Kentucky - Predictions

• 57 replies
Re: Kentucky - Predictions
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Geez the pessimism is borderline disgusting.  Some of you are acting like Dunlap killed your puppy at the Northeastern game.

LOL  Some posters routinely act in that manner. 

I watched the UK Kansas game with a diehard Kentucky fan that used to coach Ty Edmondson in high school.  He was not thrilled with what he saw.  They are extremely talented but they are flawed.  They looked lost out there at times and the half court offense wasn't very good.  Anthony Davis tries to block everything around him and we have a roster of kids that are fearless at attacking the tin and drawing contact. That has to be the focus.

If this squad can make fts and open threes while protecting the ball, they can hang with anyone.  I'm not convinced that Davis is that much better than Harkless. 

Maybe we lose by 30 but if you guys don't think Cal is preaching how dangerous and talented this Johnnies squad is...you are nuts.  There is nothing in basketball more dangerous than a team that can attack off the dribble.

I also watched their game versus Kansas, and bits and pieces of a few of their other games.  Marist hung with 'em until the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 1st half.  You could see some of their flaws in that particular game, as well.  I watched several minutes (of the 2nd half) of their game versus Old Dominion, in which ODU gave 'em a pretty tough game.  Once again, you saw some of their flaws.

The thing is they are less flawed than us and can better camaflouge their flaws due to their overall talent and depth.  Unfortunately, this is the first time in a couple of years that I think we're gonna get hammered.  But, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we were to hang tough and give UK a fight.  The only thing that would surprise me would be a win for our Johnnies.  Although, I'm definitely wishing and hoping for a win. 

One thing that could possibly play into our favor is UK usually plays man.  Hopefully, we'll attack the rack (as, usual) and hit our free throws.  Hey, folks....  We have nothing to lose and may actually play very loose.         
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:14:07 AM by mjdinkins »

boo3

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
  Game Day Baby!

I've changed my tune.   We will shock the world!

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
When Nuri penetrates, Davis wil step over and look for the block. Hopefully Lindsay will find a way to dish to Moe and GG for layups. Otherwise, Davis will be batting balls into the student section all night
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:43:18 AM by Marco Baldi »

Foad

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
Marist hung with 'em until the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 1st half.  You could see some of their flaws in that particular game, as well.flaws.

So before losing by a mere 50 points Marist hung with UK nearly as long as SJ hung with Northeastern. That certainly bodes well.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
Yep.  That'd be like losing to the Bonnies and Fordam, then turning around and DRUBBING Duke and UCONN.   And doing it with LESS talented players.   NEVER HAPPEN.

Last year's team would beat this year's team by 40 points.

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
Marist hung with 'em until the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 1st half.  You could see some of their flaws in that particular game, as well.flaws.

So before losing by a mere 50 points Marist hung with UK nearly as long as SJ hung with Northeastern. That certainly bodes well.

LOL  My bad.  Flaws could be seen in the first half of their game, was my intent, versus Marist.  A better team could've taken better advantage.  I think you knew that, but just wanted to place your usual spin and twist on matters.     

Foad

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
LOL  My bad.  Flaws could be seen in the first half of their game, was my intent, versus Marist.  A better team could've taken better advantage.  I think you knew that, but just wanted to place your usual spin and twist on matters.     

Yes my usual spin and twist. Unlike the hero worshipping Pollyanna in rose colored glasses perspective you have. I'm sorry, did I say hero worshipping Pollyanna in rose colored glasses? I meant objective, obviously. You are very objective.

So anyway, tell me more about the flaws that were exposed in the first half of the first game that UK played that they only won by 50. I would have thought that in the first half of the first game of the season UK would have executed every facet of the game perfectly.

One thing that bodes well for this season: evidently SJ is the only team that will improve, whereas all these other teams will be frozen in time, like bugs in amber, in the first half of the first game of the season. If so by March SJ may well be better than all these other teams were in November. 

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
Marillac are you insane? The fact that we are going to get killed 96 to 64 is not a negative about the team, coaching or anything else. This is a young, small team with no bench. We are playing the number 1 team on the road coming off a double digit loss to a mid major. Hopefully this will be one of the many learning experiences that help this team next season and going forward.

redslope

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
Our lads are still early in their career and still learning.  this is too early in the season to expect any upsets.  remember how long it took a team of Seniors to "get it" last year.  There will be good effort tonight but not enough punch to stop Calapari's team (this year)

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »

Yes my usual spin and twist. Unlike the hero worshipping Pollyanna in rose colored glasses perspective you have. I'm sorry, did I say hero worshipping Pollyanna in rose colored glasses? I meant objective, obviously. You are very objective.

Actually, I am objective.  So, thanks for being observant.

So anyway, tell me more about the flaws that were exposed in the first half of the first game that UK played that they only won by 50. I would have thought that in the first half of the first game of the season UK would have executed every facet of the game perfectly.

Per usual, "Google" is your best friend, as I seriously doubt you knew that was UK's first game of the season.  By the way, UK still isn't flawless in their execution.  They are very talented and deep, if you didn't know.  Maybe, "Google" won't tell you such.

