Measuring Stick

• 17 replies

Marillac

Measuring Stick
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »
In 2009-2010 Chris Gaston, as a freshman, was unstoppable against our junior front line of Kennedy, JB1, JB2, Coker, and Evans.  He went for 32 points and 15 boards.  Estwick was also a starter for a much worse 2009-2010 Fordham team, but only got five minutes yesterday.  Gaston had a ton of t.o.'s that game, but we did not have an answer for him when he wasn't killing himself.

Yesterday, Gaston was outscored and outrebounded according to the yahoo box score (11 points, 14 boards) as a junior by our freshman, Moe Harkless (14 points, 16 boards).  This might be the truest measuring stick we'll see all year...a star player that played major minutes two years ago and this year. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:21:09 PM by Marillac »

Re: Measuring Stick
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Unfortunately the teams we got coming up are nothing like Fordham. Harkless was the best player by far on the floor yesterday though. Hopefully thats the case a few more times this year

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
Unfortunately the teams we got coming up are nothing like Fordham. Harkless was the best player by far on the floor yesterday though. Hopefully thats the case a few more times this year

We've got to hope that Garrett comes, and that there is another eligible D1 talent surprising us on Wednesday.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
In 2009-2010 Chris Gaston, as a freshman, was unstoppable against our junior front line of Kennedy, JB1, JB2, Coker, and Evans.  He went for 32 points and 15 boards.  Estwick was also a starter for a much worse 2009-2010 Fordham team, but only got five minutes yesterday.  Gaston had a ton of t.o.'s that game, but we did not have an answer for him when he wasn't killing himself.

Yesterday, Gaston was outscored and outrebounded according to the yahoo box score (11 points, 14 boards) as a junior by our freshman, Moe Harkless (14 points, 16 boards).  This might be the truest measuring stick we'll see all year...a star player that played major minutes two years ago and this year.

Harkless right now has rookie of the year numbers in the big east.  He's the highest scoring freshman in the league and also a top rebounder.  Mo also top 15 in steals.  He'll be here no more than 2 years and rightfully so.  The kid will have made a very good decision for himself coming to SJU and earning 40 minutes per game from the start.  he's the next sure fire  nba talent out of SJU.  He needs another year or so to add weight and strength as well as refine his game just a little bit. He'll be a killer next year.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:41:22 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »

Harkless right now has rookie of the year numbers in the big east.  He's the highest scoring freshman in the league and also a top rebounder.  Mo also top 15 in steals.  He'll be here no more than 2 years and rightfully so.  The kid will have made a very good decision for himself coming to SJU and earning 40 minutes per game from the start.  he's the next sure fire  nba talent out of SJU.

Great post! He impressed the hell out of me yesterday.  Lets see what he does against the big boys. I would love to see Harkless with some fire under his ass

uwsfan

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

Harkless right now has rookie of the year numbers in the big east.  He's the highest scoring freshman in the league and also a top rebounder.  Mo also top 15 in steals.  He'll be here no more than 2 years and rightfully so.  The kid will have made a very good decision for himself coming to SJU and earning 40 minutes per game from the start.  he's the next sure fire  nba talent out of SJU.  He needs another year or so to add weight and strength as well as refine his game just a little bill. He'll be a killer next year.

I agree. I think he could be a POY candidate next season. Hes without a doubt a future lotto pick

desco80

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
Am I the only one here that thinks Moe still needs a considerable amount of work on his game?   

I don't mean to be the Debbie Downer on this issue, he's tremendous, but the more I see of Moe the higher my expectations are for him.  And if he's going to be a lottery pick in next year's draft?  I just don't think he's there yet.   I'd like to see him be more efficient offensively.   He scored on Saturday, but he took alot of shots to get his points.  Just 6-16 from the field, with three turnovers.   

He had his highlights, no doubt- his silky 3 from deep, that drive through the lane he finished with a dunk.   He looks great at times.  But that overshadowed a lot of ill advised shots that really never had a chance of going in. 

With that said, he was the most talented player on the court, and he's a great player.  I just want to see him really flourish.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
Am I the only one here that thinks Moe still needs a considerable amount of work on his game?   

I don't mean to be the Debbie Downer on this issue, he's tremendous, but the more I see of Moe the higher my expectations are for him.  And if he's going to be a lottery pick in next year's draft?  I just don't think he's there yet.   I'd like to see him be more efficient offensively.   He scored on Saturday, but he took alot of shots to get his points.  Just 6-16 from the field, with three turnovers.   

He had his highlights, no doubt- his silky 3 from deep, that drive through the lane he finished with a dunk.   He looks great at times.  But that overshadowed a lot of ill advised shots that really never had a chance of going in. 

With that said, he was the most talented player on the court, and he's a great player.  I just want to see him really flourish.

Most of these kids are drafted on potential, and not where they currently are with their game.  If Mo Harkless is not a top 10 pick, I'll be very surprised.  He has all the tools to be a good-great nba player.  There's really nothing he can't do.  As others have said, I'd love if he got a mean streak and wouldn't dissapear like he tends to do during games, but other than that he looks like a homerun recruit. 

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:24 PM »
That dunk he had in the first half was insane. I want to see more of that from Mo and from Pointer.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »
If Moe stays one more year I think he will be Top 15 in the draft.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
If Moe stays one more year I think he will be Top 15 in the draft.

I would bet that he would be.
He can do everything on a basketball court. I think as he gets stronger hell get more confident. And in time, My guess would be the start of next year, he will go out and dominate.

Mo is the single reason that no matter what happens this  year I am confident in this program going forward.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Mo will flourish even more if we can get guys like Gathers next to him in the frontcourt. 

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:38:58 AM »
Moe money...Moe money...Moe money!!!

tnice

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

+1

Moe may or may not be a lottery pick next year, but I can't imagine why Saturday's game would convince you that he was. As Desco said, except for the two jumpers at the end of the first half and the dunk, he was very underwhelming offensively.

Obviously the kid has mad physical ability and his rebounding has been very impressive. But can we see him knock down jumpers consistently or put the ball on the floor and get to the hole a few times before we make him a POY cadidate and lottery pick? Can we see him dominate one game first? Or try to? He's a very good freshman- flashes of brilliance, a lot of inconsistency, and some work to do to have his skills catch up to the athletic ability. I think he's going to be really good and I'm looking forward to watching him develop. But can we not treat him like he's Harrison Barnes just yet? That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:24:05 PM by tnice »

boo3

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
  Thats all we need, over exuberant fans calling for a lottery pick 1 1/2 years from now.  Can we let the kid actually play and grow at St. John's first?  No wonder these kids ( Nuri) have illusions of grandeur.   He hasn't even played a Big East game yet, you know, against real, tough, long competition... 

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
The funny thing about freshman and draft prospectus is that potential is king.  But things change as sophs.  Expectations are FAR higher and I could see Moe slipping a bit next year in the minds of some scouts because some of the questions go unanswered. I think he stays three years, but, as of right now, I don't see any way this kid stays beyond his junior year unless he wants to earn his degree first. 

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
  Thats all we need, over exuberant fans calling for a lottery pick 1 1/2 years from now.  Can we let the kid actually play and grow at St. John's first?  No wonder these kids ( Nuri) have illusions of grandeur.   He hasn't even played a Big East game yet, you know, against real, tough, long competition... 

Nuri never had a chance.  Chad Ford was insane to make that assessment, and had to have never seen this kid before.  He probalby just went off the hype of some kid in the middle of nowhere throwing up crazy stats.  No-lose situation for Ford...if Nuri blows up and makes is pro, Ford can claim he was the one to discover him...if Nuri fizzled, nobody would remember besides STJ fans.   He is not a point guard!  He's too old and he had the worst form on his jumper that I've seen from a guard in a long time.  He also only possesses average (at best!) NBA athleticisim.  Factor in his age and his horrible defense...and you've got a one-trick pony.  Nuri will never be a factor on a big stage again for the rest of his life...be it in college or pro.  I wouldn't even waste a space for him in the NBDL from a purely talent and skill standpoint.  That is leaving out the questionable character and work ethic.   As good of a story as he is, his ceiling is inches above his head. 

Moe has ideal height and length for his position...something Nuri did not as a tweener.  Mo also has good but not great NBA athletic ability, but is insanely skilled and seems to have all the intangibles.  He's a low-risk kid. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:37:02 PM by Marillac »

tnice

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »

Nuri never had a chance.  Chad Ford was insane to make that assessment, and had to have never seen this kid before.  He probalby just went off the hype of some kid in the middle of nowhere throwing up crazy stats.  No-lose situation for Ford...if Nuri blows up and makes is pro, Ford can claim he was the one to discover him...if Nuri fizzled, nobody would remember besides STJ fans.   He is not a point guard!  He's too old and he had the worst form on his jumper that I've seen from a guard in a long time.  He also only possesses average (at best!) NBA athleticisim.  Factor in his age and his horrible defense...and you've got a one-trick pony.  Nuri will never be a factor on a big stage again for the rest of his life...be it in college or pro.  I wouldn't even waste a space for him in the NBDL from a purely talent and skill standpoint.  That is leaving out the questionable character and work ethic.   As good of a story as he is, his ceiling is inches above his head. 

Moe has ideal height and length for his position...something Nuri did not as a tweener.  Mo also has good but not great NBA athletic ability, but is insanely skilled and seems to have all the intangibles.  He's a low-risk kid.

Based on his play so far this season, which of Moe's skills specifically would you describe as insane?