Amir

• 43 replies
Amir
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
I'm now hoping this guy is a cross between the Great White Night and Mighty Mouse.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:27:55 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Amir
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
I'm now hoping this good is a cross between the Great White Night and Mighty Mouse.
Are you on hallucinogenics? ???

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
my read is he's no better or worse than the others.  he'll provide some quality minutes that should help...but don't look for a huge turnaround..

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
my read is he's no better or worse than the others.  he'll provide some quality minutes that should help...but don't look for a huge turnaround..

Newsie is right.  I've seen a bit of Amir.  Amir is a very athletic wing, but is young and needs work. I wouldn't say he's raw, but he's a bit like Postell starting his career.  Don't expect a scorer extraordinaire off thhe bat. He's going to help our depth for sure but he's not ready yet to come in and light it up. 

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
agreed with mcn pa. i hope people arent looking for garrett to be some sort of savior, i've seen him play quite a bit including live at IS8. he brings some good things to the table and we desperately need another body but i don't expect him to come in and just light it up.

positives: probably will be the best athlete on the team right away. he can absolutely sky and is very active with a good IQ. for some reason robbins listed him as 6'8 in his article this morning but he looked to be a legit 6'6", much bigger in person than it looked on TV.  another advantage for us is that he played down low A LOT for Findlay. he should be able to use that athleticism for defensive rebounds. he is a willing defender who can block shots, a pretty good passer overall and a good decision maker on the break. he will finish.

negatives: outside shot needs a lot of work. he makes some but dont be shocked to see a few airballs, hopefully he's been working hard on this. definitely needs to tighten up his handle. not a great one on one creator at this point.

im excited to get him on board, the extra body will help us a lot and i think he'll help our lack of size more than people might expect with his experience down low and athleticism to rebound and block shots

Poison

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
If he's anything like Postell he'll hustle on d.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
No one is saying he is a savior...but the extra body will help.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
If he's anything like Postell he'll hustle on d.

Queens finest is on point.  He's a good sized wing with excellent athleticism.  He's a very willing defender, rebounder and is great on the break.  He has a great first step if he's going left to drive baseline, but needs work on his handle with both hands and his shooting touch.  He can make shots but isn't a shooter at this point.  As we know though, he's as hard a worker as Sir'Dom and will offer much of the same as Dom does.  Big, athletic wing but needs seasoning with his skill set.   He can go off in some games though.   His rebounding will add a lot to this team this season.

Finest is right about his height.  Probably 6'6"/ 6'7" or so.  Bigger than I thought originally. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:41:37 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
I honestly wonder if the men's team would out rebound the girl's team

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
All I'm hoping for is an extra athletic player with long term upside who when he gets here takes pressure off the other players so they don't worry about getting in foul trouble and can play more aggressive on defense therefore just by that he makes everyone better

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
I would like to point out that the addition of Amir (and hopefully Cummings) will add an extra person which should allow the team to play more aggressive on D. This should allow us to possibly play more man on man and press defenses which should help the team a lot on offense. I think we have all seen how a simple fast break basket can turn around someone who has been slumping on offense.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:27:59 AM »
I'm now hoping this good is a cross between the Great White Night and Mighty Mouse.
Are you on hallucinogenics? ???

No.  I'm currently on a toxic mix of Scotch, barbituates and cannibinoids.  Not surprised you would think that however; as my Hunter Thompsonesque gonzo journalistic posting style might naturally lead one to assume that.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
Thanks to all those that provided a knowledgeable and  insiteful preview of Amir's game.  The ability to anylize the merits of our recruits before they play for us is not a particular strong point of my posting. 

Come to think of it - I'm not sure what the strong point of my posting is - or if I even possess a strong point.   :-\

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »
When do we find out?

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
Is he back for Fordham? Texas PA?

None of you insiders know?

Moose

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »

He can't play Fordham game because STJ semester is still in session.  The first game he can play is Tex Pan Am.

Amir tweeted his finals start today.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJU85

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »

He can't play Fordham game because STJ semester is still in session.  The first game he can play is Tex Pan Am.

Amir tweeted his finals start today.

He must get the required grades in his courses and then go through the Clearinghouse before he can enroll.  Knowing where he was short on, it should not take the Clearinghouse long to give a yea or nay.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

The clearinghouse can be slow.  Hopefully,  the fact that this is not peak season and that this is high level D1 ball makes them move faster than what I've seen.

PIB

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
Thanks guys.

The clearinghouse can be slow.  Hopefully,  the fact that this is not peak season and that this is high level D1 ball makes them move faster than what I've seen.

Don't get your hopes too high.

I'm a HUGE Hurricanes football fan, and the clearinghouse has never been nice to the program.

I never expect anything to be done quickly when the clearinghouse is involved.

Hopefully you are right.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Don't get your hopes too high.

I'm a HUGE Hurricanes football fan, and the clearinghouse has never been nice to the program.

I never expect anything to be done quickly when the clearinghouse is involved.

Hopefully you are right.

Im sure theyll move quickly over the Christmas break.