Lavin Plans on Signing Five for 2012

• 27 replies
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/16/lavin-plans-on-signing-five-for-2012/

By Adam Zagoria on December 16, 2011, 4:37PM

While St. John’s prepares to play Fordham Saturday at Madison Square Garden, the most important developments for the program are taking place away from New York City.

Johnnies coach Steve Lavin is in Fort Meyers, Fla., at the City of Palms Classic, where he spent Friday afternoon watching Ricardo Gathers and Reserve (La.) Riverside against 2013 point guard Jaren Sina and Gill St. Bernard’s.
The 6-foot-8 Gathers decommitted from St. John’s amid concerns about Lavin’s health and the future of the Big East, but says he’s still considering the Johnnies.

Former St. John’s commit JaKarr Sampson, a 6-8 forward at Brewster (N.H.) Academy, is also considering St. John’s, along with Kansas, Providence, Florida and others. Lavin watched Sampson last month at the National Prep Showcase in New Haven.

St. John’s will have seven recruited scholarship players with the addition of Amir Garrett. Sophomore point guard Nurideen Lindsey recently announced his plans to transfer.
As first reported earlier this week by SNY.tv., the 6-7 Garrett is headed to St. John’s from Bridgton (Maine) Academy Friday, but won’t be cleared in time to suit up for Fordham. It remains unclear exactly when he will suit up.

Sampson, Garrett and 6-10 Norvel Pelle were all declared academically ineligible in September.

Against this backdrop, Lavin, who has been away from the team while recovering from prostate cancer surgery, plans to sign five players from the Class of 2012 in the spring signing period. The hope is that Gathers and Sampson will be among that group, since the Johnnies are woefully undermanned in the frontcourt.

“Being free of cancer was the most important outcome of my treatment,” Lavin told SNY.tv by text Friday. “Now I can turn my attention to taking the necessary steps in the recovery process to regain a higher degree of stamina. In the meantime during my absence from coaching in the games I will continue moving the program forward including establishing priorities.

“One of our current objectives is redoubling our efforts in recruiting the 2012 high school class. We anticipate signing five prospects. The good news is sitting in the stands at a high school practice or game to evaluate a prospect does not tax my energy levels. It was instead my premature return to the strenuous activity of game coaching that set me back in my recuperation.

“I’ve found that striking a balance of attending enough of our team’s practices and yet still getting out on the recruiting trails has been the most effective use of my time and energy while making a full recovery. Using the iphone as a satellite command center for the Johnnies has provided the means to work in concert with my staff and provide direction while still away from the game coaching.”

boo3

Re: Lavin Plans on Signing Five for 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
  Sounds like a plan. Now go get them coach! 

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »

Ya man! We need Gathers in the worst way imo, full press on that guy. So say we have Wood and Gathers, any guesses on the other 3?

Moose

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

Ya man! We need Gathers in the worst way imo, full press on that guy. So say we have Wood and Gathers, any guesses on the other 3?

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Think we still got a chance of Jakarr?

boo3

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Thats what the article said.  I don't feel very confident about him at all, but i'm not nearly as plugged in as most of these other guys on here.   What about this Sina kid to run point?

Moose

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Thats what the article said.  I don't feel very confident about him at all, but i'm not nearly as plugged in as most of these other guys on here.   What about this Sina kid to run point?

Sina is '13.

And yes Ricky- we are still very much in it with Jakarr.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Sina is '13.

We're not making a big statement til 2013 anyway,. Get Gathers,Wood,Obepka this year. Sina next. Phil Greene needs to learn on the job

boo3

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
  No way we look at this Birch clown from Pitt?  He would have to sit out 2 years anyway, right?  Sounds like he's got the Lindsay syndrome.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
  No way we look at this Birch clown from Pitt?  He would have to sit out 2 years anyway, right?  Sounds like he's got the Lindsay syndrome.

Dunlap would kill this guy in practice. Hurt his feelings

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Sina is '13.

We're not making a big statement til 2013 anyway,. Get Gathers,Wood,Obepka this year. Sina next. Phil Greene needs to learn on the job

We need a point guard badly.  Not sure if Green himself can cut it.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »

Jakarr
Obekpa
Take your pick?

Sina is '13.

Absolutely. But are there any PG's left in the 2012 class to make an impact?

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »

Absolutely. But are there any PG's left in the 2012 class to make an impact?

I believe Green can man the PG spot and end up being fairly efficient.  We may also go the JUCO route for a PG. 

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
I'm thinking Woods,Gathers, possibly Jakaar or another true frosh and 2 jucos

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
I personally think Green will develop into a very good pg and possible 2nd team all-conference caliber player by senior year.

Regarding Gathers & Sampson. I dont think we get both. They play the same position and are now in the same class. Which ever guy commits first is the guy we will have, after which i suspect the other guy will head elsewhere.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
I personally think Green will develop into a very good pg and possible 2nd team all-conference caliber player by senior year.

Regarding Gathers & Sampson. I dont think we get both. They play the same position and are now in the same class. Which ever guy commits first is the guy we will have, after which i suspect the other guy will head elsewhere.

I think it was choz who said "point guard is born" not developed. Would love a floor leader in 13

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »

I'm thinking Jakaar is maybe for of a combo 3-4. Harkless won't be here 4 years. I'm hoping 3 and I wouldn't be shocked if it was 2. Jakaar can get plenty of time even if Gathers comes I think

Chilleb

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 11:48:52 PM »
Question.. After going on record saying he's gonna sign 5 guys for 2012, if he dosent succeed or all 5 don't qualify how is lavin viewed?

Moose

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:18 AM »
Question.. After going on record saying he's gonna sign 5 guys for 2012, if he dosent succeed or all 5 don't qualify how is lavin viewed?

You would like to think he is going to get 5.  Most of the time you don't wanna say something unless you can deliver.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 12:20:16 AM »

Even if Greene can man the point, which remains to be seen, we'll need another guard of one type or another regardless.  Sounds like wood is a 2/3, but that still leaves us with 4 guards on the roster, 1 of whom being Stith.   I can't imagine we sign 4 front court players.   Nor should we.  3 is fine, with Gift being a senior, and Moe a combo.

So, yea, I think we can use a point, or combo guard - regardless of whether we think Greene can be a point guard of the future.

And for what it's worth, I'm in the category that thinks he can be a quality Big East pg.  Especially in our system, where we want everyone on the floor to be able to bring the ball up to start the break.