Student Section

• 34 replies

Poison

Student Section
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:46:23 AM »
It was rocking tonight. Keep it up guys.
With such a short roster the 6th man has an even bigger job to do.

Tonight you did it better than I've ever seen it.

Re: Student Section
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »
It was rocking tonight. Keep it up guys.
With such a short roster the 6th man has an even bigger job to do.

Tonight you did it better than I've ever seen it.

Agreed Michael.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »
Loved the student section.  It is incredible how the rest of the arena just sits and watches as the team was making the late run.  No one in my section would stand and cheer---even in the last 2-3 minutes.  I remained standing, hoping the people behind me would be forced to in order to see the action.  Then maybe others would join in.  They just remained seated and stared at my wide ass.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
They made it sound like it was a packed house last night.  My eyes told me differently.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
it seems like the rest of the fans don't even clap when we make a basket. CA would be deafening if everybody got up and cheered

Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
I've received quite a few positive comments from co workers about how well the arena looked on TV.  Imagine thats even with some empties.
Remember who broke the Slice news

derk

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I stand and cheer and yell defense all night but perhaps if the fans didn't have to wedge themselves into those uncomfortable plastic seats with no elbow room, and were able to put a cap on their bottled water so as to make sure it doesn't get knocked over, there would be more enthusiasm for what is actually happening on the floor.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:23:57 AM by derk »

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
Keep it up students!  It is practice for a Sweet 16 run next season :)

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
Everything looked good and sounded even better last night on ESPN2.  Keep it up!
@Coachnice persong

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:34:59 PM »
Students sections are great but we need more students at the games. Have to disagree that rest of crowd was quiet. Me and buddies were on our feet cheering and place got thunderously loud during comeback for a crowd of only 4 thou. Couldn't have been that loud if only the students were cheering.

derk

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »
Students sections are great but we need more students at the games. Have to disagree that rest of crowd was quiet. Me and buddies were on our feet cheering and place got thunderously loud during comeback for a crowd of only 4 thou. Couldn't have been that loud if only the students were cheering.

Yes but the students cheer all the time ( finally). Most of the rest of the crowd waits until something exciting happens like a dunk, steal, or when a rally occurs that leads to a change in the lead. OTOH when the other team makes a great play, hits a tre, takes the lead - the crowd goes silent. This is the time when the team needs the cheers more then ever. Wake up SJU fans. Learn how and when to root for your team. If you're unsure then begin rooting when the game starts and don't stop till it ends.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

The student sections are filled to capacity every game.  Where exactly do you want to put the excess students?

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
If there are empty seats, there is more room for students.
I took 3 people with me to the game who had never been before.

My favorite trivia question is always how many students go to St.John's?

A)2000
B)6000
C)19,000

All 3 guessed 6000 like everyone else does. A school with 19K shouldnt have trouble filling that arena for a men's basketball game. No matter what.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
We're not quite Puke but the kids are coming up with some good material:

"G*d's on our side"

"We want Higgins"  ;D  I like that.

Holding the hands as if in prayer when GG shoots instead of overhead as for everyone else.

Of course Lavinwood.

The ping-pong "We are St. Johns!"

The various uses of "Sucks/You Suck" and "A$$hole" -  not a big fan but at least it sounds spiritied

Back turning during opposing team player introduction.

What else am I missing? 

Our student body fanbase is rising rapidly and developing a bonified culture.  I'm very pleased about it and looking forward to near sold out conference games at Alumni to come. We should have a darn fine home court advantage.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

A)2000
B)6000
C)19,000

All 3 guessed 6000 like everyone else does. A school with 19K shouldnt have trouble filling that arena for a men's basketball game. No matter what.

That's funny because my favorite trivia question to ask at games is how many St. John's alums live in the tri-state area?

A) 40,000
B) 60,000
C) 130,000

How does a school with 130,000 alums within a short driving distance not fill an arena with <6000 seats?  Works both ways.  Maybe instead of hoping more students come to fill up the normal stands you guys should get off your hands at the game and make some noise.  The difference between the regular seats and student section seats is proportional with most schools across the country, yet they don't have a problem filling their gyms with alums and fans.  You guys complained that the student section wasn't filled before, now it's full, time for the regular fans to step up and get out to the games.

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
i actually see a lot of students sitting in the regular seats because they dont want to stand the whole game

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

How does a school with 130,000 alums within a short driving distance not fill an arena with <6000 seats?

Come on.  What a lollipop. That's too easy.

Ans.
1) Losing
2) Losing
3) Scandal and Losing

We are only one year and one month removed from the lowest of lows that were the NR's and "the program destroyer" eras.

The extreme devotion of the average JJ poster it took to attend during the lean and these rebuilding years is the abberation... not the Norm.

If we win...they will come.

*fixed your quote KJD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:31:48 PM by kjd01067 »

derk

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

A)2000
B)6000
C)19,000

I've been saying that for years. Especially since you can't beat their commute to CA

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »
can we get more consistent  chants than just let's go johnnies?

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

A)2000
B)6000
C)19,000

I've been saying that for years. Especially since you can't beat their commute to CA

That 19,000 number includes Staten Island, Rome, Manhattan, commuters, etc.  Only 2500-3000 students actually live on campus.