What we learned from CVC

• 65 replies

Poison

Re: What we learned from CVC
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Im, Presbyterian College???

Is the worst loss in BE history? It just might be. Where is this school?

It's in Clinton, SC (about 60-65 miles from my neck-of-the-woods).  A very, small town right outside the upstate area (Greenville-Spartanburg) of South Carolina.  It's also known as "PC" around these parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian_College

Sounds like a fine institution of higher learning. Thank you for filing me in.

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
Ok we should have closed the game out with ft...i will say this down 12 in the second half, this team showed exgreme patience on offense. Didnt rush any shots and eventually worked themselves back in the game vs a&m. That alone shows this team is far beyond their years....

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
I coldly even tell you where the nearest Presbyterian church was let alone that college

Why coldy?
spelling error. Should have been " couldnt "

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »
Ok we should have closed the game out with ft...i will say this down 12 in the second half, this team showed exgreme patience on offense. Didnt rush any shots and eventually worked themselves back in the game vs a&m. That alone shows this team is far beyond their years....

Or far beyond other team's talent?

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »

Or far beyond other team's talent?

No. Not yet.

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
I stand by what I said. It's meaningless.

If you win the CVC, and you get pounded in the BE, you don't dance. We lost to Fordham and to the Bonnies last year. What did it mean? Allow me to answer the question for you. Nothing.

The point of the pre season is to get ready for real one.

And by the way, Cinci just lost to some team I've never even heard of. Are they done?

For starters, these aren't "pre-season" games as you would like to call them. They actually have meaning and count towards our record. Some early season games are taken into consideration for Bubble teams looking to get into the tourney. 

-If you call the BE season the 'real' season, and the CVC games just a meaningless pre-season, what about the games at Kentucky and Duke?  The Kentucky game is before BE play starts, so I guess that game doesn't really mean much either, since its before the real season starts.

-How have you never heard of Presbyterian College?  I know its not the most popular or publicized college out there, but its not like it just opened like a few years ago or something....

As for what this thread is about:

I believe Dennis Green said it best..."They are who we thought they were!!"...........A young, inexperienced team that has all the talent and potential in the world. A team that will have many ups and downs throughout the season, but will definitely be fun to watch!!!

You seriously heard of Presbyterian College????  It's like their first year in D1.

Um yes I have heard of Presbyterian College.  If you were any type of college basketball fan you would know that Presbyterian is who Duke just beat to allow Coach K to tie Bobby Kright's record. 

Moose

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

If you win the CVC, and you get pounded in the BE, you don't dance. We lost to Fordham and to the Bonnies last year. What did it mean? Allow me to answer the question for you. Nothing.

And by the way, Cinci just lost to some team I've never even heard of. Are they done?

For starters, these aren't "pre-season" games as you would like to call them. They actually have meaning and count towards our record. Some early season games are taken into consideration for Bubble teams looking to get into the tourney. 

-If you call the BE season the 'real' season, and the CVC games just a meaningless pre-season, what about the games at Kentucky and Duke?  The Kentucky game is before BE play starts, so I guess that game doesn't really mean much either, since its before the real season starts.

-How have you never heard of Presbyterian College?  I know its not the most popular or publicized college out there, but its not like it just opened like a few years ago or something....

I believe Dennis Green said it best..."They are who we thought they were!!"...........A young, inexperienced team that has all the talent and potential in the world. A team that will have many ups and downs throughout the season, but will definitely be fun to watch!!!

You seriously heard of Presbyterian College????  It's like their first year in D1.

Um yes I have heard of Presbyterian College.  If you were any type of college basketball fan you would know that Presbyterian is who Duke just beat to allow Coach K to tie Bobby Kright's record. 

Wow

Ok and a week prior to that your going to seriously tell me you knew who they were?

Be serious.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Presbyterian College. Duke University. You can't say one without immediately thinking of the other.

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »

Wow

Ok and a week prior to that your going to seriously tell me you knew who they were?

Be serious.

Yes I did

Moose

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »

Wow

Be serious.

Yes I did

Impressive. 
I'm am curious what you knew about them prior to making history with Duke.  Because its not like they have many recognizable characteristics.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
Nuri takes an absolute beating when he drives to the hole. Does this kid have the body to last a full season like this? Seems like every other play someones is picking him off the court. I look so forward to this season just to see these kids develop and get better. We have a great staff and these kids will improve individually and as a unit.

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Gods Gift is going to struggle in the BE with fouls and finishing at the basket. I predict you see a lot of small Nova like lineups when we play in the BE.

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
Gods Gift is going to struggle in the BE with fouls and finishing at the basket. I predict you see a lot of small Nova like lineups when we play in the BE.

GG is too soft. I am disappointed with the lack of aggression he's played with. He shies away from contact under the glass way too much.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
Dave
I think the jump up in skill and size affected him the most. I think he will be ok once he adjusts but the people he will be playing now are as skilled and bigger than him so he will need to adjust. I think it was a huge reality check for him. I still think he will be fine just might not be as good as most on here were hoping.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
Let's see how GG adjusts. He's played against elite competition now twice in his life.

ras

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
If he doesnt adjust he will be playing back up when Amir gets here. Time will tell.

DFF6

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »

GG is too soft. I am disappointed with the lack of aggression he's played with. He shies away from contact under the glass way too much.

I think GG is still learning to compete with high skill level bigs, so we should give him more time before anyone passes judgment on his agressiveness (or lack thereof).  Besides, we cannot afford GG to be too agressive if it results in more fouls.   

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
I thought GG looked tired, actually. Didn't play with the same energy... would like to see how he comes out against St. Francis. Notice that the staff sat Gift for longer stretches than usual?

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
I was not disappointed in his scoring or defense.

But very down on GG's rebounding the last 2 games. 5 rebs in 58 minutes.
Molloy '71

ras

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »
Im not saying it will continue, but is scoring too was dissapointing