Texas A&M-Game Thread

• 100 replies

Poison

Re: Texas A&M-Game Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
I don't understand how kob turned a simple criticism of Lindsey not being able to hit foul shots into, "I'll set you up with Lindsey and you can teach him how to shoot FTs."  That's just demeaning on kob's part.  No one here professes to be a coach or an expert.  It is fair to ask that a guard, who is not a freshman (a transfer yes a freshman no) actually be able to hit his FTs.  I look forward to his eventual improvement because he's going to need to in order to think NBA.

Because Kob's response to a fan criticizing a player, is offering a 1 on 1 game with that player. It's a really intelligent response because I'm sure he could make that happen.

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Greene energized the team and was the catalyst in the turnaround.

Nuri is an extraordinary player who will probably share mvp honors with Mo.

Nuri ought to go to the gym and take 500 jump shots a day (à la Mullin) and 500 foul shots. In the immortal words of Marco Baldi he has the makings of a "star."

GG has to jump instead of just reaching up for a rebound. He can do it; I saw it at CA. At MSG he looked like there were lead weights in his sneakers.

boo3

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Never saw so many "fans" accepting moral victories.  You are all disgusting.

Yes, this team showed promise and competed, but Nuri has to hit at least one of those free throws.  To miss both is a disgrace.

look sillywilly,  the majority of posters here have been fans for many years and have stuck with this program during some very lean times.  To come on here and call people "disgusting" because they decided to look at the positive rather than the negative shows you are are pretty much a classless loser.  I think that medium tee shirt is cutting off the circulation to your brain.

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Never saw so many "fans" accepting moral victories.  You are all disgusting.

Yes, this team showed promise and competed, but Nuri has to hit at least one of those free throws.  To miss both is a disgrace.

look sillywilly,  the majority of posters here have been fans for many years and have stuck with this program during some very lean times.  To come on here and call people "disgusting" because they decided to look at the positive rather than the negative shows you are are pretty much a classless loser.  I think that medium tee shirt is cutting off the circulation to your brain.

HAHA! I think Will posted this from Zuccoti Park

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
2 close losses to top 20 teams with all rookies and half of a roster.  Anybody who can't see how good we're goingmtombe wi a few more scholarship players and experience is nuts.  I'm not huge on moral victories ever but we're getting great experience against two teams that are arguably the best in the PAC-12 and Big-12 respectively.  We won't shrink from anybody this year and might even be in position to graze the NCAA's if we get Amir and continue to improve.  Regardless, we have a roster on the brink of a perennial top 15 team.  A big man or two, another PG and a shooter and we're money.

On point MCN.  Hate to lose it this way, but damn are we going to be NASTY next year!

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
A win against kentucky will put us right back on track. ;)

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:05 AM »
2 close losses to top 20 teams with all rookies and half of a roster.  Anybody who can't see how good we're goingmtombe wi a few more scholarship players and experience is nuts.  I'm not huge on moral victories ever but we're getting great experience against two teams that are arguably the best in the PAC-12 and Big-12 respectively.  We won't shrink from anybody this year and might even be in position to graze the NCAA's if we get Amir and continue to improve.  Regardless, we have a roster on the brink of a perennial top 15 team.  A big man or two, another PG and a shooter and we're money.

On point MCN.  Hate to lose it this way, but damn are we going to be NASTY next year!

If we can improve our foul shooting, we may just be.

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
I blame Hollywood.  What's he doing calling Nuri over to talk right before he takes the FT's?  That's not normal routine.  Nuri also shouldn't have entertained a conversation with an A and M player right before.  It's better to back away to the top of the key and not come to the line till the ref is ready to put the ball at your disposal.

What's not to like about a team that rarely takes the outside shot and has 7 players that fearlessly attack the rim for 40 minutes with reckless abandon?  We don't even set screens.  Just spread the floor to create gaps and take defenders to the hole.  Darn good entertainment!

We're in the bonus early every single half of ball.  I love it!

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Carmine, I know you were half joking but I thought that was a pretty odd thing for Lavin to do as well.

KOB. Nuri is my favorite player on this years team but it is going to be tough to get to where he wants to be as a player if he can't make 70% of his FT'S. He also would benefit if he could develop a little tear drop shot. 

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
Carmine, I know you were half joking but I thought that was a pretty odd thing for Lavin to do as well.

Not joking.  Don't ice your own players prior to the biggest two free throws of their young lives.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:21:45 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
What's not to like about a team that rarely takes the outside shot and has 7 players that fearlessly attack the rim for 40 minutes with reckless abandon?  We don't even set screens.  Just spread the floor to create gaps and take defenders to the hole.  Darn good entertainment!

We're in the bonus early every single half of ball.  I love it!

LOL  This is funny, but pretty much on point.  Imagine, once we get to the point of hitting about 70% of our free throws as a team.  We're gonna punish the opposition at the line. 

ras

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »
If the team doesnt start making outside shots, the opposition will clog up the middle and this could be a long year.

jr49

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »

Not joking.  Don't ice your own players prior to the biggest two free throws of their young lives.
No need to get back on D with 2 sec left. I figured Steve was telling Nuri to follow 2ed shot if missed. What else could it be?

Foad

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »

It worked in Hoosiers.

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
I keep thinking about the difference Sampson, Pelle & Garrett would have made the past two nights.

What do you expect down (3) scholarship players perhaps the entire season before the season ever began.  We're always up against it or so it seems.  We never have an edge.  LIKE THE SAYING GOES "IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING" and it's been that way for what seems like an eternity now for this basketball program.  We finally put together a great recruiting class in what seemed like decades and 3 of them never qualify.  "But of course"...

Another 1 point loss...

this is the mess norm left us with, plain and simple.  i'm sorry to bring it up again.  how can anyone be expected to fill nine spots in one year with outstanding players while taking no risks?  we have guys who do some things well but can't rebound or hit free throws.  with a full compliment, the coaches could put in free throw shooters at the end.  they're not here yet.

these are exciting players to watch...but there's NO WAY we can compete against top 20 talent night in and night out  with six players.  i have confidence this coaching staff can bring this undermanned team to the nit. 

the two losses at the garden were demoralizing because we would have won them with more than half a team. 

ras

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
Look at it this way, think how much exp. these 6 players will get this year, and how good they will be next year.

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »

It worked in Hoosiers.

I was thinking the same thing but Hackman had called a full timeout and Hollywood just awkwardly pulled him off the line and had him come over for a few words of wisdom.

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
The A & M player was standing on the foul line.  Lavin probably just wanted to pull him away from that.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »
I love the Hoosiers reference but the problem is Ollie was a much better free throw shooter than Nuri.  :)

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
I love the Hoosiers reference but the problem is Ollie was a much better free throw shooter than Nuri.  :)

I love the Rick Barry FT style.  I wish that would make a come back.