AMIR

• 61 replies

MCNPA

Re: AMIR
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
Drew Henson, John Elway, DJ Dozier and Deion all did it just to name four I am familar with.

So here's my scam.  A large booster/alumnus of the University of Connecticut is a partial owner of a Class A affiliate of the Montreal Expos.  He offers a blue chip two sport recruit that can't hit the curveball a 2.3 million dollar signing bonus to play on his baseball team.  "Coincidentally",  the young man also signs a letter of intent to play at Ucan't. 

What a great country we live in.

So what you're saying Moose is that we need Mike Repole to buy the Mets and their Class A affiliates... Lol. Jk

The Expos would have to give him the money not the single A team.
The catch is that the player can't walk on and use the pro money to pay for education so it avoids the situation you brought up.
So long as they still count as a scholarship its fair game and like half the other added benefits recruits inevitably get across the country.

So what you're saying Moose is that we need Mike Repole to buy the Mets and their Class A affiliates... Lol. Jk
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:38:51 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
Most recent examples would be Jeremy Bloom and Jarrod Parker
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Drew Henson, John Elway, DJ Dozier and Deion all did it just to name four I am familar with.

Danny Ainge

Trajan Langdon.

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
I think Ricky Williams played football for Texas in the fall and minor league baseball in the spring.

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Scott Burrell - who Malik used to posterize on a nightly basis - threw a baseball around and got paid for it.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

SJU85

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »

Other examples include Brandon Wheeler (Yankee and Dodger Organizations before leaving baseball and going to college where he is currently the starting quarterback for Oklahoma State) and Russell Wilson (currently a member of the Rockies farm system and starting quarterback for Wisconsin).

SJU85

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
Scott Burrell - who Malik used to posterize on a nightly basis - threw a baseball around and got paid for it.

I don't think Burrell ever played professional baseball.  He was drafted in the first round after highschool, but I am not sure he ever pursued it as basketball was his first love.  He is I believe the only player to be drafted in the first round for two different sports (baseball and basketball).

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Standing O for Amir for his loyalty and love of St J's. To Norvelle if indeed you suit up for UNLV or any other university except St J's-break a leg. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:56:09 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
Congrats and welcome aboard Amir!

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
Hopefully coach and Amirwill be ready to go tonight

boo3

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
  There has been no indication that Lavin will be back tonight as far as I know. Once again, he will be back when he is ready.  Not a day before, hopefully. 

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
Hopefully coach and Amirwill be ready to go tonight

There was a quote from dunlap within the last week.  he said lavin maybe back in two weeks .     He left it open that it could be longer.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Official St Johns Announcement
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's head coach Steve Lavin announced Wednesday morning that men's basketball prospect Amir Garretthas achieved initial eligibility requirements as certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center and has enrolled immediately at St. John's University. He will begin collegiate coursework at St. John's when the spring semester begins on Jan. 18, and is eligible to participate in all team activities immediately, including practices and St. John's pre-Christmas tilt with Texas Pan-American on Wednesday, Dec. 21 (7 p.m., ESPN3)

We are pleased to welcome Amir to our Johnnies basketball family. We appreciate his unwavering commitment to the program we are building here at St. John's," said Lavin. "Amir is a person of strong character and an outstanding basketball player. His length, explosiveness, quickness and highly-skilled game make him an ideal fit for our system of play. Amir was the most tenacious competitor that we evaluated in the 2011 recruiting class
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:41:51 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Wont be able to make it out there tonight. Sadly.

I hope y'all give it up to the big fella fo comin thru. Amir!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

I don't think Burrell ever played professional baseball.  He was drafted in the first round after highschool, but I am not sure he ever pursued it as basketball was his first love.  He is I believe the only player to be drafted in the first round for two different sports (baseball and basketball).

He did have an arm though.  That pitch he threw to Tate George was a good one.

LJSA

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
"We appreciate his unwavering commitment to the program we are building here at St. John's," said Lavin.

Amen

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
Amir also credited the fans (who have been vocal on JJ, Redmen an twitter) for being supportive and telling him to keep his head up.  Good for both the fans and Amir here.  Both win.  Happy for this kid and happy to have him on board.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »
Amir also credited the fans (who have been vocal on JJ, Redmen an twitter) for being supportive and telling him to keep his head up.  Good for both the fans and Amir here.  Both win.  Happy for this kid and happy to have him on board.

Hopefully he can tell some other recruits maybe a former HS teammate about us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »

John.Elway.

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »

Hopefully he can tell some other recruits maybe a former HS teammate about us.

Wasn't he trying to get after Bennett for a while to go to SJU?