Who is your new favorite player?

• 74 replies

MCNPA

Re: Who is your new favorite player?
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
People keep saying that GG isn't a "big" because he's shorter than Harkless.  Well Harkless is almost 6'9" and Gift is 6'7"-6'8" and about 240.   That's a big.  It's bigger than Lonny Baxter was when they won the NCAA champ.  In the mold of a Haslem, May, Etan Thomas or other athletic PF/c type.  He's still a big and not undersized.  We just need a few more of him.

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
Gene Keady said the other night that the most overrated thing in basketball is height.
If GG plays like Dele Coker should have played, why does it matter how tall he is?

The problem is that there are only two players who can really contend inside. That will hopefully be addressed with Garrett, Pelle and Cummings. At least one of them has got to join.

Funny if height doesn't matter I don't recall many 6-0 centers. When people say "size doesn't mattter" I think they are saying that becuase they themselves don't measure up  in one way or another ;) On the basketball court and in the sack size does matter. What Keady probably meant is that there are things a player can do to make up a couple inch height disadvantage. I think GG is closer to 6-6 however. The Barkley's and Dantley's of the world are the exception not the rule. I hope GG is one of the exceptions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:22:23 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
People keep saying that GG isn't a "big" because he's shorter than Harkless.  Well Harkless is almost 6'9" and Gift is 6'7"-6'8" and about 240.   That's a big.  It's bigger than Lonny Baxter was when they won the NCAA champ.  In the mold of a Haslem, May, Etan Thomas or other athletic PF/c type.  He's still a big and not undersized.  We just need a few more of him.

In some magazines Harkless was listed at 6-6, now he is 6-9? I say Harkless seems to be a legit 6-7 or 6-8 but for the most part you can take a couple inches away from every basketball players listed height. This is the opposite of any woman over 30 wgere you can pretty confidently add two years to whatever she tells you.
Baxter was listed at 6-8 I believe and I do not know how tall he really was. He had much more girth than GG who seems to be built out of stone.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:32:26 PM by we are sju »

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »

In some magazines Harkless was listed at 6-6, now he is 6-9? I say Harkless seems to be a legit 6-7 or 6-8 but for the most part you can take a couple inches away from every basketball players listed height. This is the opposite of any woman over 30 wgere you can pretty confidently add two years to whatever she tells you.
Baxter was listed at 6-8 I believe and I do not know how tall he really was. He had much more girth than GG who seems to be built out of stone.

You haven't been keeping up.  Dunlap said Harkless grew 2 inches this summer to a legit 6'8" 1/2.  No way GG is only 6'6".  Lonny Baxter was sub 6'8" even thought he was listed as such. Regardless, GG is plenty big enough to be our center.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
Regardless, GG is plenty big enough to be our center.

If he continues to have perfect nights from the floor and line,  I'd say he is.

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »

Harkless seems to get bigger everytime I see him. He's also taller than Godsgift
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Gift also has long arms. Didnt Wooden say the length of the arms are more important than height? He also emphasized quickness. Gift is as quick as any big man. So far he has been a pleasant suprise. This team would be in bad shape without him,

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »
Look at Dejuan Blair, he is no taller than GG an he was a beast for Pitt a few years ago. You can be an effective big man while not being 6'9+

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
Nurideen Lindsey is my guy.

During the Lehigh comeback, analyst eluded to his HS nickname of "Too Easy",

We should ask Nurideen if he digs it, if so, Too Easy is my guy.

Awesome player, better success story.

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
Look at Dejuan Blair, he is no taller than GG an he was a beast for Pitt a few years ago. You can be an effective big man while not being 6'9+

Exactly, 212!  Some people continue to believe someone has to be 6'10 or taller, in order to be considered a "big."  Actually, Gathers is a big (PF).  He only goes about 6'7", but he's considered a "big," in my book.  IMO, he'd give most "bigs" in college basketball plenty of trouble. 

