend, he gets nailed, and suspended. There have been double standards with that corrupt NCAA for years.
Yep, totally true.  When I first started caddying in the late 70s, a guy I caddied with (who went to the U) was laughing as he told me he never saw the few football team members show up for his classes they were in.  He said they got either C or C+ for the class - never showed up. That was during Schnellenburger's time there. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:38:58 AM by bball purist »