Who steps up for St. John's?

• 41 replies
Who steps up for St. John's?
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
I think Moe Harkless needs to step up from 15 to 20ppg and 7 reb to 10. Is it asking a lot. Sure is but I think he's capable of it.

Secondly who is the next guy who steps up? Harrison? Pointer? Greene?

Lets share our thoughts on the topic.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Who steps up for St. John's?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
I know he was put into a tough spot here but Dunlap needs to do better here. I am not talking wins an losses but in preparing the kids fo next season both in terms of style of play and his people skills it appears.

LoganK

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
I think a bigger impact would be noticed if the outside shooting became a consistent option/threat.  Harrison was brought in (along with Lindsey) to be used as a scoring option as far as I can tell, and it was expected he would be the best shooter on the team (though it doesn't appear that is saying much).  If Harrison can start hitting outside shots more consistently and scoring in general, it should make GG and Harkless' lives much easier on the inside.  Also, if Sealy grew three inches and put on 50 lbs, that might help too  :P

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
The biggest step up from a player will have to be Phil Greene.  He simply has to be a double-digit scorer and an effective lead mean AND second option from deep.  I'm not sure how much more Moe can do, but I think Harrison has a lot more to offer than what we've seen thus far.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
The biggest step up from a player will have to be Phil Greene.  He simply has to be a double-digit scorer and an effective lead mean AND second option from deep.  I'm not sure how much more Moe can do, but I think Harrison has a lot more to offer than what we've seen thus far.

I think Nuri leaving will have a positive effect on Harrison.  I do think they somewhat clashed if you watched their on court demeanor.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
Actually Harrison would benefit from a guard that could penetrate since he can't get his own shot off. I don't think we should be blaming Nuri for Harrison's shooting. What is next someone going to claim Nuri was the one paying Keita and helped organize the Pitt skank train?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:07:05 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »

I think it'll also be Greene, followed by (in no particular order) Harkless and Harrison.  Maybe, we'll see a more cohesive group the rest of the way.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
 Greene for sure.  Stith is going to also. Actually, who are we kidding, everyone has to step up.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
Greene for sure.  Stith is going to also. Actually, who are we kidding, everyone has to step up.

+1

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »

I think it'll also be Greene, followed by (in no particular order) Harkless and Harrison.  Maybe, we'll see a more cohesive group the rest of the way.
If Phil can stay close to his current A/TO ratio while picking up the assist numbers, that alone would be a huge plus because it will give the team about 3-4 more possessions per game. That combined with Harrison probably receiving more passes for a more good looks per game could translate into some extra points. 

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »

You really want Stith to step up? How so?

I wouldn't want him shooting it any more than he does right now. I think his best contributions are him knowing how to play the zone and him playing relatively mistake free basketball when the team gets rattled.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »
Whether we like it or not, it looks like Stith is going to be playing an extra 10 minutes a game. 

Poison

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
I think Moe Harkless needs to step up from 15 to 20ppg and 7 reb to 10. Is it asking a lot. Sure is but I think he's capable of it.

It looks like Harrison is basically just missing his shots. He's getting looks for the most part, but they are not falling. If we remember, Hardy had the same trouble last Nov/Dec.
Harrison seems to do two things, shoot the 3, and drive to the basket. He's a shooter, but he's going to have to start taking the ten footer, too. I'd like to see him using the whole court.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »

You really want Stith to step up? How so?

I wouldn't want him shooting it any more than he does right now. I think his best contributions are him knowing how to play the zone and him playing relatively mistake free basketball when the team gets rattled.

Yes. exactly.  Smart decisions with the basketball.  I wasn't implying he should take Nuri's shots, goodness no.  Say what you want about Stith, he's the only kid with BE experience on the roster. 

boo3

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »

It looks like Harrison is basically just missing his shots. He's getting looks for the most part, but they are not falling. If we remember, Hardy had the same trouble last Nov/Dec.
Harrison seems to do two things, shoot the 3, and drive to the basket. He's a shooter, but he's going to have to start taking the ten footer, too. I'd like to see him using the whole court.

I haven't been impressed with Harrison's mid range game so far, at all.  He seems too small, gets a lot of his shots blocked.  I'm sure he's better than he's shown so far.  Doesn't seem to be able to create his own space and shot.  This needs to be corrected, or learned. That's why this staff makes the big bucks, right?

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Has to be Greene. Teams only go as far as their pg takes them

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »
Whether we like it or not, it looks like Stith is going to be playing an extra 10 minutes a game. 

Probably not false but this goes to my point even further. Who steps up?

If Stith is in the game 10 more minutes thats 10 more minutes that you have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot/score the ball. If you have GG in there at the same time then you have potentially only 3. Someone needs to be a go-to guy on the offensive end in the half court.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
Harrison has to start hitting shots to open things up for moe.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »

Probably not false but this goes to my point even further. Who steps up?

If Stith is in the game 10 more minutes thats 10 more minutes that you have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot/score the ball. If you have GG in there at the same time then you have potentially only 3. Someone needs to be a go-to guy on the offensive end in the half court.

Right.  I wasn't implying  Malik shoot shoulder more of the offense, clearly that's not really an option any of us want to see.   But he's going to be getting more burn.   The one thing I like that he brings to the table, in addition to bringing the ball up under pressure, and stabilizing the offense, Stith also knows to attack a zone.  When teams have thrown a zone at us, he's one of the few who takes that 2-3 step drive into a zone to get a nearby defender to collapse.  It's not much, but it shows he's more comfortable attacking a zone than Greene and D'angelo at this point.  The benefit of experience, and having been a pg his whole life. 

Scoring-wise we should see more from Pointer now.  He looked better in the Detroit game handling the ball than he has all season to this point.

I would love to see Moe take off.  But I have a hard time seeing the offense run through a sf/pf spot.  Since Lavs got here we've been a very guard, and drive from the permiter-oriented offense.   But I could see them using Moe like they did Brownlee last year, lot's of pick and pops.  That could open him up for a few more 15 ft jumpers. 

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

I haven't been impressed with Harrison's mid range game so far, at all.  He seems too small, gets a lot of his shots blocked.  I'm sure he's better than he's shown so far.  Doesn't seem to be able to create his own space and shot.  This needs to be corrected, or learned. That's why this staff makes the big bucks, right?

Actually, the few times Harrison has shot it from midrange, he seemed to have hit his shots.