GG is a "big" and I believe he'll end up having a pretty good two-year career for our Johnnies....  As, a "big."   ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:58:02 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Gene Keady said the other night that the most overrated thing in basketball is height.
If GG plays like Dele Coker should have played, why does it matter how tall he is?

The problem is that there are only two players who can really contend inside. That will hopefully be addressed with Garrett, Pelle and Cummings. At least one of them has got to join.

Funny if height doesn't matter I don't recall many 6-0 centers. When people say "size doesn't mattter" I think they are saying that becuase they themselves don't measure up  in one way or another ;) On the basketball court and in the sack size does matter. What Keady probably meant is that there are things a player can do to make up a couple inch height disadvantage. I think GG is closer to 6-6 however. The Barkley's and Dantley's of the world are the exception not the rule. I hope GG is one of the exceptions.

As a guy who always played center, and often had to guard guys bigger than me, I fully agree with Keady's sentiment. Height is overrated. If you want to turn the discussion towards the ridiculous, there isn't much I can contribute. There are undersized big men who not only can handle the position, but can excel. At the college level, it goes far beyond Barkley and Dantley.

The last quality big man we had here was Tyrone Grant. A guy who maybe reached 6'7. Maybe. But he was a savvy player, who knew how to rebound, and he was comfortable backing his man down or facing up. We haven't seen GG's full arsenal yet, but so far, it looks like he'll be one of the better big guys in the BE, and maybe even the nation.

I'll take GG over Burrell, Coker, Spears, Hamilton, Keita, Diakite, Emanuel and Richardson. All of whom were taller, and many of whom were rated as better prospects.

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

As a guy who always played center, and often had to guard guys bigger than me, I fully agree with Keady's sentiment. Height is overrated. If you want to turn the discussion towards the ridiculous, there isn't much I can contribute. There are undersized big men who not only can handle the position, but can excel. At the college level, it goes far beyond Barkley and Dantley.

The last quality big man we had here was Tyrone Grant. A guy who maybe reached 6'7. Maybe. But he was a savvy player, who knew how to rebound, and he was comfortable backing his man down or facing up. We haven't seen GG's full arsenal yet, but so far, it looks like he'll be one of the better big guys in the BE, and maybe even the nation.

I'll take GG over Burrell, Coker, Spears, Hamilton, Keita, Diakite, Emanuel and Richardson. All of whom were taller, and many of whom were rated as better prospects.

As I Initially stated I am a big fan of GG and I loved Ty Grant. Based off of two games GG has way more physical ability than Grant or anyone else that has been mentioned as smaller centers. The thing is GG is not doing it with savy or being crafty, he is out skilling people. My point is I truly hope this can continue against the better/ BIGGER comp we are going to face. As much as I like him I am not ready to flatly say he can continue to do this against BE teams. I mean he played William and Mary and Lehigh. 

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
As a guy who always played center, and often had to guard guys bigger than me,

Who knew that Poison is actually Wes Unsel?

crgreen

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »

You mean he's only Wes Unseld/Ben Wallace size?

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
Pointer's my guy. Last year at IS8 when Sir Dominic's team was getting killed by a guard he switched to the bomb thrower and shut him down for the rest of the game. As we saw against Lehigh Sir Dominic is a game-changer at the other end of the court and he will be invaluable in the final minutes of any game whose outcome is still in question.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »

That's ridiculous. I'm left handed.

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

That's ridiculous. I'm left handed.

Brad Lohaus?

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
Moe for opening the floodgates as far as recruiting and Amir for never backing off his commitment to SJU after the ncaa news

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
Pointer. I love defensive hustle players.

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
Listen I really like GG and he is clearly not a stiff! My only point is I am curious to see if someone his height can play anywhere near this level against better, taller comp. It is a very valid question and in no way a knock on GG. But I am glad to see people comparing him HOF Wes Unseld after 3 games against awful competition.  ::) Lets let him play a BE game before we clear space for him in Springfield