Who is your new favorite player?

• 74 replies

MCNPA

Re: Who is your new favorite player?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
Listen I really like GG and he is clearly not a stiff! My only point is I am curious to see if someone his height can play anywhere near this level against better, taller comp. It is a very valid question and in no way a knock on GG. But I am glad to see people comparing him HOF Wes Unseld after 3 games against awful competition.  ::) Lets let him play a BE game before we clear space for him in Springfield

Cmon, if you can't see GG can play, regardless of the competition that includes 3 D1 schools, then you haven't seen much basketball.  The guy is double-doubling almost every game.  He's not going to be playing against Superman and the rest if the Justice League once we hit the top 25 games.  Maybe he won't be having doube doubles, but he's still a very capable player.

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Gee, I thought I said I really like him and he clearly isn't a stiff. He is already my favorite SJU big man since Ty Grant. The fact remains that he is undersized and Harkless is more of a 3 than a 4. He is going to go against much better comp. If he can average 11 and 7 in the BE and I think he can he will have had a great season. Some of you are comparing him to HOF'ers after three games against terrible teams.
Look I really like these kids and I think if we can get Gathers and or Pelle and maybe another shooter in the next 2 years this team could be great. The fact is we are going struggle this year. Some of you are setting yourselves up to start bitching and moaning when it really won't be appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:17:57 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
It's a fair question.

If you look at even recent guys numbers like Justin Burrell, Justin Brownlee, Dele Coker, Sean Evans....they all posted better numbers in the beginning of the season. It's natural to beast on guys who are smaller & less athletic. Now I think GG will be able to fair well offensively against other BE bigs but defensively I'm concerned. He will get into foul trouble no matter what and what does St. John's do when that happens?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
Gee, I thought I said I really like him and he clearly isn't a stiff. He is already my favorite SJU big man since Ty Grant. The fact remains that he is undersized and Harkless is more of a 3 than a 4. He is going to go against much better comp. If he can average 11 and 7 in the BE and I think he can he will have had a great season. Some of you are comparing him to HOF'ers after three games against terrible teams.
Look I really like these kids and I think if we can get Gathers and or Pelle and maybe another shooter in the next 2 years this team could be great. The fact is we are going struggle this year. Some of you are setting yourselves up to start bitching and moaning when it really won't be appropriate.

Agree with everything you said

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »

I believe one person mentioned GG in the same breath as Wes Unseld.  I could be wrong, but I believe that was more of the poster actually joking than being serious.  I also believe GG will hold on his own against guys in the conference.  He probably won't dominate like he's currently doing, but I think he'll certainly hold his own.

Quite frankly, most of us know this team is gonna struggle this season, so maybe one of the mods should place a sticky at the top of the board saying such.  It'll save some folks from saying it in each of their posts. 

I bet you the ones who'll start bitching and moaning are already the ones who are bitching and moaning.  I'm not saying you're doing that, but there are some folks who are already on that particular fence.   

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
While I am happy the site is much faster for some reason I can no longer quote an early post so this is in response to MJD. Unseld, Blair, Ben Wallace? The best team the kid has played so far has been Lehigh. All I am saying is I was curious to see how will do against real teams. Remember the opinion of Justin Burrell would change from game to game. All I am was saying was I am CURIOUS to see how he fares against real comp. Some people were acting like I said Chris Mullin was overated.
 As far as bitching goes. Look I hated Norm's teams, the way Geno "played" the point and most of Fordham's posts. So basically since Geno graduated and Norm was canned outside of one minor annoyance I am a pretty happy SJU poster.

sju89tr

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Love them all, but I just love Harrison's attitude. Moe is just getting comfortable and will be much better at the 3 next year. Nuri is the real deal and as the season progresses he will be a big time scorer. GG better than advertised. Dom is a wonderful defender and awesome in open court. Greene is much better than I anticipated and is a great ball handler. FWIW, Stith worked really hard and looks a lot better

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Love them all, but I just love Harrison's attitude. Moe is just getting comfortable and will be much better at the 3 next year. Nuri is the real deal and as the season progresses he will be a big time scorer. GG better than advertised. Dom is a wonderful defender and awesome in open court. Greene is much better than I anticipated and is a great ball handler. FWIW, Stith worked really hard and looks a lot better

This is pretty much how I view things, tr.  I love this entire bunch and I've been pleasantly surprised (and elated) with Stith in the early going.  Hopefully, he (and, the rest of the team for that matter) can continue to give a heckuva effort and productivity as the season progresses.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:23:07 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
"Who knew that Poison is actually Wes Unseld?"

This statement I made compares GG to Wes Unseld?

I guess in some parallel universe or somewhere?

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
CRGREEN did I think you compared GG to Avery Patterson

sju89tr

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »

I liked Avery Patterson, too bad he thought shooting the ball was the only thing to do in basketball

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »

It's obviously too early,  as you yourself have noted, to compare double G with legendary all-time Johnny greats such as Avery "3-point record holder" Patterson.

LJSA

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
It's obviously too early,  as you yourself have noted, to compare double G with legendary all-time Johnny greats such as Avery "3-point record holder" Patterson.

I didn't realize there were two Avery Pattersons in St. John's history. I only knew of the Avery "too much of a pussy to drive the lane" Patterson.

Poison

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »

I think Patterson transferred because he was afraid that Matt Brust was going to kill him.

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »

I didn't realize there were two Avery Pattersons in St. John's history. I only knew of the Avery "too much of a pussy to drive the lane" Patterson.

Why drive the lane when you are the greatest 3-point shooter in the history of Johnny basketball?  Just stand outside and let it rain!