Amir

• 43 replies

PIB

Re: Amir
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

The clearinghouse can be slow.  Hopefully,  the fact that this is not peak season and that this is high level D1 ball makes them move faster than what I've seen.

Don't get your hopes too high.

I'm a HUGE Hurricanes football fan, and the clearinghouse has never been nice to the program.

I never expect anything to be done quickly when the clearinghouse is involved.

Hopefully you are right.

Im sure theyll move quickly over the Christmas break.

;D That just makes things worse.

Truth is, I am not expecting Amir to come in and make a monster difference from the jump. He can be serviceable by providing us with another body, scoring a few points, and grabbing a few boards. I'll be content with that.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

The clearinghouse can be slow.  Hopefully,  the fact that this is not peak season and that this is high level D1 ball makes them move faster than what I've seen.

Don't get your hopes too high.

I'm a HUGE Hurricanes football fan, and the clearinghouse has never been nice to the program.

I never expect anything to be done quickly when the clearinghouse is involved.

Hopefully you are right.

Im sure theyll move quickly over the Christmas break.

;D That just makes things worse.

Truth is, I am not expecting Amir to come in and make a monster difference from the jump. He can be serviceable by providing us with another body, scoring a few points, and grabbing a few boards. I'll be content with that.

Maybe we'l get a miracle and we'll find out something by next September

NYCoffey

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »

AdamZagoria Amir Garrett slated to come to #stjbb today but won't suit up until eligible
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:20:38 PM by NYCoffey »

Poison

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
He is expected to be cleared by the NCAA on March 15th.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
He is expected to be cleared by the NCAA on March 15th.

Of what year?

Moose

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
http://ballastv.com/profiles/blogs/amir-garrett-turns-down-1-millon-mlb-contract-and-is-headed-to-st

I don't think this is correct at all.  He was talking on Twitter about going to training camp in June the other day.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Yeah. It looks like Amir corrected them after the article was put out

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@
@BallasTV oh yeah i do still play baseball I'm signed to the Reds i just don't play right now i go to training camp in june

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
I've read he's a Dom Pointer clone, without the "elite" defensive skills....would that be accurate? 

And when I say Dom clone, I'm assuming they mean he has an average handle, and average outside shot but his athleticism elevates his game a ton.  I'm guessing he'll score but it won't be pretty....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:36:29 PM by IllWill »

Poison

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
I've read he's a Dom Pointer clone, without the "elite" defensive skills....would that be accurate? 

And when I say Dom clone, I'm assuming they mean he has an average handle, and average outside shot but his athleticism elevates his game a ton.  I'm guessing he'll score but it won't be pretty....

That sounds like Lavor Postell. Let's hope.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »

He can knock down a 3 from the corner.  He's more refined than Dom.  Dom has more potential.  Defensively he is very good as well but probably a tick below Dom.  His handle I recall as being better than Dom.

He's a Top 100 player.  We know what were getting in terms of talent out of guys Lavin recruits.

MCNPA

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

He can knock down a 3 from the corner.  He's more refined than Dom.  Dom has more potential.  Defensively he is very good as well but probably a tick below Dom.  His handle I recall as being better than Dom.

He's a Top 100 player.  We know what were getting in terms of talent out of guys Lavin recruits.

Moose is pretty close with that.  Fantastic athlete.  Good rebounder and even blocks shots well.  He's good at being in the right spot around the glass for putbacks and missed shots.  Knows his space in the court very well, just doesn't own it with his handle nor skills just yet.  I'd call him a little bit raw like Dom, but as many can see, Dom offers us in a lot of areas even though he needs work.  Amir is not a clone of Dom but similar types of motor and both have some real good traits and others they need to work on.

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Id call him a more athletic DJ coming out of high school. Maybe more inside oriented than DJ but they are built and move around similar to each other.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
 poor man's Tayshaun Prince?   Just throwing that out there. 

Moose

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
poor man's Tayshaun Prince?   Just throwing that out there. 

Not 'that' good of a shooter.

And when I think of Tayshaun I see a stiff player in some ways.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:53:45 PM by Moose »

desco80

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
Moose - you say you remember Amri having a better handle than Dom?   Just checking because a lot of the scouting reports say Amir has no right hand whatsoever.  I've never seen him in person, but if he has Dom's ball-handling skills, that's more than I was expecting. 

As we get into BE play we're going to have to cut down on turnovers if we want to keep games close enough to have a chance at the end. 

Moose

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Moose - you say you remember Amri having a better handle than Dom?   Just checking because a lot of the scouting reports say Amir has no right hand whatsoever.  I've never seen him in person, but if he has Dom's ball-handling skills, that's more than I was expecting. 

As we get into BE play we're going to have to cut down on turnovers if we want to keep games close enough to have a chance at the end. 

He might not have a right hand but he knows his limitations.  Dom doesnt yet when it comes to ball handling.  He tries to slice defenses and split double teams in transition.  Maybe better handle is the wrong terminology.  I feel better with ball in his hands I guess.

Our turnovers have been the one thing that has bugged me this year really.  I can get over the rebounding taking time to come together and shooting from outside struggling.  The TO's piss me off.  We've had a couple stretches of like 3 in a row and its mind numbing how many travels we have had.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
I wish the offense involved more passing and less dribbling.  The ball moves so much faster that way.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

He might not have a right hand but he knows his limitations.  Dom doesnt yet when it comes to ball handling.  He tries to slice defenses and split double teams in transition.  Maybe better handle is the wrong terminology.  I feel better with ball in his hands I guess.

Our turnovers have been the one thing that has bugged me this year really.  I can get over the rebounding taking time to come together and shooting from outside struggling.  The TO's piss me off.  We've had a couple stretches of like 3 in a row and its mind numbing how many travels we have had.

The turnovers have truly been brutal.  How many times can GG dribble off his foot in one game?  Obviously it's not just him, but that's one example.  The travels and charges are piling up as well.   Nuri contributed to that quite a bit too.

But it's good to hear you think Amir knows his skill set.  And yes, that makes sense, even if he isn't the best ball handler yet

Moose

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
I wish the offense involved more passing and less dribbling.  The ball moves so much faster that way.

The ball movement has been a positive comment from almost everyone I've heard from.  Your one of the first to say otherwise.  Unfortunately because of the limited bodies they have to take the air out of the ball for 25 seconds each possession.