One thing that bodes well for this season: evidently SJ is the only team that will improve, whereas all these other teams will be frozen in time, like bugs in amber, in the first half of the first game of the season. If so by March SJ may well be better than all these other teams were in November.

The Price is Right losing horn

Foad

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »

My bad. See, being observant, I noticed that you often describe yourself as optimistic

"I'm one of the more optimistic guys on the board"

"I'm usually pretty optimistic"

"I'm one of those optimistic posters"

and since optimistic is just about as far from objective as you can get I assumed that you were being optimistic here as well. Whereas here you evidently stopped being optimistic and were instead being all like completely objective and stuff. Which is why I got confused. However I'm happy to stipulate that you were just being unrealistic before when you said you were among the most optimistic posters on the board and are instead all objective and whatnot when it suits you. So noted.

Per usual, "Google" is your best friend, as I seriously doubt you knew that was UK's first game of the season.  By the way, UK still isn't flawless in their execution.  They are very talented and deep, if you didn't know.  Maybe, "Google" won't tell you such

Well yes, I did go look at the box score and in fact I often check things using the interwebs when I hear some nimrod make a preposterous statement. I say to myself, self, that can't be right and then I check what actually happened. Because I don't like to talk out my ass. Oh sure, I know it doesn't bother most posters, but I like to know facts and truth and stuff, because I don't like looking like a chowderhead. So in this case when I read the absurd statement that Marist had exposed UK's flaws by keeping things close in the first half I did in fact go look at the box score, which revealed that the first half in which Marist exposed UK was in fact the first organized half of basketball UK had played since last years final four and that they had gone on to win the game by 50 points, which tends to show that the first half of the Marist game didn't expose anything. Which googled facts rendered your vague impressions of the Marist game pretty much meaningless, which I helpfully pointed out.

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »

My bad. See, being observant, I noticed that you often describe yourself as optimistic

"I'm one of the more optimistic guys on the board"

"I'm usually pretty optimistic"

"I'm one of those optimistic posters"

and since optimistic is just about as far from objective as you can get I assumed that you were being optimistic here as well. Whereas here you evidently stopped being optimistic and were instead being all like completely objective and stuff. Which is why I got confused. However I'm happy to stipulate that you were just being unrealistic before when you said you were among the most optimistic posters on the board and are instead all objective and whatnot when it suits you. So noted.

Nice try, Mr. Narcissist.

Well yes, I did go look at the box score and in fact I often check things using the interwebs when I hear some nimrod make a preposterous statement. I say to myself, self, that can't be right and then I check what actually happened. Because I don't like to talk out my ass. Oh sure, I know it doesn't bother most posters, but I like to know facts and truth and stuff, because I don't like looking like a chowderhead. So in this case when I read the absurd statement that Marist had exposed UK's flaws by keeping things close in the first half I did in fact go look at the box score, which revealed that the first half in which Marist exposed UK was in fact the first organized half of basketball UK had played since last years final four and that they had gone on to win the game by 50 points, which tends to show that the first half of the Marist game didn't expose anything. Which googled facts rendered your vague impressions of the Marist game pretty much meaningless, which I helpfully pointed out.

I already knew you had gone back to look at the box score.  You usually go back to check out things basketball-related because you don't know nothing about it.  Secondly, you are an ass, which is worse than "talking out of your ass."  Essentially, you end up talking out of your ass when all is said and done.  You are around for sh*ts and giggles.  Nothing more.   

If you had any knowledge of the game then you would understand that a better team could've possibly taken advantage of UK's first half play.  Since Marist wasn't up to snuff then UK's first half play never mattered at the end.  I was stating, if Kentucky were to play in a similiar fashion versus us then it could put us in a position to be closer than some might expect.     

ris

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Two of our weakness are the rebound and the three point shots.

Kentucky averages 43.7 rebounds per game (2nd best in the nation) and shoots .411 from the three point line.

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
Two of our weakness are the rebound and the three point shots.

Kentucky averages 43.7 rebounds per game (2nd best in the nation) and shoots .411 from the three point line.

I had already told myself that we're probably gonna get manhandled on the boards.  We gotta find a way to minimize their second chances, if they aren't consistently hitting from the outside.

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
Here is a prediction that I can gaurantee (I know the lawyers and Financial Advsiors on this board are saying there is no such thing ;-D). More than 75% of the regular posters on this board will be watching the game tonight.  :D

All joking aside, I know it's slightly off topic but is anyone watching the game somewhere in Queens? I am looking for a new place to go to.   

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
73-68 St. Johns. kitty cats go 3-20 from 3 pt range...It is the season!

WE ARE!!! ST. JOHN'S!!!

We get blown out at home versus North least ern but we are going to beat Kentucky on the road?   OK  :2funny:  :2funny:   :2funny:   :2funny:

Not at all.  That team had experienced players.  If you knew the game, you would know there is a difference. ::)

Yep.  That'd be like losing to the Bonnies and Fordam, then turning around and DRUBBING Duke and UCONN.   And doing it with LESS talented players.   NEVER HAPPEN.

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
UK 81 STJ 65

Think it will be close for a while but there depth and height will hurt us, hoping i'm wrong though
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:17:52 PM by Redstormy80 »

dR3w

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »