What we learned from CVC

• 65 replies
What we learned from CVC
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
two tough losses for our young johnnies.
what we learned.

1.Moe is a stud and is only going to get better. hes been this good through 5 games (15 pts 7 rebs) while shooting 43% from the field 58% from the line and 15%! from 3. Once his shot picks up hell be tremendous

2. Phil Greene is going to be really good.  Kid is determined, fearless and has maybe the best looking shot on the team.

3. Deangelo is the emotional leader of the team. Hes got fire and flash and can hit from the line.

4. Nuri can go coast to coast as well as anyone. Hes just missing a jumper. badly.

5. GG is not the same player against good competition. Lets just hope hes not as bad as he showed the last two days.

6. Dom his D never wavers, if hes offense comes around hell be special. If he sures up his handle hell be able to go by anyone he wants.

7. stith has been steady. Like him off the ball much better than at the point.

I think well see this team come along similarly to last years team, and hopefully the addition of garrett will help with rebounding, foul trouble, and fatigue. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: What we learned from CVC
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
Good assessment...... you just forgot to mention that the foul shooting is horrendous, for any team at almost any level.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
One last observation, despite the losses these kids should now know they can play with anyone.  They aere only going to get better with time and coaching.  Good luck!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
One last observation, despite the losses these kids should now know they can play with anyone.  They aere only going to get better with time and coaching.  Good luck!!!

I beg to differ. I think we get beat up in Big East play

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »

Agree, and not just by the so called elite teams.  We are far too thin on numbers and experience to make an impact in the Big East this year.  I am very concerned about God's Gift's play as of late.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »

If these two games showed anything, they showed us that we can most certainly handle BE play. Either one of these games could have gone either way.
If Zona dunked at will, and beat us by 45 like Maryland did in 06--07, yea, I'd assume we'd be terrible, like we were in 06-07.

They need experience. That is their biggest weakness.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »

If these two games showed anything, they showed us that we can most certainly handle BE play. Either one of these games could have gone either way.
If Zona dunked at will, and beat us by 45 like Maryland did in 06--07, yea, I'd assume we'd be terrible, like we were in 06-07.

St Johns will hold their own against teams like Providence, Seton Hall, West VA. Teams like UConn,Louisville,Cuse,Pitt,Maruette,Cincy are double digit loses imo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »

St Johns will hold their own against teams like Providence, Seton Hall, West VA. Teams like UConn,Louisville,Cuse,Pitt,Maruette,Cincy are double digit loses imo

That is what some people thought in the early going of last season.  We all saw how that turned out.  I'm not saying there is gonna be a repeat of last season, but you never know how things will shape up in a couple of months.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
Been sayin since last year that this team was gonna take some lumps. Figured they'd get theyselves blown out against some elite comp.

Silver lining is this: They play awful against A&M and was still 2 FTs away from a Top 20 win.

What that say? 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »

That is what some people thought in the early going of last season.  We all saw how that turned out.  I'm not saying there is gonna be a repeat of last season, but you never know how things will shape up in a couple of months.

Like you said. tons of "experience" on last years squad which also went 9-10 deep

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
Been sayin since last year that this team was gonna take some lumps. Figured they'd get theyselves blown out against some elite comp.

Silver lining is this: They play awful against A&M and was still 2 FTs away from a Top 20 win.

What that say? 

Loss is a loss, no matter by 20 or by 1. That game was far from a moral victory. Next year will be our year

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

Like you said. tons of "experience" on last years squad which also went 9-10 deep

True.  They were more experienced, but you also gain experience each time out.  I'm not one for moral victories, but our guys played like garbage (for the most part) on yesterday and still had a chance to beat a more experienced top 20 team.

If Garrett and Cummings come along next month then we'll also be able to go deeper with the bench.  I'm just not one who'll make a prognostication to whom we will lose or not lose to in November.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »
Baldi, this is the pre season. It's almost meaningless. These games are intended to get us ready.
This squad is further along than I expected. If they can add Garrett, and he's ready to play, they will be better than I originally predicted. Greene is a player, and Harkless has really impressed me.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »

True.  They were more experienced, but you also gain experience each time out.  I'm not one for moral victories, but our guys played like garbage (for the most part) on yesterday and still had a chance to beat a more experienced top 20 team.

If Garrett and Cummings come along next month then we'll also be able to go deeper with the bench.  I'm just not one who'll make a prognostication to whom we will lose or not lose to in November.

Yes, add 2 more inexperienced players to the mix

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
Baldi, this is the pre season. It's almost meaningless. These games are intended to get us ready.
This squad is further along than I expected. If they can add Garrett, and he's ready to play, they will be better than I originally predicted. Greene is a player, and Harkless has really impressed me.

Meaningless? Tell that to Nuri. Hopefully he feels differently. To make any noise this season, the guards need to get under control. Nuri and Harrison at this moment are nowhere near that point imo. Both need to learn how to pass

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »

So, what?!  One of 'em is a top 60 player and the other was a guy who had offers from mid-majors.  Just because one is inexperienced doesn't mean they can't help.  If, that was the case then what's the use of playing freshmen or inexperienced players.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »

So, what?!  One of 'em is a top 60 player and the other was a guy who had offers from mid-majors.  Just because one is inexperienced doesn't mean they can't help.  If, that was the case then what's the use of playing freshmen or inexperienced players.

Its not like your adding 2 players to a veteran squad. Garrett should just sit out the year, save the eligibility
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:43:54 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »

What that say?
Sometimes you have to be suspect of early season rankings. Do we know for sure A&M is top 25 team. Also they were missing their best player from what I heard. Just saying. Let's see what we do vs Kentucky, Duke, Uconn, Cuse, Ville and the like to see where we really stack up against legitimately ranked teams. Hope we fare well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:49:55 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
My expectation was low to begin wit.

Got even lower after the three inel's.

Just puttin it into perspective is all. 

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »
My expectation was low to begin wit.

Got even lower after the three inel's.

Just puttin it into perspective is all.